Will the next franchise goalie come from the system?

Unknown Soul

Yeah, no kidding...Rick DiPietro in the flesh. Also, and maybe someone else out there can back me up on this, it really seemed to me that he was trying to change his style to be more of a hybrid goaltender at the end of the season, due in no small part to his knee problems. Haven't been able to find any articles mentioning this though.

I digress, sorry.

Are you referring to Marty or DP? Marty was definitely changing his style the second half of this year. He's always used a mix of stand up and hybrid and old school just-stop-the-puck but it seemed like he was using more paddle-down (or the half butterfly as Chico calls it) and butterfly towards to end of the year, probably to stop himself from having to drop on the bad knee as often.

And I gotta say, it says a lot for a 38 year old to be experimenting with new styles. The guy really still tries to better himself. It's impressive.

I don't think they have to step up "right now". Just the year after, but I have a gut feeling wedge will be our next starter

If he is we're in trouble. He's got atleast another year in juniors (2011-12), then he goes to Albany the year after (2012-13). This will get interesting, because I assume if Marty comes back for one more year in 2012-13, Frazee or Kinkaid backs him up if either proves they can. That leaves Clermont and Wedgewood to battle it out in Albany.

Wedge has got to be 3 years out when you factor in another year of junior and atleast 2 in the AHL, and I can't see Marty starting 3 more seasons. There's going to have to be a stopgap in there at some point.

If he is we're in trouble. He's got atleast another year in juniors (2011-12), then he goes to Albany the year after (2012-13). This will get interesting, because I assume if Marty comes back for one more year in 2012-13, Frazee or Kinkaid backs him up if either proves they can. That leaves Clermont and Wedgewood to battle it out in Albany.

Wedge has got to be 3 years out when you factor in another year of junior and atleast 2 in the AHL, and I can't see Marty starting 3 more seasons. There's going to have to be a stopgap in there at some point.

Yeah sorry, I didn't mean 'starter' but 'franchise' goalie...

Yeah sorry, I didn't mean 'starter' but 'franchise' goalie...

You may be dead on with that one, then. I like what I've read about him a lot. People see some Carey Price in him, technique wise. I'm excited to get to actually see him in action. I really can't wait for him and Clermont to be going head-to-head. They both seem to excel in the playoffs the last couple of years.

I was around for the pre-Marty days too. The biggest disappointment had to be Sean Burke...he had that hot run in '88, then never came close to playing to that level again, though he was given every chance to do that (often at Chris Terreri's expense, and to Terreri's credit, he never complained about that once). Going into the '88-'89 season a lot of experts were proclaiming Burke to be the goalie of the future: big, strong, etc.

It'll be so sad when Marty hangs 'em up...it's even sadder how many Devil fans don't appreciate what they had, but I see Yankee fans do the same thing with Derek Jeter.

If there's a franchise goalie in the system, I'll be the first to admit I have no idea who he is.

Are you referring to Marty or DP?

DiPietro. In the Devils' last game against the Islanders in particular, DiPietro made some initial saves where it was clear he had no clue where the rebound went. He also whiffed on some saves because of awkward positioning and technique; I want to say one went through him when he was trying to be in a half-butterfly position.

DiPietro. In the Devils' last game against the Islanders in particular, DiPietro made some initial saves where it was clear he had no clue where the rebound went. He also whiffed on some saves because of awkward positioning and technique; I want to say one went through him when he was trying to be in a half-butterfly position.

Interesting. I'm sure it has plenty to do with his injuries then. It's a shame, because he is very talented and has done some great things with horrible Islander teams in front of him, but he's the definition of injury prone. And worse, he's kind of oblivious. Someone asked him about the goalie controversy on the Island (Montoya playing so well, Poulin playing well in a short stint, and Koskinen waiting in the wings) and he responded 'what controversy?'