Zach Parise's maximum cap hit is....

Triumph

... $7,532,000.

Everyone who's relevant is now signed. So, how did I come up with that number? I built a 23-man capgeek roster with both Palmieri and Larsson on the team, with enough room left over for a minimum salary call-up (aka Jeff Frazee). As an emergency, the team could always demote someone who isn't waiver-eligible to call up a position of need, but that's somewhat unlikely with a 23 man roster - there'd have to be multiple injuries, none of which were LTIR-eligible. And even so, I think Larsson is unlikely to start the year on the team anyway.

I don't think the Devils need to make any trades to have sufficient room for a Parise contract, nor do I think it is Lou's inclination to make such a trade. Now the question is, how long are they willing to sign him for?

Edited by Triumph

... $7,532,000.

Everyone who's relevant is now signed. So, how did I come up with that number? I built a 23-man capgeek roster with both Palmieri and Larsson on the team, with enough room left over for a minimum salary call-up (aka Jeff Frazee). As an emergency, the team could always demote someone who isn't waiver-eligible to call up a position of need, but that's somewhat unlikely with a 23 man roster - there'd have to be multiple injuries, none of which were LTIR-eligible. And even so, I think Larsson is unlikely to start the year on the team anyway.

I don't think the Devils need to make any trades to have sufficient room for a Parise contract, nor do I think it is Lou's inclination to make such a trade. Now the question is, how long are they willing to sign him for?

Guessing that NJ gets it done before Aug 3, but it's similar in nature to the Stamkos contract, for a handful of years, but not for an entire career. I say 7.5m for 6 years.

I think Zach might sign a 3 year deal or a 10 year deal at 7.5M or so. I can't imagine he signs a 6 year deal at that price, because that will leave him well outside his prime looking for another deal. With 3 years, he can still theoretically hit the jackpot in UFA in 2014 - I'm not buying Brooks's claims of saber-rattling, and while there will be changes to the way things are done (presumably, the excessive front-loading will be gone), I think the cap will still be about where it is now.

I don't have any doubts that there is a 10 year/80M or 12 year/90M deal waiting for him next summer, if he plays Zach Parise hockey this season, so the question is, what can he get now to possibly pass up on that?

Next summer, NJ could give him that monster deal. The question is: does he really want to be in NJ and does NJ really want to pay him like that?

I like the 3 year plan a lot better than I like the 1 year plan.

He'd be a fool at this age to take a 5 year deal. It leaves him at the end of his prime looking for a new deal. I think it's either relatively short term deal with the hope that he morphs into a true top 5 forward and the salary cap continues to go up or the big, long-term deal we've kind of been expecting.

He'd be a fool at this age to take a 5 year deal. It leaves him at the end of his prime looking for a new deal. I think it's either relatively short term deal with the hope that he morphs into a true top 5 forward and the salary cap continues to go up or the big, long-term deal we've kind of been expecting.

he could take a 5 year deal, it would just have to be for something like 45 million, which i don't think the devils are prepared to do.

he could take a 5 year deal, it would just have to be for something like 45 million, which i don't think the devils are prepared to do.

i don't think anyone is prepared to do this. you think there is anyone making zp a $9MM cap hit? child, please....

i don't think he takes a 3 year deal.

i think there are 3 deals out there:

1/7.25

3/21 w/ heavy signing bonus

10/70 with cap shenanigans adding on an extra year or so.

i don't think anyone is prepared to do this. you think there is anyone making zp a $9MM cap hit? child, please....

people are way too focused on the cap hits of contracts and don't give enough credence to years. if we could fast forward a year, i would rather have parise on a 5/45 than a 10/70 deal. i'm not even sure it's close.

i think there are 3 deals out there:

1/7.25

3/21 w/ heavy signing bonus

10/70 with cap shenanigans adding on an extra year or so.

the arbitrator isn't going to look too kindly at zach's injury shortened season, so offering him a 7M, one-year deal seems silly. he should jump at that deal if it were being offered.

Had far too realistic a dream that I had gotten up this morning, checked Twitter, saw we had a long-term deal on the table that fell through, and that Zach would test the FA market after next season because of it. So I woke up, saw nothing on Zach, and was happy to see no news for the first time in awhile.

Had far too realistic a dream that I had gotten up this morning, checked Twitter, saw we had a long-term deal on the table that fell through, and that Zach would test the FA market after next season because of it. So I woke up, saw nothing on Zach, and was happy to see no news for the first time in awhile.

Your brain is playing some serious head games with you. Probably trying to manage the anxiety this whole situation is causing :giggle:

I'd put a big bet on him settling for a one year contract before arbitration, or actually going to arbitration. He's not going to pass on unrestricted free agency after next year. Why would you settle on a long term contract with a team that has:

- salary cap limitations

- another new coach

- no playoff series wins since 2007

- a soon to be retired star goalie

He'll have half the league lining up to sign him next summer.

Sundstrom: I think a 6 or 7 year deal is pretty likely. This way he is getting good money for his prime years and still is able to get a decent contract at 33 or 34

i think that would be the worst kind of deal for zach. he's taking on the risk that he will still be effective enough at 33 or 34 to get a big contract, and he's not going to get the kind of $$ he would with a 10 year contract.

I'd put a big bet on him settling for a one year contract before arbitration, or actually going to arbitration. He's not going to pass on unrestricted free agency after next year. Why would you settle on a long term contract with a team that has:

- salary cap limitations

- another new coach

You're making me sad all over.

- salary cap limitations

- another new coach

Because the Devils have a bright future and he likes playing here. I could also see him going UFA and then signing with the Devils.