Did PHI make the right moves?

DevilinLA

Better or Worse team?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Are they a better or worse franchise as a whole today?

• Better
    • Worse
    • Hate the flyers either way

Losing Carter and gaining Voracek is awash with VanRiemsdyk's development.

But losing a player like Richards, who was the feisty face of the young franchise is something they will not get over.

Holy sh&t! Mark the time and day, Folks! Manta said something critical of a team other than the Devils.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

holmgren's deals would be brilliant if the flyers were rebuilding - if the best players in their core were over 30 and not getting any better. they would have literally just rebuilt in 2 trades.

the problem is, they're not. and supposedly, they're signing a big-time goaltender who is on the bad side of 30. these two trades don't go together with that move. yes, the flyers are still good, and yeah, they will probably be great 2-3 years from now, but pronger will be even older, bryz will be older - it's completely baffling.

I gotta see what else is coming, though yeah, on the surface, these moves (especially in tandem) are shockers. I'm curious to see what dirt comes out on these guys, what locker room issues existed.

Amazing how the Flyers managed to trade off 23 years' worth of contract away. Suddenly Kovy ever being moved doesn't seem as far-fetched as it once did (not saying he's going anywhere, or implying that he should...just saying that I never would have seen contracts of Richards' and Carter's length and cost moving so easily).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

columbus and LA are both in 'win now' mode - those contracts should be great for at least 4 years. what comes after that, who knows.

i didn't think lombardi had the heart to pull off a big move, i thought he was just going to keep collecting prospects until they fired him. i like this move a lot for la, gives them two solid centers.

Holy sh&t! Mark the time and day, Folks! Manta said something critical of a team other than the Devils.

You just don't pay attention then.

I gotta see what else is coming, though yeah, on the surface, these moves (especially in tandem) are shockers. I'm curious to see what dirt comes out on these guys, what locker room issues existed.

Amazing how the Flyers managed to trade off 23 years' worth of contract away. Suddenly Kovy ever being moved doesn't seem as far-fetched as it once did (not saying he's going anywhere, or implying that he should...just saying that I never would have seen contracts of Richards' and Carter's length and cost moving so easily).

That means Smyth and Handzus are probably gone as well.

It's a better deal when it comes to the Devils!!! I certainly appreciate them shipping Richards and Carter far out of town!!

I'm definitely good with it!!

In the short term, the Richards trade doesn't make sense. Especially after signing Bryzgalov to a 9 year deal. But as I mentioned in another thread- if Brayden Schenn is as good as advertised, the Phailures will have gotten themselves a hell of a player. So we may laugh now, but we may not be laughing in 2 or 3 years. A lot of Phailure fans are actually loving this, Carter and Richards were supposedly big problems in the room and off the ice. sh!t went down. I can't wait to find out what it was. I'm actually curious to hear EZTarget's thoughts on this, considering how crazy a day this was down there.

Edited by MadDog2020

In the short term, the Richards trade doesn't make sense. Especially after signing Bryzgalov to a 9 year deal. But as I mentioned in another thread- if Brayden Schenn is as good as advertised, the Phailures will have gotten themselves a hell of a player. So we may laugh now, but we may not be laughing in 2 or 3 years. A lot of Phailure fans are actually loving this, Carter and Richards were supposedly big problems in the room and off the ice. sh!t went down. I can't wait to find out what it was. I'm actually curious to hear EZTarget's thoughts on this, considering how crazy a day this was down there.

The problem is that Schenn's upside is pretty much being as good as Richards.

Flyer fans who are loving this are the kind of fans who like any move. This is an enormous gamble - Carter and Richards may have been huge problems in the room, but they were just fine on the ice. The Flyers have won 6 rounds in 4 years. How many other teams can say that?

Edited by Triumph

The move does give more ice time to Giroux which I would assume is good for him and the team. It also clears up their log jam of centers, Briere and Giroux as the 1/2 pivots doesn't sound too bad and Schenn at 3 should help him develop the right way. They are pretty small down the middle now though.

Maybe too much of this, LOL

jeff+carter+mike+richards+drinking+drunk+girl+boob.jpg

mike-richards-jeff-carter-drinking-drunk-girls.jpg

Edited by 95Crash

The problem is that Schenn's upside is pretty much being as good as Richards.

Flyer fans who are loving this are the kind of fans who like any move. This is an enormous gamble - Carter and Richards may have been huge problems in the room, but they were just fine on the ice. The Flyers have won 6 rounds in 4 years. How many other teams can say that?

I wouldn't really be surprised if Pronger pushed a little for the Richards trade. That's the thing- apparently, the two of them couldn't stand each other. That's a pretty big problem to have. There were factions- the younger guys stuck with Richards, while a lot of the vets sided with Pronger. Again, this is what I've read, but I'm sure there's truth to it, or this wouldn't have happened.

The locker room thing makes the trades look better, but they still dumped 2 of their best players for prospects and cap space to overpay a goalie. It would have been smarter to trade 1 guy and pay less for a decent goalie. They don't need Bryz with Pronger, Timmonen et al. They just need somebody who won't cost them too many games.

Yes it's been crazy down here MadDog. As far as Richards and Carter being off ice issues it was pretty much implied by the media down here. There are lots of picture's of them crashing frat parties, rumors of Richards showing up hungover at practices, etc ... The sad thing is both guys have tons of talent but there only form of off ice workouts appeared to involve a lot of 12 oz weights. I think management just got sick of watching Richards turn and head off ice after a teammate got run.

Is any of this true? I have no idea but it was clear that the older leaders of the team (Pronger, Timonen, Briere) weren't too happy with them. I really think it came down to the Flyers ownership calling them out and then dealing them when they didn't respond. Ed Snider is old and wants to win another Cup before he's in adult diapers. Younger players like JVR hired a professional NHL trainer to work out this summer and Richards and Carter do nothing but rely on their talent.

As pointed out in this thread the Flyers are not done. I expect 1-2 more big moves. There were rumors they were going after Stamkos today which I think are ridiculous but after today who knows.

The Flyers will definitely waive Leighton and might even send Bobrosky to the minors for a season or just trade him outright. They will have close to $15 in CAP space if they do and that's a lot of money to land a big name FA center. There is no doubt this is Pronger's team.

Edited by Eztarget

holmgren's deals would be brilliant if the flyers were rebuilding - if the best players in their core were over 30 and not getting any better. they would have literally just rebuilt in 2 trades.

the problem is, they're not. and supposedly, they're signing a big-time goaltender who is on the bad side of 30. these two trades don't go together with that move. yes, the flyers are still good, and yeah, they will probably be great 2-3 years from now, but pronger will be even older, bryz will be older - it's completely baffling.

I can't really say it better than this... there have to be more moves coming for them right?

As pointed out in this thread the Flyers are not done. I expect 1-2 more big moves. There were rumors they were going after Stamkos today which I think are ridiculous but after today who knows.

Why the **** would Tampa trade Stamkos? Єklund (2.3% accurate) brought him up for Toronto, so now I'm a bit confused here. If they don't have the money for him then they should fold the franchise.