Captain?

Bibby89

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree Elias deserves it, he outright said he doesn't want it.

IMO, give the vote to the players, like Kovalchuk suggested. It could show us and team more about the dynamics as well as how the players view their teammates.

If Im not mistaken, Patty said that he would take it if no one else wanted it. He just doesnt want to be put in a position like he was several seasons ago.

If Im not mistaken, Patty said that he would take it if no one else wanted it. He just doesnt want to be put in a position like he was several seasons ago.

hmmm... that sounds about right, I just don't have the energy/care enough to search TGs blog.

I think the team vote will show how the team dynamics are playing out [i.e. - Parise]

hmmm... that sounds about right, I just don't have the energy/care enough to search TGs blog.

I think the team vote will show how the team dynamics are playing out [i.e. - Parise]

Id be happy with that choice. Like you said in your previous post, it would help with team dynamics.

If the next C isn't Parise - and this year, that's a bad sign that Lou and Zach were both full of it when they said they intended to work out a long-term deal. Because by all rights it should be Zach, the only reason not to give it to him is if you're afraid he's got one foot out the door.

6 Months ago I would have never considered the possibility of Zach leaving, but with Parise getting a 1 year deal, the rumors of financial problems for ownership (partially confirmed by the negative 25 million sale price), and Kovalchuk's salary practically doubling next year (for 6 years) I am concerned. This might be the next bad omen.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

C: Parise

A: Kovy

A: Elias

Pleeeeease. Because not only do I think these are the guys who deserve it.. but it would also clearly mean more than just naming the Captains, with the Parise scenario. If there could be two C's, the other would be Kovy no doubt at all. The guy showed a ton of leadership at the end of last year, and he's just an animal

We should know in around a week!

i think its pretty obvious that Zach will/should get the C

• The team want him to get it

• Elias doesnt want it

• I think its a no brainer to think that they have to show good faith / trust / commitment to Zach after all they did for Kovy if we want to resign him long-term, so to give the C to Kovy would be a slap in the face to zach IMO

• The fact that he may be leaving after the season, i mean come on... what kind of message would that be sending him "we'd like to give you the C but we're not sure you really want to play here or im not sure we'll be able to give you enough so you will want to stay", that plus we made it through a good part of the season without a captain last season, some teams went all season long without a captain (mtl on top of my head)

• to give him the C would only help to resign him IMO and not use the C as a candy if he re-signs.

Like I had said before I really dont think/agree with giving Zach the C just as a pawn to keep him around. That defeats the whole purpose and shows the rest of the team "hes just getting it to be kept around. What am I? Dog meat?"

I would really rather give it to Kovy before Zach...and that says alot.

1. Elias

2. Vote amongst the Players

3. 4 A's

4. Kovy

5. Parise

Like I had said before I really dont think/agree with giving Zach the C just as a pawn to keep him around. That defeats the whole purpose and shows the rest of the team "hes just getting it to be kept around. What am I? Dog meat?"

I would really rather give it to Kovy before Zach...and that says alot.

1. Elias

2. Vote amongst the Players

3. 4 A's

4. Kovy

5. Parise

Well no. its not "just to keep him around" the team said they wanted him and they voted him MVP twice... so he'd be getting it cause he totally deserve it and thats what most of if not all the team want

Well no. its not "just to keep him around" the team said they wanted him and they voted him MVP twice... so he'd be getting it cause he totally deserve it and thats what most of if not all the team want

If its taken one year at a time then thats one thing but it shouldnt be used to "keep him around". Im not saying he deserves it or not. He does. We all know he does but it shouldnt be used to just toss into the put and say well we made you captain....now you cant leave.

If it is in fact true that Parise is all sad panda because of the kovalchuk situation, then i don't think anyone in the organization wants him to be captain.

Additionally, deboer has already said the players will not be involved in the decision. If it's a management decision, then the choice will truly show us who the organization feels is the future of the team.

If it's Parise, it shows me they really think they can bring him back. If it's kovalchuk, then it would seem that they've given up on or aren't sure about being able to bring Parise back.

I think it comes down to Parise or kovy, and a very tiny chance they give it to Elias. And super dark horse pick of Salvador haha.

C: Parise

A: Kovy

A: Elias

Pleeeeease. Because not only do I think these are the guys who deserve it.. but it would also clearly mean more than just naming the Captains, with the Parise scenario. If there could be two C's, the other would be Kovy no doubt at all. The guy showed a ton of leadership at the end of last year, and he's just an animal

We should know in around a week!

The Sabres actually did have two captains one year lol. I think Briere had the C for home games and Drury did for road games.

You can name 10 guys Captain and a dozen Assistants if you want as long as you stick to the 1C/2A's or 3A's on the ice per game rule. You can't have 2 guys skating with the C on their chest in one game, and you can't have 4 guys with the A.

I certainly don't have an issue giving Zach the C, I just think it shouldn't have been taken from Patty in the first place. Zach with the C and Patty and Kovy with A's works for me. And as soon as one of the goes or retires we should get a defenseman in there if it's appropriate. If giving Zach the C helps keep him here, even a little, then I suppose he's the best man for the C.

when you think about it, the idea that we shouldn't give Zach the C because he might leave us really has no merit. The worst that would happen is that we just end up having to reassign the Captaincy the next year, its not like we haven't done that a ton in the last couple years.

Just give it to Zach, it makes the most sense in almost every way

the devils have always been an organization playing in the "now".. when a player is an upcoming free agent and they know they most likely won't be back, i.e gomez, they don't try to get something out of it by trading him instead of just letting him walk, they go for their goal to win the cup that season. I don't see why it would change as choosing a captain, they need a captain for this season. What if parise is captain, signs for 10 years, but doesn't like to be captain and loses it next year anyway.. what difference does it make.. the C will go to whoever lou and deboer choose, end of story.