All-Purpose Off-Season NHL UFA RUMOR & TRADE Thread

DevilinLA

Wow thats a good move by Colombus...lets see if they can sign him and what will be their next moves.

Yeah, but Rolston for JBow? Barring any other specifics, it's a ridiculous idea on CGY's part.

Well you get a contract who is 1.00m less expensive than J-BO's one and its only for 1 year while you ship 6.680m that you would have to carry for the next 3 season to NJ.

In other words we completely get nailed in this trade by receiving an overpaid D-man that we will have to carry on for the net 3 seasons and probably do the whole Brian Rolston's dance again.

If you (Lou) really don't want to sign a UFA puck moving D or trade for one then I prefer to see us playing Larsson than getting a guy like J-Bo

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow thats a good move by Colombus...lets see if they can sign him and what will be their next moves.

Well you get a contract who is 1.00m less expensive than J-BO's one and its only for 1 year while you ship 6.680m that you would have to carry for the next 3 season to NJ.

In other words we completely get nailed in this trade by receiving an overpaid D-man that we will have to carry on for the net 3 seasons and probably do the whole Brian Rolston's dance again.

If you (Lou) really don't want to sign a UFA puck moving D or trade for one then I prefer to see us playing Larsson than getting a guy like J-Bo

On the other side of the coin Calgary gets an aging player to their growing list of aging players that doesn't necessarily fill one of their need. They also lose

another D Man.

How is it the same?

Rolston was old when we got and his hit couldn't be sent down because of age and it was a longer commitment.

It will take Larsson a minimum of 2-3 years to come anything close to 1st pair big minutes at which point White is gone and Volch/Tall are 3 years older... then what?

I'm not saying JB is the answer - but folks here seem to overestimate the immediate impact Adam Larsson is going to have. Look at Doughty? How long did it take him or Hedman and how many up and down seasons did these guys have? Doughty had Blake to shield his minutes? Ohlund was brought in to take top minute responsibility off the young Hedman. Who is going to do that for Larsson?

I'm not saying JB is the answer - but folks here seem to overestimate the immediate impact Adam Larsson is going to have. Look at Doughty? How long did it take him or Hedman and how many up and down seasons did these guys have? Doughty had Blake to shield his minutes? Ohlund was brought in to take top minute responsibility off the young Hedman. Who is going to do that for Larsson?

I agree 100% here.

Huh? Martin Brodeur had a .903 save percentage last year. If anything, we're out of a window to contend because of our goaltender.

the ironic thing about this claim is that volchenkov played fewer minutes than pretty much every defenseman on the team. and where was this minutes eating defenseman on the canucks?

Watch the SC Finals look at the scores - you think those lop-sided totals - there's your answer. OR was that all Louongo?

As well Hamhuis being injured. Hammy may note be a true #1 but VAN did have three 1B type players in Hamhuis, Erhoff, and Bieksa - plus Edler's growth. You can do it this way but there is only one guy like this on the Devils - AV.

cap space does win cups when it's properly used. jay bouwmeester has not shown any evidence of being particularly good at playing defense. he's scored some goals. he's played a ton of minutes, but not particularly well. i also don't see any compelling reason for the flames to trade bouwmeester, because they're in a much worse boat than NJ is wrt having to win a cup right away, because jarome iginla is actually their best player, and their system is actually bare. neither of these things are true with new jersey.

Agreed Cap Space management is part of winning cups - but not the sole goal. All of the recent cup winners and competitors have had to take trade risks to better their team BOS(Horton, Kaberle, Peverly, etc.) being the most recent, but PHI, CHI, VAN and other are included in this list.

You have no evidence of JBou not being defensively responsible. I agree he's soft but he's equally as good as Martin with positioning and decisions - and a MUCH better passer, skater, and playmaker than PM. The biggest asset is he's not made of GLASS like Martin - 82 games consistent. Is he overpaid - sure - but how else (WHICH NO ONE HERE HAS ANSWERED YET) do we acquire TOP players on the blueline in the immediate future. Adam Larsson is NOT that guy YET.

The asking price for top 2-way D men for the future is minimum $6M - so given that - how else do we get someone on NJ's blueline?

Burns will want that, So will Suter (who will be locked up by NSH - or in a bidding war for sure), So will Doughty.....

Edited by DevilinLA

Agreed Cap Space management is part of winning cups - but not the sole goal. All of the recent cup winners and competitors have had to take trade risks to better their team BOS(Horton, Kaberle, Peverly, etc.) being the most recent, but PHI, CHI, VAN and other are included in this list.

You have no evidence of JBou not being defensively responsible. I agree he's soft but he's equally as good as Martin with positioning and decisions - and a MUCH better passer, skater, and playmaker than PM. The biggest asset is he's not made of GLASS like Martin - 82 games consistent. Is he overpaid - sure - but how else (WHICH NO ONE HERE HAS ANSWERED YET) do we acquire TOP players on the blueline in the immediate future. Adam Larsson is NOT that guy YET.

The asking price for top 2-way D men for the future is minimum $6M - so given that - how else do we get someone on NJ's blueline?

Burns will want that, So will Suter (who will be locked up by NSH - or in a bidding war for sure), So will Doughty.....

Bottom line is JBow is not coming to NJ. We're talking about this based on speculation by some random knucklehead on HFBoards. The very idea of sending Rolston in a package for JBow is absolutley ridiculous. The GMs of CGY have made some silly mistakes but they're not the Rangers.

Paul Kariya has decided to retire after 15 seasons in the NHL.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370372

Who? ;)

Bottom line is JBow is not coming to NJ. We're talking about this based on speculation by some random knucklehead on HFBoards. The very idea of sending Rolston in a package for JBow is absolutley ridiculous. The GMs of CGY have made some silly mistakes but they're not the Rangers.

Who? ;)

True - but fun to speculate during this time....

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

Who? ;)

:giggle:

you have no evidence that players like brent burns or jay bouwmeester are actually any good. this is why this 'puck moving defenseman' blather upsets me, because players who are great get lumped in with players who are not great, and the whole concept falls apart.

what top defensemen do is they take the ship and they steer it in the right direction, even against the toughest competition. jay bouwmeester does not do this. he takes the toughest competition that the opponent has and steers the ship to break even. which is what someone like henrik tallinder does for half the price of jay bouwmeester. calgary paid all that extra money for goals which haven't come and for power play ability that might not exist.

and we've seen teams gamble on these big contracts - the leafs now have dion phaneuf weighing down their team. san jose just overpaid a ton for burns - they are going down with the ship, their window is at most 3 years. the devils don't have to do that - if they sign parise, their window is 5 or 6 years.

honestly, i see top defenseman potential in mark fayne. he's unlikely to reach that level, but he has all the skills.

Edited by Triumph

you have no evidence that players like brent burns or jay bouwmeester are actually any good. this is why this 'puck moving defenseman' blather upsets me, because players who are great get lumped in with players who are not great, and the whole concept falls apart.

what top defensemen do is they take the ship and they steer it in the right direction, even against the toughest competition. jay bouwmeester does not do this. he takes the toughest competition that the opponent has and steers the ship to break even. which is what someone like henrik tallinder does for half the price of jay bouwmeester. calgary paid all that extra money for goals which haven't come and for power play ability that might not exist.

and we've seen teams gamble on these big contracts - the leafs now have dion phaneuf weighing down their team. san jose just overpaid a ton for burns - they are going down with the ship. the devils don't have to do that - if they sign parise, their window is 5 or 6 years.

honestly, i see top defenseman potential in mark fayne. he's unlikely to reach that level, but he has all the skills.

Agree and disagree.

But for fun.... and better debate....who's your list of #1 "ship steerers"?

RUMOR UPDATE:

Looks like talk breaking down between NYI and Erhoff per Newsday and Twitter

KatieStrangNYI Katie Strang

Talks broke down between #Isles and Christian Ehrhoff; email sent out from #Isles end to other teams

Thanks for the draft pick Garth!

Edited by DevilinLA

RUMOR UPDATE:

Looks like talk breaking down between NYI and Erhoff per Newsday and Twitter

KatieStrangNYI Katie Strang

Talks broke down between #Isles and Christian Ehrhoff; email sent out from #Isles end to other teams

Thanks for the draft pick Garth!

I hear the conversation between Erhoff and Snow went something like this:

"Christian, how would you like to join the Islanders organization?"- Snow

"No, never, ever. Not for a million cagillion dollars."- Erhoff

"Okay, thanks for your time."-Snow

Fayne will be lucky to be our #6 guy next year. He is good, but will never be a top defensemen.

Man, Manta, too bad we didn't have the internet in the early nineties.

"What! Why did we get Scott Stevens as compensation?!?! We could have had Rod Brind'Amour!!!"- Manta Ray circa 1991

Agree and disagree.

But for fun.... and better debate....who's your list of #1 "ship steerers"?

i'll say for this year, visnovsky and chara were probably the best this year. doughty was very good. pk subban is going to be really good. nicklas lidstrom did not have his usual season - him getting the norris was another in the long list of career achievement awards. and actually brent burns comes out looking very good.

players that are overrated include duncan keith and dan boyle (and of course, bouwmeester).

Edited by Triumph

Man, Manta, too bad we didn't have the internet in the early nineties.

"What! Why did we get Scott Stevens as compensation?!?! We could have had Rod Brind'Amour!!!"- Manta Ray circa 1991

Crap Carp, too bad we didn't have the internet in the early nineties.

"Boy that Alexandre Daigle is going to be a superstar".= Crap circa 1993

Fayne will be lucky to be our #6 guy next year. He is good, but will never be a top defensemen.

how does one hold so many contradictory opinions at once? 'our defense sucks, but a guy who was awesome last year won't be any good and won't be on the team next year?'

i'll be surprised if he's invited to prospects' camp next week.

I think Fayne is an NHLer next season but I hope he attends prospect camp. I think the extra coaching can't hurt and it'll give the team a good measuring stick to use with Urbom, Tao, and Larsson.

how does one hold so many contradictory opinions at once? 'our defense sucks, but a guy who was awesome last year won't be any good and won't be on the team next year?'

Only you can answer that question.

I have never, ever said that Fayne was "awesome". I am sure most hockey people would never say that either.

Fayne is "good" and has potential to develop, not sure how you confused this.

But the same can be said about our other young prospects who will be challenging him for the #6 or #7 spot. You never know what Lou has up his sleeve, but I think he knows we need to build up our defense if we want make the playoffs this year.