Captain?

Bibby89

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Luongo gave up the C because he said he felt he couldn't be as vocal on the bench during the game since he was in net. So then they went and gave it to Sedin, eventually it would have been him anyway, it just made it happen sooner. Not a direct quote but I thought he did say something along those lines.

They are not allowed ??? I think they are allowed or they wouldn't have done it at all.

Vancouver didn't have a true captain for its official role in disputes... one of the A's would speak with the refs about plays, etc.

Luongo was their lockeroom and team captain... but couldn't do much in game.

I would give to C to kovy, because I thought, that for the 2nd half last year, kovy played with leadership and was an example on the ice, and he worked realy hard. If not kovy, give it to elias. For Parise, I don't wan't him to get the C, and leave for another team next year. Give him the A instead.

Edited by Devs3cups

Just give it to Larsson right now.

I mean, Parise is clearly the captain of this team if he signs long-term. So what does that mean? It probably means that in any case, for this season, we'll have someone acting as captain who won't be next season... unless they chance giving it to Parise betting he'll return.

Personally, who gives two craps if they gamble on Zach? It's not like some passing of the captaincy torch like it used to be in Montreal where it really meant something. Players move teams far too frequently nowadays. It doesn't mean what it did.

I'd give it to Zach. Sign of good faith. If he returns, we already have our captain. If not, they'll give it to someone else. Kovalchuk.

That'd be my plan. If you want a plan B and NJ is entirely opposed to the Zach "gamble," they could rightfully return it to Elias, last year's supreme leader and rightful captain. He deserves it for another year.

Give it the most quiet leader and consistent player on the team Travis Zajac.

I agree. If Elias doesnt want it offer it up to Zajac. Then go to Parise.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did Vancouver at one point make Lou their Captain just for the hell of it?

How would everyone feel about Marty getting the C, not that a goaltender as a captain is the best choice on the ice, off the ice I think hed be great and with two A's out there, Elias and Kovy, itd get the job done.

Edited by Quinn01

This is a tricky situation, I feel Zach is 50/50 about returning to the Devils next season and beyond. He's probably gonna see how this season goes and decide, so if you give him the "C" and the team does well, maybe he'll really want to stay, but if he see's someone else get the "C", he'll be thinking this team isnt for him anymore and want to bolt.

This is a tricky situation, I feel Zach is 50/50 about returning to the Devils next season and beyond. He's probably gonna see how this season goes and decide, so if you give him the "C" and the team does well, maybe he'll really want to stay, but if he see's someone else get the "C", he'll be thinking this team isnt for him anymore and want to bolt.

If the C is going to be used as a pawn, its going to loose all meaning. That would be a HUGE slap to every other player on the team.

If thats what its going to take to get ZP to stay....I say let him walk.

but then NOT giving the C to Parise is just as stupid. Give it to whoever is the clearest leader - no thought to contract. I'm not sure Kovalchuk is ready as of yet. He still speaks as if he's learning a lot and might need to focus more on his own game for a little bit.

Parise seems like a logical guy to step up because he had such a clear and objective view of things from the stands. I'm sure there is ton of stuff he wants to look at from a team perspective some "what were we thinking" things and I'd guess he identified a few holes and lapses guys might not have caught while on ice.

Patty seems like a good candidate too because he really knows how to suck up changes - even changes he HATES. He speaks like he understands hockey is hockey and you play the hand your dealt as best you can. I think he thinks too much about what HE personally can do -- but it sounded like he may be growing out of that. really - growing beyond that, see how everyone impacts one and other like it or not. It's not a maturity thing just a knowledge gained by experience thing.

I agree. If Elias doesnt want it offer it up to Zajac. Then go to Parise.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did Vancouver at one point make Lou their Captain just for the hell of it?

How would everyone feel about Marty getting the C, not that a goaltender as a captain is the best choice on the ice, off the ice I think hed be great and with two A's out there, Elias and Kovy, itd get the job done.

Marty doesn't need a "c" to be the leader in that locker room. Neither does Elias. Vancouver giving it to Luongo was just a cheesy move by them to try to prove that there was no bad blood and that they weren't planning on moving on from him after another disappointing playoffs that year. In fact, a goalie can't be a captain in the NHL. Luongo didn't have a 'c' on his jersey. He put one on his mask.

If the next C isn't Parise - and this year, that's a bad sign that Lou and Zach were both full of it when they said they intended to work out a long-term deal. Because by all rights it should be Zach, the only reason not to give it to him is if you're afraid he's got one foot out the door.