SB Nation Best/Worst NHL Broadcasters

CarpathianForest

IMO, Sam Rosen sucks ass. Put Stan Fischler in that group of asssuckers also.

I dont just hate these two because they are blatant ranger fans, I think its the fact that Sam talks like he has down syndrome, kinda looks slow too, and Stan....well he rarely has anything positive to say about the Devils.

Edited by Quinn01

Two stars? Seems pretty low, considering Doc is pretty widely regarded as one of, if not the best play-by-play man in hockey. I know Chico's idiotic rambling drops the tandem down a bit but he doesn't even give Doc credit for how knowledgeable/prepared he is, he just mentions that he has a large vocabulary and that's it. Seems like a pretty poorly-supported ranking to me.

At least the Pens announcers are in their rightful rank. Everyone knows how I feel about Jeanneret's annoying-ness. However, Weber and Crisp are rightfully up there with the best.

I find the quirks of Doc and Chico to be quite endearing. I enjoy when Chico starts rambling about some such nonsense.

I love how a lot of professional writers and broadcasters commend Joe M. on the Rags broadcasts, yet a lot of fans think he is terrible, esepcially Rags fans. I think he does a decent job IMO and is better than JD.

I think Howie Rose is the most underrated PBP announcer.

Doc & chico should have gotten at least 4 stars.

What the hell is SBNation anyways? Aren't they mostly known for baseball anyways?

I love how a lot of professional writers and broadcasters commend Joe M. on the Rags broadcasts, yet a lot of fans think he is terrible, esepcially Rags fans. I think he does a decent job IMO and is better than JD.

Joe knows his stuff and actually has a decent voice for it. I dont mind listening to him. He could always sound like Diane Rehm.

Joe knows his stuff and actually has a decent voice for it. I dont mind listening to him. He could always sound like Diane Rehm.

I think a lot of Rags fans hate him for 2 reasons: he used to do color for the Isles and he is not JD.

Towards the end, JD was making a ton of mistakes and corrected himself for what seemed to be every other call and play he analyzed. However, Rags fans gave him a pass cause he was JD. When Joe makes a mistake (it happens to every color guy in every game multiple times) Rags fans jump on him. Joe even at his worse makes a lot less mistakes than JD in his last 5 or so seasons as color.

I think a lot of Rags fans hate him for 2 reasons: he used to do color for the Isles and he is not JD.

Towards the end, JD was making a ton of mistakes and corrected himself for what seemed to be every other call and play he analyzed. However, Rags fans gave him a pass cause he was JD. When Joe makes a mistake (it happens to every color guy in every game multiple times) Rags fans jump on him. Joe even at his worse makes a lot less mistakes than JD in his last 5 or so seasons as color.

What I don't like about Joe is that he became such a hard core Rag shill. When you listen to him, it sounds like the Rangers have struck gold on every young player who comes up to the team. Between him and Rosen, it's like the Rangers can do no wrong. It eventually gets old, especially when a puck nudges Lundqvist in the pad while he isn't looking and they treat it like Richter on the Bure penalty shot in 1994.

JD's problem was twofold.

First, he was blatently wearing two hats. One, he'd wear for national telecasts and the other for the Rangers. Now, this isn't unheard of, but if you listened to the two "personalities" you'd swear it was a different person and it always bothered me to no end.

Second, he's always been a Rangers "hanger on" even after his playing days ended up until he left for STL. He started out pretty good in his early days as a NYR color man. Wasn't painful to listen to and wasn't overly homer based. When JD jumped the shark was when Messier was traded to NY. He became one of Messier's "guys" and it showed on and off the air. It got worse in the Cup run of 1994 when the urban legend that JD acted as a "scout" in the booth during the NYR/NJD 1994 Playoffs and would share his notes with Keenan.

When Gretzky joined the Rangers, that's when JD really completed his decent. I swear he became the offical spokesperson of Gretzky and Messier.

Also, it was no secret that JD was dying for the GM/President job of the Rangers for many years and often used his position of color man as a subtle campaign.

What I don't like about Joe is that he became such a hard core Rag shill. When you listen to him, it sounds like the Rangers have struck gold on every young player who comes up to the team. Between him and Rosen, it's like the Rangers can do no wrong. It eventually gets old, especially when a puck nudges Lundqvist in the pad while he isn't looking and they treat it like Richter on the Bure penalty shot in 1994.

Doesn't every color man do that?

He is still not nearly as homer-iffic as JD ever was.

JD's problem was twofold.

First, he was blatently wearing two hats. One, he'd wear for national telecasts and the other for the Rangers. Now, this isn't unheard of, but if you listened to the two "personalities" you'd swear it was a different person and it always bothered me to no end.

Second, he's always been a Rangers "hanger on" even after his playing days ended up until he left for STL. He started out pretty good in his early days as a NYR color man. Wasn't painful to listen to and wasn't overly homer based. When JD jumped the shark was when Messier was traded to NY. He became one of Messier's "guys" and it showed on and off the air. It got worse in the Cup run of 1994 when the urban legend that JD acted as a "scout" in the booth during the NYR/NJD 1994 Playoffs and would share his notes with Keenan.

When Gretzky joined the Rangers, that's when JD really completed his decent. I swear he became the offical spokesperson of Gretzky and Messier.

Also, it was no secret that JD was dying for the GM/President job of the Rangers for many years and often used his position of color man as a subtle campaign.

Def agree.

He also seemed to go blind in his later years as he saw plays that never happened and was constantly correcting himself. Also as the years went by his analysis became less and less in-depth until all you kept hearing was "oh baby!" 50 times a game.

Stan is one of the most annoying "personalities" in the hockey world. Some of the sh!t he says is mindbogglingly stupid and he is a total Captain Obvious.

I love his rants. Especially the time when he went to Morganville by taking a ferry for a nickel, which had pictures of bumblebees on them. Gimme five bees for a quarter you would say.

While Stan can be unbearbale to listen to he does write good hockey books, IMO. He's a much better author then TV personality. For those new Devils fans who were not around for Nashville 95 and want to read about the 94-95 lockout and some older insight, i recommend "Cracked Ice".

I have Stan's "Great Book of Hockey" book. I guess it is more of a coffee-table book and it basically is a history of the NHL up to about 1992. Each year is given about 4-8 pages and it is a very interesting read. I guess he remembers most of what happened.

Some of the worst announcers I have seen over the years are Flyers, Penguins, and Panthers. I'd have to say we have the best commentators to be honest with ya. Doc is the best and most widely used commentator in the NHL, and Chico is funny.

Stan is one of the most annoying "personalities" in the hockey world. Some of the sh!t he says is mindbogglingly stupid and he is a total Captain Obvious.

I can't remember which game it was at the end of the season, might have been one of the Devils last games. They were interviewing Stan regarding the upcoming playoffs and which teams he thought would do well. I remember him dismissing the Canucks by saying "we all know Luongo chokes in the playoffs." After I LOL'd, I thought that's the first and only time I've agreed with Stan. What a prophecy!

Chico annoys me... speaking of "Zach" and "Travis" as grandchildren - spot on.

Overall, it seem likes a really weak analysis...

I remember I use to like JD's color commentary for the Rags... I want my color guy to have a home-team bias... but not to the level of absurdity.

Stan is awesome. I love him because he's not a homer, he'll say exactly what needs to be said. Won't protect the players w nice words if they don't deserve it, unlike dano and cangi. Plus he's got great personality for the broadcast.

Joe M is absolutely horrendous. Biased and way too talkative.

Agree with the flames announcer. Can't stand his accent.