White and Hunter bought out.

jagknife

Yah DiG - I think it was kind of as Lou said -- they reached a mutual agreement.... who instigated that agreement - who knows? I think I know everything and I can't even guess -- both seem plausible.

I wish I'd stop writing today. I'm over-tired and just running off at the fingers pretty brainlessly! But I'm BORED too.... too much going on in Devils territory. and not enough known. and no amount of whining postulating grumping :blahblah: is going to change anything.

I guess I'm ready for hockey. but I'm not... the season is too long so the off season can't just wind down -- I'm always amped on hockey <_< It sounds counter intuitive but really make the season shorter pre-season in October - Playoffs played in March and April with finals the first week of May then DONE. June july August relax. September training camp - October pre-season etc.

I dont need more hockey. little less would help improve the quality of hockey we get. and I wouldn't waste time with all the mental masturbation :yucky:

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post and I agree with almost everything you said, but there is one thing that bugs me. There is no player in the NHL that has more of an influence on his team than Martin Brodeur. I wouldn't doubt if he has played a large role in the coaching roller coaster. To say that White, Langs (well we know he and Lemaire had issues), Madden etc. were the problems and no mention of Brodeur is probably wrong. I don't see why White had to be a casualty when our defense is clearly gonna be worse without him. I'm sorry, but I don't see how a 18/19 year old Adam Larsson or Matt Taormina is going to replace his stellar defensive play. I'm a very optimistic person, but something hasn't seemed quite "right" with the Devils' interior for awhile now

Well, as mentioned earlier, Marty and Elias are all that's left. This may very well be Marty's last year (especially if a lockout consumes the 2012-13 season). When he and Elias are gone, the new veteran leaders are gonna be a combination of guys like Zajac, Kovalchuk, Zubrus, Volchenkov, Greene, Tallinder and hopefully Parise. The interior will be totally changed pretty quickly.

Great post and I agree with almost everything you said, but there is one thing that bugs me. There is no player in the NHL that has more of an influence on his team than Martin Brodeur. I wouldn't doubt if he has played a large role in the coaching roller coaster. To say that White, Langs (well we know he and Lemaire had issues), Madden etc. were the problems and no mention of Brodeur is probably wrong. I don't see why White had to be a casualty when our defense is clearly gonna be worse without him. I'm sorry, but I don't see how a 18/19 year old Adam Larsson or Matt Taormina is going to replace his stellar defensive play. I'm a very optimistic person, but something hasn't seemed quite "right" with the Devils' interior for awhile now

Elias as well as Marty. It's the law of diminishing returns.

From where I sat Marty saw the problem last year and realized he had no fvcking idea -- but everything he thought was wrong so he was going to sit down and STFU.

Elias again just to me - was talking through the problem and I saw him learning he was a little mouthy for me but his blabbing makes it more clear where he is and you can guide that. Patty is smart with a temper he gives vent to - but he is NOT obstinate - he learns and works with the feedback hes given. He really is a great team player. Others - they're just stubborn and lose sight of the goal thinking about being right - I think Madden and Langenbrunner are like that. Pando and Rolston willing but just not able :saddevil: White... he's White - what you see is what you get. If you DON'T see something... you ain't getting it.

while i'm still not 100% ok with this white move, the thought that he was necessarily for it and ok with it seems extremely far fetched. since this has happened, he's made no public comment at all and the only word, through his agent, is that he was terribly disappointed to be leaving the organization.

while i'm still not 100% ok with this white move, the thought that he was necessarily for it and ok with it seems extremely far fetched. since this has happened, he's made no public comment at all and the only word, through his agent, is that he was terribly disappointed to be leaving the organization.

i don't think it looks good to make a public comment when you're a free agent, though. i agree that i don't think he was okay with it. when he signs elsewhere, that's when we'll hear something.

Oh it is far fetched. I doubt he is happy to leave the only team he ever played for and uproot a young family. He probably feels disappointed that he is being used as a partial scapegoat. But that doesn't change pretty much everything I said, except where I might have mentioned that he thought he needed a change of scenery. Remember Langs didn't think so either, when it was clear he did. I'm guessing Lou has a damn good pulse on the team now, and if he thinks it is best for Colin to go, I trust him.

Edited by devilsrule33

I think it's mainly the budget driving these moves. The Devil's player expenses for the past 7-8 years averages about 55 million, according to Forbes.com. Before last year, the only other time they broke 55 million was in 2003 with 58 million. By 2006, they dropped down to 46 million. After that, they were back up at around 55 million for the next 4 years. Last year, according to cap geek, I believe they were spending 63 million. Right now, after the moves, they're around 55 million. Next year, with Kovalchuk being paid 5 million more things get a little more interesting. Especially since Brodeur, Salvador, Hedberg, Parise, and 1 million in buyouts come off the Devils payroll. So that's about 16 million. To sign or not sign some of those players. I also don't think the Devils can afford to give Parise a front loaded contract. If he signs a long term contract, it will most likely be flat. I'm a bit worried, but I think there's enough room for Lou to make things work, and keep Vanderbeek in business.

I agree with whoever it was up there that said the Devils are rebuilding. We have been rebuilding for a season or two now. There is one other sports team I can compare the Devils rebuilding to and that is the New England Patriots. They have been rebuilding for a few seasons now letting guys like richard seymore, randy moss, tedy bruschi, junior seau, etc move on to different things. These were all great players but it was time to move on. The Patriots all the while have been getting younger by inserting their draft picks and young kids into the line up and giving them their shot. While this has been going on, the Patriots have been able to maintain being an elite team and won their division a few times. This is what I compare the Devils rebuilding to and I still expect the Devils to make the playoffs and if a few bounces go our way in the playoffs who knows what can happen.