Rolston to NYI, Hunter to NJD

nmigliore

I don't think we got any better, and I think we could have signed Parise for a very long term contract for the ~7.5 million we had. I understand we can now offer Parise anything he wants, but I don't think that makes the Devils any better. Parise is Parise at 7.5 million or at 10 million. Its probable that Parise would have signed for longer than a year regardless.

If its the case that Parise would have only signed a short term contract without this extra cap space, so be it, its a win. Lou must have thought so. This trade still doesn't put us in a better spot to win a stanley cup.

I don't like being the only one of a certain opinion! :)

just kidding I don't mind.

Thats what happens when your on the Rolston train. :lol:

After Langs, it was Arnott. After Arnott it was Rolston. Who is next in line?

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I noted with my Parise thread yesterday, 7.5M for Parise means either a 1, 3, or 10+ year deal. There's really no room in between. Sure, Rolston might have been a 2 win per year player, but once Parise and Taormina come back, most of what Rolston did is now going to other players - his penalty killing would be taken over by Parise, his PP time by Taormina. Plus, he's 39 and who says he will play as well as he did last season?

Why not a 7 year deal at 7.5ish a year? That sounds fair for both sides. It puts Parise at 34 (?) years old at Stamkos' level and eligble to be signed by anyone when his contract expires at a high cap hit with no worry about the 35+ rule.

That's my problem with this trade. I don't think its good for the team that we have to dump rolston so that Parise can get a cap hit of 8-10 million per season. I don't think its good for us to keep assuming the cap will keep going up.

As I noted with my Parise thread yesterday, 7.5M for Parise means either a 1, 3, or 10+ year deal. There's really no room in between. Sure, Rolston might have been a 2 win per year player, but once Parise and Taormina come back, most of what Rolston did is now going to other players - his penalty killing would be taken over by Parise, his PP time by Taormina. Plus, he's 39 and who says he will play as well as he did last season?

Hunter is a cipher - maybe NJ buys him out, maybe they leave him on the roster next year, maybe he goes to Albany. But signing Parise is so vitally important to this franchise going forward that losing 1 win next year is certainly worth it.

Amberite: Lou uses what's available to him in the CBA to get the best deal. With Larsson, he doesn't have much leverage. Parise will have all the leverage in a year.

+1. They simply have to sign Parise and sacrificing Rolston...isn't much of a sacrifice TBH...

TGfireandice Tom Gulitti

When I asked Lamoriello if he was any more optimistic about signing Parise before arbitration hearing, he said. "I really don't know."

I wouldnt be to worried about that statement. Lou does a good job at keeping things behind locked doors until its offical.

Just Lou being Lou.

Why not a 7 year deal at 7.5ish a year? That sounds fair for both sides. It puts Parise at 34 (?) years old at Stamkos' level and eligble to be signed by anyone when his contract expires at a high cap hit with no worry about the 35+ rule.

That's my problem with this trade. I don't think its good for the team that we have to dump rolston so that Parise can get a cap hit of 8-10 million per season. I don't think its good for us to keep assuming the cap will keep going up.

For a person who has repeatedly said we need to get closer to a Stanley Cup, you seem to have completely forgotten Parise's value to the team. If we don't sign him long term we are MUCH further away from the Cup for the next 5 years or more. Parise isn't just some guy who you can replace right away.

For a person who has repeatedly said we need to get closer to a Stanley Cup, you seem to have completely forgotten Parise's value to the team. If we don't sign him long term we are MUCH further away from the Cup for the next 5 years or more. Parise isn't just some guy who you can replace right away.

There are very few players in the league right now that can replace him at all. Letting him go would be a huge mistake.

TGfireandice Tom Gulitti

When I asked Lamoriello if he was any more optimistic about signing Parise before arbitration hearing, he said. "I really don't know."

That's true, I don't think this trade will have much impact on Parise's contract negotiations.

To get rid of Rolston (and keep Zubrus), lower salary buy $3M, and get a good player in return makes Lou a genius...again

+1 ... I will not boo winky he worked hard but seem to lose something coming from the Wild, his shot all though lethal was almost always off net. He can hopefully get it back maybe with a new start, but that certainly was not happening this year for NJ. I do wish him all the best and I'm thankful the Islanders are giving him a shot he wanted to stay in this area from what I remember.

Now Lou go get Parise! For all those that think Lou has lost it, well think again. :koolaid:

StormJosh - it puts the team in a better position to improve. Freeing up 3 million dollars is a step forward. Hunter is as worst Rolston's equal skillwise. No harm done to the roster and an additional 3 million is a good thing and sets the team up to improve if required.

Sometimes you move forward with several small well measured steps - not always in one huge bound. To insist on high impact with every move is to set yourself up for failure.

I didn't say anything about losing or replacing Parise. I said the contrary, that I feel that we should be able to keep Parise and that Rolston's salary really shouldn't impact that. I did say that I don't think offering Parise 10 million per year is a good idea, though if it came to that I would. I don't think 7.5ish per year for 7 or 8 years is unreasonable.

If Parise truly wouldn't have signed for that much, its the only way the Rolston trade is a win in my mind. I don't know one way or another if thats the case, or if Lou just wants cap flexibility over the course of this season.

Edit: When Manta even sorta agrees with you it makes me a little concerned :)

Much ado, about nothing.

We lose some offense and gain $3 million in cap space.

Edited by StormJosh

Well, after all the changes over the past year I'd say this is rebuilding whether Lou admits it or not. Feels like we are in the middle of a three year plan. As of now we are not a serious contender for the Cup this season. Our team is status quo from last year minus a few players. I know Marty is in his last years but I think the choice to be in this position is beyond Lou's current control. Hopefully Larsson becomes a star and fast.

Much ado, about nothing.

We lose some offense and gain $3 million in cap space.

How do we lose offense? Discounting last season where he barely played, Hunter's numbers seem very similar to Rolston's from the past few years. Plus Hunter is actually a little bit physical and feisty, something that Rolston distinctly lacks. Not to mention Rolston is only getting slower from here on in, whereas Hunter is still considered to be in his prime.

Edited by Amberite

Well, after all the changes over the past year I'd say this is rebuilding whether Lou admits it or not. Feels like we are in the middle of a three year plan. As of now we are not a serious contender for the Cup this season. Our team is status quo from last year minus a few players. I know Marty is in his last years but I think the choice to be in this position is beyond Lou's current control. Hopefully Larsson becomes a star and fast.

Well said.

How do we lose offense? Looking at Hunter's seasons where he wasn't injury plagued, his numbers seem very similar to Rolston's from the past few years. Plus Hunter is actually a little bit physical and feisty, something that Rolston distinctly lacks.

chinatown_joe_mantell.jpg

Forget it, Amberite. It's MantaRay.

cap flexibility is a step closer to the Stanley Cup. Do you disagree?

I agree that cap flexibility is useful, but in and of itself it doesn't bring us closer or further. If used appropriately then sure. But if we're using our additional cap flexibility to give Parise 10 million over X years instead of 8 million over X years it doesn't matter.

We only gain flexibility this season to make a deadline deal, which is OK, but the cost of that is Brian Rolston. We actually slightly decrease our flexibility next season. My point is not that this trade is necessarily bad, just pointless as far as progress is concerned. I think we got a decent player in exchange for a decent player. I liked Rolston, and I feel like we pretty much got back a player slightly worse than Rolston for a better salary.

Edit: I think we ARE a cup contender (I don't want to be bundled in with the other crowd)

Edited by StormJosh