Captain?

Bibby89

I'm hoping they are just waiting to get the Parise situation settled before naming him captain. But in the rare chance they don't, who would you like to see?

I guess Elias would be the next choice, being they took it away from him for that loser Langenbrunner.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping they are just waiting to get the Parise situation settled before naming him captain. But in the rare chance they don't, who would you like to see?

I guess Elias would be the next choice, being they took it away from him for that loser Langenbrunner.

Oh boy, here we go again.

I dont know if Parise should get it. Im not saying he doesnt deserve it, it just seems that there are a few other players that should be offered it first: Zajac, White or Zubrus.

Negative. Elias got it but his own personal game suffered greatly. It wasnt taken away from him to be given to Langs. Infact, I think Elias decided himself he didnt want it.

Edited by Quinn01

I dont know if Parise should get it. Im not saying he doesnt deserve it, it just seems that there are a few other players that should be offered it first: Zajac, White or Zubrus.

Zajac has never even worn an A, there's no way they'd make him captain over Parise. Zubrus is the same, maybe he's worn an A here or there but not regularly. White might be a candidate, but I don't see him getting the C over Parise either.

Negative. Elias got it but his own personal game suffered greatly. It wasnt taken away from him to be given to Langs. Infact, I think Elias decided himself he didnt want it.

Both of those statements are untrue. His game did not "suffer greatly". He had a strong season, 21-48-69 in 75 games. And it was stripped from him by Sutter, he didn't willingly give it up.

if parisé is not the captain.. Why not Kovalchuk... I mean after parisé he is our leader on the ice.... Maybe not a speachfull captain but if he play the rest of his contract like he did in the second half this year, i cant see why he cant be our captain...

Zajac has never even worn an A, there's no way they'd make him captain over Parise. Zubrus is the same, maybe he's worn an A here or there but not regularly. White might be a candidate, but I don't see him getting the C over Parise either.

Both of those statements are untrue. His game did not "suffer greatly". He had a strong season, 21-48-69 in 75 games. And it was stripped from him by Sutter, he didn't willingly give it up.

Im not saying Zajac would take it or not, it just seems like he should be offered it. Same with Zubrus. For as long as those two have been with the Devils, they have both worked hard every night and seem to remain professional off the ice also. Elias does deserve it. I always thought that he kinda choked under the pressure of the C. It always seemed that he wasnt "himself" with it on his chest. If I could give it to anyone on the roster right now, Elias would be my first choice. No one really stands out that deserves it besides Patty. Id be happy with 3 A's again. Just in my opinion, Parise does not deserve it. Maybe next season if he shows he actually wants it but not this coming. If not Elias then White.

if parisé is not the captain.. Why not Kovalchuk... I mean after parisé he is our leader on the ice.... Maybe not a speachfull captain but if he play the rest of his contract like he did in the second half this year, i cant see why he cant be our captain...

Just because he is a strong player doesnt mean he should automatically get the C. Being a captain, communication is a HUGE key. You need to be able to set disputes straight, keep the moral up, and kinda be the middle man between the higher ups and the players.

Edited by Quinn01

I don't think Parise should get the "C" until he is signed long term. I don't see him signing long term this coming season because it's better for the Devils to have him coming off arbitration. I don't think Kovy should get the "C" because in the beginning he was a locker room problem and hasn't really produced for the Devils consistently. White is on his way out. Zubrus doesn't deserve. Elias was the one consistent player last season and should get the "C" if we have to have one.

I don't think Parise should get the "C" until he is signed long term. I don't see him signing long term this coming season because it's better for the Devils to have him coming off arbitration. I don't think Kovy should get the "C" because in the beginning he was a locker room problem and hasn't really produced for the Devils consistently. White is on his way out. Zubrus doesn't deserve. Elias was the one consistent player last season and should get the "C" if we have to have one.

Just like i said if he still playing like he did in second half (Kovalchuk)

And Kovalchuk is not the guy who talk a lot but great captain like bob gainey wasnt speachfull and the were good captain anyway...

but the next coach will identify the guys that the other take example on... Us we just dont know how they are in the loker room...

But Zubrus is not a bad idea...

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

The team said they want parise as their captain and i remember hearing something that Elias doesn't want to be Captain he wants to keep the "a" White has worn an "A" but do not think he deserves the "C" I know Salvador was a guy who wore the "A" before Kovy came along but seems he is out of the Picture. Bottom line is the team wants Parise with it if not Elias is biggest on the list

Taking last year into account the natural choice is Elias, since he basically became the acting C of the team. Kovalchuk also stepped up and seemed more vocal in Parise's absence. Not sure I would really want Kovy as the captain though...he already has enough pressure perform.

I think it will be Zach Parise next Devils captain. Sure he already knows that and wouldn't be suprised that a clause to be in his contract saying he is the captain of this Devils team until the day/year or career of his contract ends. If not Parise, I could see Ilya Kovalchuk be the next captain since he has that experience already and will be here for the next 14-years.

Parsie is the first choice, but other than him I would have literally no idea who it should go to. Maybe Jay Leech

In all seriousness though, I'd consider giving the C to White if Patty doesn't want it. Kovalchuk in the future, but I don't think it's a good time yet.

Why would you give the "C" to someone in his last year here? (White) Kovy would turn it down (rightfully so) Zach has been the leader in the lockeroom, Marty and Langenbruner said that 2 years ago. "It's his team now" (Parise) There is no other choice. Suppose another coach came in and took the "C" away from Patty again. Patty wouldn't/shouldn't accept it. Zach is the only choice imo.

new coach, new team....give it to who deserves it. Don't wait for someone to get healthy. Don't go in with a guy already named...let them practice, get some good preseason games in and name the guy before the season. If its Elias, Parise, White, Kovy....whoever, as long as they earned it...

new coach, new team....give it to who deserves it. Don't wait for someone to get healthy. Don't go in with a guy already named...let them practice, get some good preseason games in and name the guy before the season. If its Elias, Parise, White, Kovy....whoever, as long as they earned it...

My thoughts too (in addition to GR's), let the dust settle and name the Cap'n then

I think Elias deserves the C again. We have already seen what one letter has done for some players like Elias and Langenbrunner in their first year as captain. Why put the added pressure of giving it to Parise on either a 1-year contract or the first year of a large massive deal. Doesn't seem necessary at all.

Elias is the veteran skater in the locker room right now and is very well respected. He'll be here for a few more years and we know (well from the TG quotes) he's a lot more outspoken when things aren't going well and feels more comfortable now than he did in 2007. It isn't like he did anything wrong the first time around either. Sutter had his reasons, and he's gone now. We also know a lot of the things he did that first season were not the best ideas, and he learned a lot that season as well. Looking back, he might not have taken the C away from Patty.

Edited by devilsrule33

I think its Patty's. I don't think he's reluctant to do it anymore and with the influx of Europeans on our team that are really young, I think he has a great shot at relating to them well in that sort of position. The 2nd year can be frustrating for some players, so I think a strong presence like Patty will do well for guys like Josefson and Tedenby. I think it is eventually Zach's, but Patty has the seniority and his captain abilities were evident this year. I saw a lot of him gameplanning on the bench or discussing what happened a moment ago with players regularly.

However, if Patty did not want it and Zach did, it's clearly him. However, its not cut and dry right now considering the contract situation. If he's going to walk next year, I don't want him to be a captain. If Patty didn't want it and Zach was leaving, it'd clearly have to go to Kovy at that point.

Why do you add an accent mark on the e?

how the frick do you even do that if you wanted to?

:noclue:

He's from Quebec and I think his first language is French. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) The pronunciation of Parise probably leads him to believe it's spelled with an É rather than an E.

Many Canadian keyboards, especially those used in Quebec, have keys that allow you to type accented characters. (Wikipedia: Keyboard Layouts: Canadian French and Canadian Multilingual Standard)

Fun fact: You can do it in the US too if you change your keyboard mapping and can remember the key combinations to produce the accents. (Wikipedia: Keyboard Layouts: US-International)

Everybody im sorry english isn't my first languague.. that why i put wrote parisé instead of parise ... i will correct myself

Don't worry man. I too was putting and accent on the "E" before getting a little better in English and realizing that there was no accents in English :doh1:

Edited by SS-SS

Zack should be the Captain regardless of signing the long term contract this year or not. If he is only on for one, it is incentive for him, he gets to try it on and run the team and get drunk with it :koolaid: and sign the big contract later in / after the season. If he inks long term, then he is OBVIOUSLY THE guy. His work ethic is awesome and he digs in EVERY shift. He IS a role model, regardless of your age!

Why do you add an accent mark on the e?

how the frick do you even do that if you wanted to?

:noclue:

Oh fòólish pãdawàn. Só much tó léàrn still! Accénts aré fun. Nó? :whistling:

Fun fact: You can do it in the US too if you change your keyboard mapping and can remember the key combinations to produce the accents.

or use ALT codes. cool.gif

I doubt any of us know who the true leaders of the team are in the locker room. I don't care if the C is on Rolston as long as the team plays hard and wins.