Should we fear the Islanders?

Derlique

What? Almost no one is a good bet to score 30.

So the fact that Tavares had (29) Moulson (31) Grabner (34) means they won't do it again with a better and healthy team?

With a healthy Strait, Okposo and possibly Niderreiter, I would not be surprised if all three of these players had 30 along with Parenteau. The Isles POTENTIALLY could be scary.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IS this fvcking serious?

FEAR? FEAR? FEAR... really?

We should FEAR no one. We play our game, and we always RESPECT the opposition - or it will bite you in the ass.

FEAR the Islanders is ludicrous, with the level of talent and upcoming talent on this team we shouldn't be afraid of anything - and for the record I'm glad that the NYI's are going to get better - but nothing to fear.

We have 2(if ZP signs) of the top 10 forwards in the game today.

We just landed the best defensive prospect since 2008 in the draft - a cornerstone of a franchise.

We have a nasty, gritty 1B defensman in Volchenkov. Good depth in Tallinder and White.

We have a number of vets who are both leaders and fulfill roles nicely for aging players (Brodeur, Elias, White)

We have age balance relative to the team in talent (Yayo, Teddy, Npalm and potetially - Henrique/Urbom/Merrill)

We have a good stacked cupboard of prospects.

We have a proven vet goaltender - who with an adequate workload - can win many games.

The only thing we need is a TOP PAIRING defensman to lead the backend AND get rid of some albatross contracts (Rolston, Zubrus) and maybe add some cheap grit on the 4th line for depth.

Franchises can worry and prophecize about how good they may or will be in 2015 if they want - personally - I don't think NJ has to wait that long (or should ) for success.

Edited by DevilinLA

IS this fvcking serious?

FEAR? FEAR? FEAR... really?

We should FEAR no one. We play our game, and we always RESPECT the opposition - or it will bite you in the ass.

FEAR the Islanders is ludicrous, with the level of talent and upcoming talent on this team we shouldn't be afraid of anything - and for the record I'm glad that the NYI's are going to get better - but nothing to fear.

We have 2(if ZP signs) of the top 10 forwards in the game today.

We just landed the best defensive prospect since 2008 in the draft - a cornerstone of a franchise.

We have a nasty, gritty 1B defensman in Volchenkov. Good depth in Tallinder and White.

We have a number of vets who are both leaders and fulfill roles nicely for aging players (Brodeur, Elias, White)

We have age balance relative to the team in talent (Yayo, Teddy, Npalm and potetially - Henrique/Urbom/Merrill)

We have a good stacked cupboard of prospects.

We have a proven vet goaltender - who with an adequate workload - can win many games.

The only thing we need is a TOP PAIRING defensman to lead the backend AND get rid of some albatross contracts (Rolston, Zubrus) and maybe add some cheap grit on the 4th line for depth.

Franchise can worry about how good they will be in 2015 if they want - personally - I don't think NJ has to wait that long (or should ) for success.

Perhaps FEAR was the wrong word.

Perhaps FEAR was the wrong word.

Maybe I overreacted, but the idea of fearing another team seems at odds with what the NJ devils stand for.

If the topic is "Will the NYI be better than last year...?"

Then unabashedly ... yes.

Maybe I overreacted, but the idea of fearing another team seems at odds with what the NJ devils stand for.

If the topic is "Will the NYI be better than last year...?"

Then unabashedly ... yes.

I think you hit the nail on the head. As everyone here recognizes that the NYI WILL be better next year, but NO ONE predicted they will win the SC, in fact most people here have them, at best ,sneaking into the #8 seed.

We should fear them every year since they manage to beat us most of the time

Because we underestimate them, we should no longer.

Edited by MantaRay

well the atlantic division will be the best division in the NHL hands down now if the islanders can get it together

Us with Parise and Kovalchuk long term, Larsson and all the kids coming up too

Pittsburgh with crosby and malkin coming back

Rangers with Richards coming in and drury coming out

Flyers with all the new guys, Couturier and Bryzgalof

Islander with all those good kids and maybe erhoff and Streit

Close with the Pacific i guess... depends on how the Islanders are doing compare to Dallas

So the fact that Tavares had (29) Moulson (31) Grabner (34) means they won't do it again with a better and healthy team?

With a healthy Strait, Okposo and possibly Niderreiter, I would not be surprised if all three of these players had 30 along with Parenteau. The Isles POTENTIALLY could be scary.

Agreed here. I think on a healthy Isles team, Moulson, Tavares and Grabner should all have 30 goals. Okposo should hit 20-25 if healthy also. I think the Isles definitely have a solid chance of sneaking into the playoffs. Goaltending will be the issue. DP is Mr. Glass, but Montoya played like he was supposed to when he was drafted. It'll be interesting to see if he will be able to continue it. Then theres the Nabokov thing or one of their younger goalies.

Again, wouldn't be shocked to see them in the 7 or 8 slot at all.

Agreed here. I think on a healthy Isles team, Moulson, Tavares and Grabner should all have 30 goals. Okposo should hit 20-25 if healthy also. I think the Isles definitely have a solid chance of sneaking into the playoffs. Goaltending will be the issue. DP is Mr. Glass, but Montoya played like he was supposed to when he was drafted. It'll be interesting to see if he will be able to continue it. Then theres the Nabokov thing or one of their younger goalies.

Again, wouldn't be shocked to see them in the 7 or 8 slot at all.

Look out Amber is going to call you Ecklund now!!!

yep, pretty much. who says those guys will be healthy, for one? and then there's simple regression.

that would make them a top 5 offense in the league, so yeah, i don't think that's going to happen. again, 29 players had 30 goals, and the vast majority were under 35. anecdotally, it seemed like penalties were down in the 2nd half of the season. if that trend continues, almost no one is a favorite to score 30 goals. many players will do it.

Edited by Triumph

Look out Amber is going to call you Ecklund now!!!

If I was Ecklund, I'd also add that my sources say they will be trading us Streit for Rolston (e5) :giggle:

I'd say at best, if everything goes right for the Isles, they could finish 5th or 6th at the very best case scenario. I'd expect 8th - 11th is more realistic. But they have quite a future if they hold onto to this talent.

yep, pretty much. who says those guys will be healthy, for one? and then there's simple regression.

that would make them a top 5 offense in the league, so yeah, i don't think that's going to happen. again, 29 players had 30 goals, and the vast majority were under 35. anecdotally, it seemed like penalties were down in the 2nd half of the season. if that trend continues, almost no one is a favorite to score 30 goals. many players will do it.

Just admit you didn't realize the Islanders had three 30 scorers when you made your "insightful analysis" that only 29 players had 30 goals. This mad scramble to rationalize just isn't working.

If I was Ecklund, I'd also add that my sources say they will be trading us Streit for Rolston (e5) :giggle:

I'd say at best, if everything goes right for the Isles, they could finish 5th or 6th at the very best case scenario. I'd expect 8th - 11th is more realistic. But they have quite a future if they hold onto to this talent.

Agreed

KatieStrangNYI Katie Strang

Talks broke down between #Isles and Christian Ehrhoff; email sent out from #Isles end to other teams

So much for the NYI rebuild acceleration.....

No surprise. He will be UFA on Friday.

Just admit you didn't realize the Islanders had three 30 scorers when you made your "insightful analysis" that only 29 players had 30 goals. This mad scramble to rationalize just isn't working.

lol since when did they have 3 30 goal scorers? is 29 equal to 30 now?

i looked at the entire list of 30 goal scorers. yes, there are 2 islanders on it. yes, i would bet at even money against either one scoring 30 goals next season.

lol since when did they have 3 30 goal scorers? is 29 equal to 30 now?

i looked at the entire list of 30 goal scorers. yes, there are 2 islanders on it. yes, i would bet at even money against either one scoring 30 goals next season.

Your going to split hairs over 29 vs 30?

I would have been much richer betting against you over these years because you have no idea what your talking about.

I am going to take you up on this bet. A $50 donation to the site if either Grabner, Tavares or Moulson has 30 goals this season.

I would have been much richer betting against you over these years because you have no idea what your talking about.

I am going to take you up on this bet. A $50 donation to the site if either Grabner, Tavares or Moulson has 30 goals this season.

Id say 2 out of 3 is more fair lol

that's not the bet i offered. the fact that you think i offered that bet means you probably misunderstand a lot of what i say.

the bets i offered were as follows:

grabner will not score 30 goals

moulson will not score 30 goals

i'd bet either of these at even money. tavares i'd have to think about, i'd probably bet that at like 5 to 4.

i also said, though i didn't explain it well, that i would bet at even money that none of the 3 will have 30 goals versus all 3 having 30 goals. so if all 3 have 30 goals, you win. if none have 30 goals, i win. if 1 or 2 of them have 30 goals, it's a push.

Edited by Triumph

We will be strong enough(I hope :unsure: )that the Islanders pose no serious threat as too pushing us out of the division lead or whatnot.

They don't even have Erhoff, their goaltending is average at best, and although they may make the playoffs(they have a good chance)we seem to overpower them in every position, no?