All-Purpose Off-Season NHL UFA RUMOR & TRADE Thread

DevilinLA

I'm completely agaisnt penalties going their full time (save for majors, obviously). It would just be a cheap way of saying "look at us, we don't have low scoring games any more!" It would make players that much more scared to play a physical game, out of fear that during their 2 minutes in the box, their team goes down by 2, 3, or even 4.

How many more goals do you think would be scored if power plays lasted a full 2 minutes? I don't think very many more, although 5 on 3s could be deadly. League average looks to be about 6 goals per 60 minutes, or 1 goal per 10 minutes at 5 on 4. It looks to be around 20 goals/60 at 5 on 3, or 1 goal every 3 minutes. So, consider that, and then consider that the extra PP time will only exist if a goal is scored, and you're looking at what, 5 more goals per team?

BTW, the rule as it is now is unquestionably a gimmick.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to wish I remember where I read the rundown of stuff - think it was from PuckDaddy, corralled from multiple sources - but league average for time on a 5-4 was 1:30. Going for 2 minutes fully would give an additional 30 seconds to teams, going from the average.

Also had information about conversion rate percentages, and that a very small number of teams were 19%+.

Again, from what I recall, these ideas were being kicked around to make powerplays more dangerous and present more scoring opportunities. Eliminating standard icing for SH teams would prevent the dump-chase-clear approach that stagnates powerplays from getting set up, making it a greater challenge to be on the PK. And the "no line change" penalty on the PK would obviously take its toll. Going back to serving penalties for their full time would theoretically offer attacking teams more chances to put the puck in the net.

So yeah, this is about creating "higher scoring" games, but statistically speaking that's kinda what the NHL is looking for again.

How many more goals do you think would be scored if power plays lasted a full 2 minutes? I don't think very many more, although 5 on 3s could be deadly. League average looks to be about 6 goals per 60 minutes, or 1 goal per 10 minutes at 5 on 4. It looks to be around 20 goals/60 at 5 on 3, or 1 goal every 3 minutes. So, consider that, and then consider that the extra PP time will only exist if a goal is scored, and you're looking at what, 5 more goals per team?

BTW, the rule as it is now is unquestionably a gimmick.

I mean, yeah, I went a little overboard with my post, but I still think that in a tight game, players would be more scared to be physical because there's always the chance that their penalty causes their team to be down by 2, or go from having a lead to being down by 1. It's just another thing that could inadvertently take away the effectiveness of the more physical players in the league. It might be minimal, but it's just a thought I have.

I like the hybrid icing. But, then again, I also like no-touch icing. Always thought one of the stupidest things in sports was to have two men skate at full speed into a wall.

Removing the trapezoid and the goal-line cam should be no-brainers.

"No" to everything else.

I like the hybrid icing. But, then again, I also like no-touch icing. Always thought one of the stupidest things in sports was to have two men skate at full speed into a wall.

Removing the trapezoid and the goal-line cam should be no-brainers.

"No" to everything else.

I agree.

I mean, yeah, I went a little overboard with my post, but I still think that in a tight game, players would be more scared to be physical because there's always the chance that their penalty causes their team to be down by 2, or go from having a lead to being down by 1. It's just another thing that could inadvertently take away the effectiveness of the more physical players in the league. It might be minimal, but it's just a thought I have.

That's fine with me. One of hockey's biggest problems, to me, is that the team that scores first wins an overwhelming majority of the time. Atlanta was the only team that was sub .500 when scoring first. When leading after 2 periods, teams win the game a huge % of the time.

As I've said a billion times on this board, power plays are at a new low, and I haven't heard anything about the league calling more penalties or 'cracking down'. This is one way to increase scoring by removing the restriction on power plays, which again was only put in because the Canadiens were so good at the power play.

Edited by Triumph

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

Per Tg-When I talked to Lamoriello on Tuesday, he said they would be bringing in some veteran(s) as training camp tryouts, but did not want to say which players because the tryout agreements had not been signed yet.

Posted by Tom Gulitti on 08/13 at 10:44 AM

Should I start? Welcome back Madden or Brylin?

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/report_devils_sign_defenseman_peter_harrold/#comments

Per Tg-When I talked to Lamoriello on Tuesday, he said they would be bringing in some veteran(s) as training camp tryouts, but did not want to say which players because the tryout agreements had not been signed yet.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/report_devils_sign_defenseman_peter_harrold/#comments

McCabe, Rivet, Staios, Hale?

Id be pissed if Madden came back. I dont want him anywhere near this team. Brylin I could work with but I wouldnt even know about him.

Drury can GTFO.

Edited by Quinn01

Id be pissed if Madden came back. I dont want him anywhere near this team. Brylin I could work with but I wouldnt even know about him.

Drury can GTFO.

Brylin is so bad Lou said he would actively try to talk him out of trying out for the team. :lol:

These would all be tryout deals so no money involved, except per diem, I believe.

eh, I suppose, assuming he'll go that low. I imagined he'd be interested in around 3. Thinking about it, he probably won't sign for very much given that he's still on the market. It's just that something tells me he has gotten a bit washed up, although I'm not sure how true that is.

If he can get his production anywhere near the way it was a couple years ago, it would make sense. He'll be under DeBoer, and maybe he could even act as a temporary mentor for Larsson to show him the ropes. I'd go for a 2 year deal at around the salary you listed if that were a possibility. I think that would be alright for the team actually, even though it somewhat contradicts shipping out White for the young D core.

This post has gone from anti-McCabe to pro-McCabe within a couple of sentences, but I think it actually isn't a very bad idea. All speculation of course, haha.

McCabe certainly won't sniff anything more than 1.25m/1 year. We have cap space this year to fit him, i wouldn't be upset in the least if we did.

yeah, if you want a totally one (and not even a very good) dimensional player. This guy isnt better than Volchenkov, Tallinder, Greene or Fayne. Probably not better than Taormina and I dont want him blocking someone like Larsson or Urbom

our defense may be average but its going to be hard to beat the devils when the offensive unit is so deep with speed, experience, and youth...

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Palmieri

Parise-Jofeson-Zubrus

Tedenby-Elias-Clarkson

I think we'll see Elias centering Parise and Zubrus. JJ and Teds playing on that 3rd line. People have been saying our offense will be hard to beat or it will be good since we started a season with Kovalchuk in the line-up. I'm going to hold my tongue until I see dominate offense game in and game out.