Devils Name Peter DeBoer New Head Coach

nmigliore

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just don't start new topics till you've been around for a while and learned how things work here!! :lol::giggle:

...they no longer can ;) think a 50 post count requirement was implemented

Well a month ago we had 567 on. What was happening a month ago that was this/that serious?

um...Oh probably the draft thread

To me, a coach has alot to do with how his team plays. In this situation, DeBoer never himself played in the NHL, only played 300 something games in his entire career in the OHL and IHL.

Stats show he was a strong coach everywhere he was other then the NHL. Yes Flordia wasnt the best team the past 3 seasons or something that he was down there, but still it just seems he is pretty inexperienced. I never trusted someone who never really played hockey.

It means alot I would think to the players taking advice and demands from someone that once played the sport, that was once in their spot.

If it is him that is named, I hope to god he proves me wrong and makes me eat a sh!t sandwich.

i could agree but there's exceptions, just look at Guy Boucher, Babcock, Burns... etc etc etc

pat burns didn't play hockey. scotty bowman never played in the NHL. neither did roger nielson. and i can keep going.

This.

In fact, sometimes the best players are the worst coaches... Gretzky, Lafleur, etc. It's hard for a guy who is naturally talented to say "well, just skate up the right side, deke a defensman down, and no-look pass it to Kurri."

To me, a coach has alot to do with how his team plays. In this situation, DeBoer never himself played in the NHL, only played 300 something games in his entire career in the OHL and IHL.

Stats show he was a strong coach everywhere he was other then the NHL. Yes Flordia wasnt the best team the past 3 seasons or something that he was down there, but still it just seems he is pretty inexperienced. I never trusted someone who never really played hockey.

It means alot I would think to the players taking advice and demands from someone that once played the sport, that was once in their spot.

If it is him that is named, I hope to god he proves me wrong and makes me eat a sh!t sandwich.

Pat Burns never played

:evil:

Nevermind

Edited by Pepperkorn

Going to be official at 3:30pm that Peter DeBoer will be the next Devils head coach. Not a bad coach and he is good teaching and coaching with young players. So it will be good for the young players on this tean and the future players that will be on this team from Albany. I am kind of suprised it is going to be DeBoer. DeBoer turned down two assistant jobs in Detroit and Calgary over the last several weeks.

It sounds good to say, but in practice... the best players don't make the best coaches. It's more the exception that a player becomes a great coach; than a guy who worked through college/juniors to the AHL to the NHL, etc.

You need a guy who studies tape day and night, who knows how to read the team's momentum, and what needs correction before anyone else does. You don't need a guy who can skate like the wind, deke past 3 guys and make the goalie look amatuer. You need a guy who inspires others to do this.

For examples...Pat Burns, Mike Keenan, Mike Babcock, Ken Hitchcock, Scotty Bowman and John Tortorella never played in the NHL, so there goes that sort of theory out the window.

I would venture to say that sometimes players do not make the best coaches. For every Jacques Lemaire there's a Wayne Gretzky.

Edited by SJP20

Back to my original question, does anyone have any insight into what type of coach this guy is?

What he favors on PPs, PKs etc? Anything?

I think he's kind of like a Bruce Beaudreau/Dan Bylsma type that seems to be pretty popular these days. I didn't get to see many Panthers games when he was head coach but they did put up more of a fight under him. Right now I think it's hard to say as I'm sure most coaches develop a style to suit their players' strengths.