No Head Coach This week

brodeur14301991

I'm thinking more in terms of not being allowed to do his job, possibly he's been told he can't give out any long-term deals or trade players just yet because of the ownership flux. All we've done is status quo this offseason, decisions about the future of the franchise (Parise, Larsson, the coach) haven't been made yet.

I guess Andy Greene's contract doesn't fit into this narrative, so it's not mentioned.

I said I was probably being paranoid but something doesn't pass the smell test this offseason. After Lou admitted we needed a PMD and said we'd have to subtract to add and 'it will be done' (which is un-Lou like in itself) all we've heard are crickets.

When did he ever say that? That is you reading into his quotes. He said he didn't plan on making additions, but if he did, there'd definitely be subtractions. He said in April that he would like to add to puck movement at the back end. Lou always says he'd like to do stuff, but only if the price is right. He will never say, 'we will do this, definitely'.

The coach thing keeps getting delayed forever, the Parise thing's taken forever when we've had months to negotiate with him and now we're hearing quotes like 'I'll take a one-year deal' from him, even Larsson's going down to the last few minutes after every indication was they wanted to sign him and give him a shot either to make the big team or play in Albany.

Huberdeau and Landeskog have yet to sign, so I suppose Florida and Colorado's GMs are on the way out.

We have not had 'months' to negotiate with Parise. The salary cap has been known for a month.

We know why everyone and their grandmother's denying being interviewed by the Devils, the point is why is it taking this insanely long to actually choose someone? In an offseason where we had more time than ever to go coach-searching. If it was just the coach thing it'd be annoying but you'd have to assume there was a reason. The fact that Lou's becoming last-minute Lou on everything is a bit telling though.

I don't know why Lou is taking so long with the coaching, and I am willing to grant that Lou's future likely has some part in why it's taking so long, but there's no need to pull out the Jump to Conclusions mat.

Edited by Triumph

Tim Army just left Providence College (sound familiar) he has nhl (head coach/&asst coach experience)ahl coaching experience. He also played for lou @ Providence. They are tight. hmm .......think he might be the next Devs coach?

I'm thinking more in terms of not being allowed to do his job, possibly he's been told he can't give out any long-term deals or trade players just yet because of the ownership flux. All we've done is status quo this offseason, decisions about the future of the franchise (Parise, Larsson, the coach) haven't been made yet.

I said I was probably being paranoid but something doesn't pass the smell test this offseason. After Lou admitted we needed a PMD and said we'd have to subtract to add and 'it will be done' (which is un-Lou like in itself) all we've heard are crickets. The coach thing keeps getting delayed forever, the Parise thing's taken forever when we've had months to negotiate with him and now we're hearing quotes like 'I'll take a one-year deal' from him, even Larsson's going down to the last few minutes after every indication was they wanted to sign him and give him a shot either to make the big team or play in Albany.

I see what you mean. You've got a point there, he's been playing it extremely close to the vest, even more so than he usually does. You're right, something doesn't pass the smell test. It wouldn't surprise me if he was hiding something.

I guess Andy Greene's contract doesn't fit into this narrative, so it's not mentioned.

Retaining Greene and Hedberg at the last possible minute while doing nothing else = status quo

We have not had 'months' to negotiate with Parise. The salary cap has been known for a month.

lol, the cap figure wasn't going to fluctuate by that much. Everyone knew for weeks before that it was going up, the question was how much - maybe there was a difference of a couple million between estimates. Plus, next year's cap figure only has to do with next year's cap hit, the other years of a presumed long-term deal have nothing to do with what the cap is next year. I really don't think the cap figure was ever the reason why it got delayed cause it's still getting delayed till the last minute.

When did he ever say that? That is you reading into his quotes. He said he didn't plan on making additions, but if he did, there'd definitely be subtractions. He said in April that he would like to add to puck movement at the back end. Lou always says he'd like to do stuff, but only if the price is right. He will never say, 'we will do this, definitely'.

The quote was more definitive than that. I'd have to go back and randomly scour threads from a day or two after UFA started, but I think it was in TG's blog as well.

EDIT: Found it - “We have space, but we’re not going to be adding anything unless we can subtract something or trade something right now,” Lamoriello said. “That’s our intention, but not necessarily today or tomorrow. There’s a lot going on out there right now.”

Edited by NJDevs4978

Retaining Greene and Hedberg at the last possible minute while doing nothing else = status quo

So if Lou had not signed Greene and had instead signed Andrew Verte, his mustachioed French counterpart, to the same contract, that would still be status quo?

lol, the cap figure wasn't going to fluctuate by that much. Everyone knew for weeks before that it was going up, the question was how much - maybe there was a difference of a couple million between estimates. Plus, next year's cap figure only has to do with next year's cap hit, the other years of a presumed long-term deal have nothing to do with what the cap is next year. I really don't think the cap figure was ever the reason why it got delayed cause it's still getting delayed till the last minute.

The cap figure is everything. No one in the media had it going up to 64M until that was the announcement. How can you possibly say that the cap figure wasn't going to fluctuate by that much? Take off your hindsight glasses. The Devils were within a few thousand dollars of last year's cap when camp broke, so I think the cap figure matters a great deal.

The quote was more definitive than that. I'd have to go back and randomly scour threads from a day or two after UFA started, but I think it was in TG's blog as well.

EDIT: Found it - “We have space, but we’re not going to be adding anything unless we can subtract something or trade something right now,” Lamoriello said. “That’s our intention, but not necessarily today or tomorrow. There’s a lot going on out there right now.”

You bolded the wrong part, the bolded part should be not necessarily today or tomorrow.

Edited by Triumph

The cap figure is everything. No one in the media had it going up to 64M until that was the announcement. How can you possibly say that the cap figure wasn't going to fluctuate by that much? Take off your hindsight glasses. The Devils were within a few thousand dollars of last year's cap when camp broke, so I think the cap figure matters a great deal.

Without Arnott and Langs they were like $8 million below what they were last year and the cap was AT LEAST going up a couple million from all the speclation right after the season, so that's about a $10 million difference minus Greene's raise. And Parise was already making $3 plus so you're only talking about adding another $4 onto it. They had/have room to sign him and know around what they need to sign him at, that's not the issue.

If this gets down to August 1 and Parise's still not signed or signs at the last minute before the hearing then you know the cap had nothing to do with the delay.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Without Arnott and Langs they were like $8 million below what they were last year and the cap was AT LEAST going up a couple million from all the speclation right after the season, so that's about a $10 million difference minus Greene's raise. And Parise was already making $3 plus so you're only talking about adding another $4 onto it. They had/have room to sign him and know around what they need to sign him at, that's not the issue.

I disagree and I think it makes a huge difference. Just look at all the people, myself included, who said Greene would not be here under a 62.5M cap. Now he is here under a 64M cap.

If this gets down to August 1 and Parise's still not signed or signs at the last minute before the hearing then you know the cap had nothing to do with the delay.

Right, that's certainly true, but people think that negotiating in-season is this panacea or that Lou doesn't do it because he hates winning or whatever - there's a lot of drawbacks. Just ask George McPhee about it.

It's not August 1 though.

I'm always shocked when someone has been a fan of this team for any length of time expects anything different for Lou. He works at his own pace. He is deliberate with his decisions. Most rumors you hear about this team turn out to be false. It's been that way for 20 years. I really don't see what he has done this off season he hasn't done any other off season. retained a few fa's, picked up talent for the AHL(the kinkaid signing pre free agency was a nice present and seems to be overlooked). To me Lou is ahead of where he normally is this time of year. Maybe the lack of playoff hockey just makes it seem longer.

Priorities. Larsson, coach then Zach. Not that Zach isn't the most important of the 3, it's that he deadlines seem to fall in that order.

Tim Army just left Providence College (sound familiar) he has nhl (head coach/&asst coach experience)ahl coaching experience. He also played for lou @ Providence. They are tight. hmm .......think he might be the next Devs coach?

That's an intersting link. I checked and he was just hired...by the Avs.

He could quit that job and come here but that seems unlikely

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2011-06-16-570840503_x.htm

The Colorado Avalanche have hired Tim Army to serve as an assistant coach in charge of video. Army, 48, has spent the last six seasons as the head coach of his alma mater, Providence College (Hockey East).

The other thing that I was thinking - it has always appeared Devils don't have leaks with regards to new coaches because his choices are usually so obvious - Robinson, Lemaire, MacLean. But then no one guessed Constantine, Burns, Julien or Sutter.

that post was a whole lot of nothin'... :giggle:

Well...

OK dammitall - so I've given it a LITTLE thought.. .might as well post it. <_<

Eaves is under contract until 2016. so... buying out the contract is a thing that would have to be negotiated - and affordable. Eaves it appears could leave the team in capable hands. Does he feel any other hands are as capable as his? - I'm sure not, so there is more hemming and hawing to consider.

He knows what he's getting into living in Jersey...

His son plays for the Wangs... he doesn't seem the sentimental type who'd choke in the last two minutes of a deciding playoff game against his son's team. But we know that must be a consideration.... <_<

It's a tough call... the guy has set up a team to win -- so now the big ten (phah!) is jerking everyone around so... will Eaves feel like he's selling his freshly refurbished sports car or like he's flipping a house for a huge profit? A little of both? Do you want a guy that has no problem doing either of those things? I dont trust the guy who thinks he's giving up a prized possession a la the Rebels and Sutter.

I have no idea -- no clue if there is any truth tot he rumor. I can't tell what's real, wishful thinking, I've gotten secretly excited about the idea - but I hate -- I loath and despise being wrong. and I dont feel right thinking Eaves is a realistic candidate. But he makes nice sense at the same time.

It's also a very obvious choice. He's one of those guys, you know? A "Who's going to steal this guy?" kind of thing. SEE and THAT'S why I feel it woudn't have to take this long just to WAIT for the guy... UNLESS the buy out is an issue....

and so on I go.... wasting time on nothing. brainpower on NOTHING. I may as well go back to trying to imagine Stevens in the shower....

Edited by Pepperkorn

Latest staff rumor (saw this posted on HF, have no idea how reliable Dean Millard or Coming Down the Pipe is):

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/2011/07/warriors-hire-stothers-dave-barr-set-to.html

So where does that leave Dave Barr? According to one source of mine, he'll be hired on to be an Assistant Coach with the New Jersey Devils. While Lou Lamoriello told Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger that the team won't name a head coach this week, that doesn't mean they haven't hired one yet. My source says the Devils have all but settled on someone and whoever that choice is, will hire Barr as his assistant, and that's why he couldn't commit to the Warriors in Moose Jaw.

Unfortunately this might point to Therrien coming if true, since Barr was last an assistant in Minnesota (under Richards) and Therrien's there as a scout now. Of course it could also just mean Lou's filling his quota of bringing back a former Devil every offseason :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

Is Barr any good?!!! Assistant coach? Who's the odd man out Oates or Robinson? I'll be pissed if it's Robinson.

Is Barr any good?!!! Assistant coach? Who's the odd man out Oates or Robinson? I'll be pissed if it's Robinson.

Larry's wanted to retire like five times but keeps getting dragged back in, wouldn't be surprised if he went back to his 'special assignment' job again.