2011 Lineup and Battles

Jas0nMacIsaac

The 2011 training camp will be very interesting on defense, one of the more talented groups coming in since 1998 or 1999. Here is what I see as some of the battles.

Zach Parise - Travis Zajac - Danius Zubrus

Ilya Kovalchuk - Jacob Josefson - Nick Palmieri

Brian Rolston/Adam Henrique - Patrik Elias - Mattias Tedenby

Rod Pelley - David Steckel - Vladimir Zharkov

Henrik Tallinder - Mark Fayne

Anton Volchenkov - Adam Larsson/Alexander Urbom

Colin White - Matt Taormina

Martin Brodeur

?

On the verge:

Adam Henrique - If we can move a contract like Brian Rolston Henrique and Larsson both jump in.

Alexander Urbom - All depends if Larsson fits in, half a year in the AHL wont hurt him.

First Look:

Eric Gelinas - Had an impressive year for St John, hardest shot in the organization.

Brandon Burlon

Clarkson I forgot and for good reason, dump him or Zubrus.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this thread. I'm thinking about it too.

I disagree with you on Larsson. I think if he's as billed, there is no reason at all a decision should be made until he gets on the ice and participates with the team. I also think that if we do not sign Andy Greene, which I don't even give 50% to right now, Larsson's got a spot open if he plays into it. If Greene is re-signed and no other flack jettisoned (Rolston, Zubrus, Clarkson, Salvador) than I think its going to be tougher to fit Larsson and the decision has already been made.

As for battles, I think you set the table well. I'd also really love to see Henrique or Josefson breakout the way Gomer broke out his first full year with us.

I think the most important thing right now is getting a coach in and seeing if we can wean some idea of his philosophy. I'd also like to see some of this deadweight traded to open more slots to re-mold the team. I'm really curious to see how Rolston is approached this year and aside from our younger players, Zubrus is easily the most tradeable piece right now.

I'm perfectly fine with Larsson spending another year in Sweden if he isn't completely ready. There is no need to rush him and the extra year of development can only help, plus I've read he would be getting more PP time on his team next season which is something he didn't get this past year.

Urbom will definitely get a shot to make the team again but I don't see how another year in the AHL can hurt him, or even a half year as you mentioned. Perhaps playing the bulk of the year in the AHL with some NHL call ups may be best for him. Camp is really going to be interesting for the organization to gauge these guys.

I doubt it will happen but I would love it if they could find a way to get rid of Rolston. I can live with the cap hit since its his final year but I hate how he is taking up a roster spot that could be used for a player like Henrique.

I agree with you on Clarkson, I wouldn't mind if they found a way to deal him. I love his attitude but thats about the only positive he brings to the table.

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

Get ride of Rolston for Henrique i think they should send Rolston away... Maybe to Florida since they need 25million to hit the lower cap? I see no Greene in this D line Up but am fine with that Urbom seems decent and can develop pretty well. Zajac was always better paired with Parise over Ilya. Could do without Pelly or Zharkov but whatever Lou wants, its not the Full on Season yet need to see what we got...

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

I would rather see Zubrus stay with Elias if able and see Rolston and/or Salvador go maybe both? Ship to Florida they could use them and get a later draft pick since we don't really need any players

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.300m) / Travis Zajac ($3.887m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)

Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.666m) / Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Mattias Tedenby ($0.875m)

Nick Palmieri ($0.801m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / Brian Rolston ($5.062m)

Rod Pelley ($0.550m) / Dave Steckel ($1.100m) / David Clarkson ($2.666m)

Vladimir Zharkov ($1.000m)

DEFENSEMEN

Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m)

Colin White ($3.000m) / Alexander Urbom ($0.856m)

Mark Fayne ($0.542m) / Matthew Taormina ($0.510m)

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($5.200m) / Johan Hedberg ($1.500m)

BUYOUTS: Jay Pandolfo ($0.833m) / Andrew Peters ($0.166m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,444,168; BONUSES: $550,000

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $3,855,832

Never mind the lines but I think this shows we could afford to keep Larsson around this year if he is ready

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

Thanks for putting up the Salaries. I think some players here if they stay should take a pay cut( Rolston, Clarkson). Elias is a career guy here but is highly priced so is Zharkov IMO for a guy who gets a goal a year

Thanks for putting up the Salaries. I think some players here if they stay should take a pay cut( Rolston, Clarkson). Elias is a career guy here but is highly priced so is Zharkov IMO for a guy who gets a goal a year

A couple things: First off, contract cannot be renegotiated once they are signed in the NHL. Not like in football where many players restructure their contracts to help the team. Secondly, those are the cap hits, not necessarily the salaries. I estimated Zharkov and Parise because they are restricted free agents (RFA's).

For anyone wondering, Henrique would make 846k and Urbom 870k.

I think we can really ship Rolston to a team like Florida...looking at the numbers he has put this year I think that yes its not enough for the money he is getting, but its definitely some decent numbers at 14 goals and 20 assists in 65 games and probably good enough for a team who is trying to reach the cap floor.

However I'm asking myself. What do we do with the 5 millions of Rolston if we manage to ship him. Do we go for a UFA D-man that can move the puck ? Is it the type of money you keep for the trade deadline in case your in a good position and you want to add a good piece to your team before the playoffs ?

I think there's far too much to consider here, especially on the blue line. Greene, Salvador, Corrente, Salmela, and Fraser all have to be part of the conversation if RFA Taormina is being considered re-signed already. Also, it would be nice to have Hedberg back, but who knows. It seems as if Lou has focused almost completely on the draft so far this offseason outside of that last minute effort to sign Parise before the arbitration deadline, or he's been doing work behind the scenes and forcing everyone to lie and say that he hasn't communicated with anyone.

As far as Larsson goes, I think it's a win-win no matter what. If he wants to play another year overseas, so be it. It's good, competitive hockey, and it can only help him get better. However, if given the opportunity and he wants to play here next year, it's one year sooner that he can start adjusting to the North American style of hockey and NHL level of play.

I think there's far too much to consider here, especially on the blue line. Greene, Salvador, Corrente, Salmela, and Fraser all have to be part of the conversation if RFA Taormina is being considered re-signed already. Also, it would be nice to have Hedberg back, but who knows. It seems as if Lou has focused almost completely on the draft so far this offseason outside of that last minute effort to sign Parise before the arbitration deadline, or he's been doing work behind the scenes and forcing everyone to lie and say that he hasn't communicated with anyone.

This is just my opinion/speculation but I think its highly likely the Devils are going to let Greene get his $ elsewhere. I'm a Salvador fan but after what he's been through, I wonder if he would just decide its not worth the risk and retire or try to work with the Devils to get placed on the LTIR when the season begins so he still gets his money and his cap hit would be off the books. I'd be surprised if Lou brings back either Salmela or Fraser with all the depth on the blue line in Albany now. I wish them the best wherever they end up. Corrente is the only guy out of that group I see sticking around.

Putting Larsson in the lineup this year is throwing money down a deep hole. I know it's possible on the cap, but it's almost certainly not a good idea. He'll get a ton of minutes in Skeftellea next year, leave him there or in the AHL. Rather than stacking the deck against him in North America, it's probably best to leave him in Sweden.

Putting Larsson in the lineup this year is throwing money down a deep hole. I know it's possible on the cap, but it's almost certainly not a good idea. He'll get a ton of minutes in Skeftellea next year, leave him there or in the AHL. Rather than stacking the deck against him in North America, it's probably best to leave him in Sweden.

Thanks a bunch sergeant buzzkill.

However I'm asking myself. What do we do with the 5 millions of Rolston if we manage to ship him. Do we go for a UFA D-man that can move the puck ? Is it the type of money you keep for the trade deadline in case your in a good position and you want to add a good piece to your team before the playoffs ?

If Greene's willing to take $2.5M or so for 1 more year, I'd definitely jump on that and leave Larsson in the SEL for one more year. Triumph brings up a good point, too. It saves us money for an extra season if Larsson stays in Sweden, and at this point in their careers, I'd much rather have Greene for this upcoming season than Larsson. So far, though, it seems Lou disagrees haha.

Edited by bdubdevs

Don't thank me - in 5 games, half the board will be screaming that Larsson isn't ready. Or just go check hockey-reference and look up the 18 year old seasons available there.

It's two days after the draft. Can't we just have a little bit of fun before the number crunching. Just live a little.

If Greene's willing to take $2.5M or so for 1 more year, I'd definitely jump on that and leave Larsson in the SEL for one more year. Triumph brings up a good point, too. It saves us money for an extra season if Larsson stays in Sweden, and at this point in their careers, I'd much rather have Greene for this upcoming season than Larsson. So far, though, it seems Lou disagrees haha.

Re-signing Andy Greene at $2.5 even for one year? In the words of Judd (Fred Gwynne) from Pet Semetary... "Don't go down that road."

The comparable Victor Hedman stepped straight in from the SEL and posted 20 points and a -3. If Larsson somehow does crack the lineup its not like he will put up 50 points(if ever) and be this huge shutdown d man. Too many Devil fans are looking at him as being the next Lidstrom or Niedermayer and are expecting huge production numbers unfortunately. I'm not sure if he's ready but Conte/Lou seem to think so and they are some of the best in the business.

We also have a surplus of defensive prospects/verging players looking to crack the lineup(Larsson, Urbom, Gelinas, Fayne, Salmela, Taormina, Fraser, Eckford, Corrente). Since White, Volchenkov, Tallinder, and presumabley Greene all have spots I think its time Lou tries to package one of Taormina/Eckford, and as stated quite often Zubrus/Clarkson to gain some slight cap room and free up this clog and give these guys a shot at cracking a lineup permanently. I feel as though Corrente and Eckford's chance to make the team has passed. We'll see.

I was only suggesting the Greene signing for $2.5M or whatever for one year IF, and only if, Rolston or Zubrus and Clarkson or whoever ended up being dealt, and we had some extra cash to spend. Do I think that will happen? Unfortunately not, but it's a nice thought.

Back to Larsson, all I'm saying is that for this upcoming season, and only this upcoming season, he's probably not as good an option as the alternatives. As anxious as I am to see Larsson rocking the red, and I think he's capable now of stepping into a conservative Devils system and succeeding, I think that more experienced players are better options. For me, that includes Greene, (a healthy) Salvador, Fayne, Salmela, Taormina, Urbom, and Corrente. If it's between Fraser and Larsson, I'll take Larsson. I don't think Gelinas is ready and I've given up on Eckford.

As excited as I am to see him play, I agree that he should probably go back to Sweden for one more season. With David Rundblad most likely coming over to the NHL, Larsson can fill in Rundblad's role and play in more offensive situations and on the PP. He will likely see a huge jump in offensive production like Rundblad did from two seasons ago to the previous one. This will be good for his development and it will be easier for us to fit him after this season too.