Devils Name Peter DeBoer New Head Coach

nmigliore

Stu Hackel's take over at SI:

Last week, we examined the state of the Devils and rounded up the usual suspects for the team’s next coach, listing the candidates whose names we’d seen circulated over the last three months as potential hires by GM Lou Lamoriello: Larry Robinson, Scott Stevens, Adam Oates, Mike Keenan, Ken Hitchcock, Guy Carbonneau, Michel Therrien, Craig MacTavish, Craig Ramsay, Mike Haviland, Kirk Muller, Marc Crawford, Bob Hartley, Mike Eaves and the ever-popular Jacques Lemaire. “Most of them have denied that they’re in the running or they discouraged speculation in some way,” we wrote, “leaving the impression that none will be Lou’s guy.” And we added, “One supposes that Lou is taking his time to get this one right….His choices almost always surprise.”

So we shouldn’t be surprised today, but we are, that a) none of the above were Lamoriello’s choice and b) he perhaps did get it right. Peter DeBoer wasn’t on the list and now — duh! — he seems in retrospect to be the most logical guy for the job. In fact, of all the new coaching hires in the NHL this offseason, it’s quite possible that the Devils made the best choice of all.

Also, some very encouraging words from Pierre McQuire:

DeBoer’s teams “play with tempo and energy,’ McGuire continued. “They’re physical but they don’t play passive resistance hockey. He was part of two Team Canada World Junior Championship coaching staffs that played high-energy, high-octane hockey. He’s more open in terms of style and play than even Brent Sutter,” whose teams played more of a puck pursuit game than the Devils are usually known to do.

“He runs excellent, creative practices,” McGuire said, and that’s always a plus in keeping players’ attention during the long season. And he comes up with very creative offensive game plans.

“New Jersey had to find a coach who had an ability to be respected when he walked in the room and treat star players properly. The Devils have the reputation of their star offensive players getting stagnant because of their style. But they’ve found that guy who can treat them well. I think he’s the best fit for the Devils.”

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so many of you guys wanted DeBoer it's annoying how they keep acting like Lou pulled a rabbit out of the hat. Mostly I liked the Kitchener connection - the Rangers NOT the Stevens family :rolleyes: but I still wanted Eaves a little more -- BUT had Eaves wanted to ditch WI that would have counted against him -- like do you want to marry the divorced guy? Not a big a strike against but a strike indeed.

ANYHOW -- you guys wanted him - we all know it!

I was watching News 12 New Jersey last night. They briefly spoke with DeBoer after the press conference. They asked him what he knows about New Jersey. He admitted, not too much. Then he said that Scott Stevens is from the same area of Canada as him and that Stevens chose to remain in New Jersey after his playing days were over so that must mean that New Jersey is a pretty nice place to live (or something like that).

so many of you guys wanted DeBoer it's annoying how they keep acting like Lou pulled a rabbit out of the hat. Mostly I liked the Kitchener connection - the Rangers NOT the Stevens family :rolleyes: but I still wanted Eaves a little more -- BUT had Eaves wanted to ditch WI that would have counted against him -- like do you want to marry the divorced guy? Not a big a strike against but a strike indeed.

ANYHOW -- you guys wanted him - we all know it!

I think people were just shocked it wasn't Therrien or Hitchcock. Or Lemaire chained to the bench.

I'm liking the fact that his style of coaching is being compared to that of Brent Sutter...remember the 08-09 season? That was an exciting team to watch, especially when Brodeur went down and Clemmer had to take over. We were scoring 4-5 goals a game and only allowing 2-3, The team was playin an aggressive forecheck followed by a nice cycle down in the corners. I really had high hopes for the postseason until we were matched up against the Hurricanes. :puke::horse:

I'm liking the fact that his style of coaching is being compared to that of Brent Sutter...remember the 08-09 season? That was an exciting team to watch, especially when Brodeur went down and Clemmer had to take over. We were scoring 4-5 goals a game and only allowing 2-3, The team was playin an aggressive forecheck followed by a nice cycle down in the corners. I really had high hopes for the postseason until we were matched up against the Hurricanes. :puke::horse:

I feel the same way. Knew nothing about the guy until the hiring was all but official.

Once the team bought in -- and it took a full season for them to -- they were an exciting bunch to watch. Can't wait to see this team once they buy in to what DeBoer's selling. Hopefully it won't take as long as it did with Droopy ... er ... Sutter.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some of DeBoer's ratios for Florida last year....not too bad considering the talent he had.

5 on 5 +-/60 : -0.4 24th

5 on 4 +-/60 : +2.9 30th

4 on 5 +-/60 : -3.9 6th

4 on 4 +-/60 : +1.0 10th

5 on 3 +-/60 : +35.7 6th

4 on 3 +-/60 : +7.3 22nd

3 on 5 +-/60 : -32.5 28th

3 on 4 +-/60 : -11.3 15th

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac