Our Defensive Prospects

Derlique

I first want to start off saying how great it is that we have such a strong influx of young, two way defensive prospects. Lou himself has said that this is the best group we've had in some time (even before Larsson). With that being said, it is obvious that not everyone will make it to the big club. Let's review the potential blueliners:

Larsson

Merrill

Fayne

Taormina

Urbom

Gelinas

Burlon

Sova

Noreau

Corrente

Fraser

Tallinder, Volchenkov and Greene are all signed long term and it's probable that White will get re-upped for a year or two next year, so who does that leave for the remaining two spots? Obviously, Larsson is the favorite to take a spot next year (if not the 2011-2012 season) and Merrill looks to be good too. But where does that leave semi proven players like Taormina and Fayne? Also, Urbom looks to be close to ready, if not totally ready. It's just my feeling that a lot of these talented guys will eventually be squeezed out of the organization. There are a lot of tough decisions to be made in the next few years regarding our blueline and I hope that we properly utilize what looks to be a strength in upcoming years

Merrill apparently told TG in May that he is staying in Michigan for another year so that x's him out.

Its really between Fraser, Corrente, Larsson, Fayne and Taormina. Those are the names that I see battling it out for these two spots.

Fraser filed for arbitration.

Fayne is strong, Taormina is good and Larsson....well we all know where he stands. Corrente I think will have the hardest time proving that he belongs in one of those spots.

I first want to start off saying how great it is that we have such a strong influx of young, two way defensive prospects. Lou himself has said that this is the best group we've had in some time (even before Larsson). With that being said, it is obvious that not everyone will make it to the big club. Let's review the potential blueliners:

Larsson

Merrill

Fayne

Taormina

Urbom

Gelinas

Burlon

Sova

Noreau

Corrente

Fraser

Tallinder, Volchenkov and Greene are all signed long term and it's probable that White will get re-upped for a year or two next year, so who does that leave for the remaining two spots? Obviously, Larsson is the favorite to take a spot next year (if not the 2011-2012 season) and Merrill looks to be good too. But where does that leave semi proven players like Taormina and Fayne? Also, Urbom looks to be close to ready, if not totally ready. It's just my feeling that a lot of these talented guys will eventually be squeezed out of the organization. There are a lot of tough decisions to be made in the next few years regarding our blueline and I hope that we properly utilize what looks to be a strength in upcoming years

Great group. I see some high-end talent in there. One guy you shouldn't sleep on is Eric Gelinas. I think he will be a very solid 3/4 defenseman for 10+ years.

Gelinas is a high risk defense prospect. His size, speed and shot will guaranteed him a look at the NHL but it all depends how his skills come together and how he processes information at the pro level. He may end up being close to Kurtis Foster or high end Sami Salo.

Merrill apparently told TG in May that he is staying in Michigan for another year so that x's him out. Its really between Fraser, Corrente, Larsson, Fayne and Taormina. Those are the names that I see battling it out for these two spots. Fraser filed for arbitration. Fayne is strong, Taormina is good and Larsson....well we all know where he stands. Corrente I think will have the hardest time proving that he belongs in one of those spots.

You forgot Urbom !!!

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

i think Fayne pretty much proved himself, and basically (IMO) has a spot for next near. Urbom looks really great, but I think Tao and Larsson are then big ones fighting for a spot.

My two cents on the overstock we have on the blueline:

Tallinder/Volchenkov/Greene/White : Pretty much guaranteed to be on the squad at the start of the season

Larsson - I don't see him starting the season with us. I expect at least 20 games before he joins the team

Fraser - filed for arbitration, so very probably starts the year on the team... My question is how much these recent signings will effect Fraser's arbitration...

Taormina - Love the kid.... great upside here, could be traded, but I hope not

Urbom - Like him as well, I see him bouncing up and down throughout the year based on injuries and match-ups

Corrente - Probably going to start out in the Albany, but I see him as either being moved or promoted around the trade deadline

Fayne - Great finish to the year last year... That either means he is on the team to start the year, or is traded in the next few weeks. I hope he stays, cause while I think it may be a time to "sell high" for him, we would have to get rid of one of our "bad salary" players in the trade as well to get something worth losing him....

The rest of the prospects are just that... But I will say I see us being buyers at the trade deadline this year instead of sellers like we were last year... and a few of these blueliners may be moved with a expiring contract to bring in a top notch guy...