Thank You Colin White.

Neb00rs

Wow, 10 years battling for us and no one seems to care much about Colin White leaving. I come home and go through the "White and Hunter on Waivers" thread and it just feels wrong that there is not more appreciation for this guy who has played over 700 games as a Devil and was part of Devils Stanley Cup history. No matter how you feel about the guy's play in the last couple years, he deserves our utmost respect. Here's to Colin, here's to 10 years of memories, here's to a true Devil.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you play the role that Colin White did as the rugged defensive defenseman, you get taken for granted. You really are usually only noticed when you do something bad. Colin White was a whipping boy for many here for a lot of years. And while we can all remember a few bad moments that stand out a lot more than his solid and unspectacular play, he was a very good player for most of his 11 seasons.

What does stand out of course is that 2000 playoff run, where at 22, Colin stepped into the lineup and played very well including his first playoff goal in the second round. That goal would be the GWG in an extremely important game 2 against the Leafs where the Devils were down 1-0 in the series.

Edited by devilsrule33

Certainly still able to be a 2nd pair d-man, someone should benefit from this move and take the guy at half price. At 1.5 mill, that'll be a huge bargain for sure, since most NHL defensemen nowadays just have to prove they have a pulse to be worth 1.5. White has been solid his entire career here, and came back from a serious injury. The guy has a lot of character. He'll be missed. I didn't expect this at all, but I guess we'll see how it all plays out. Andy Greene better play some lights out hockey now from game 1, cuz we'll need the experienced guys to be in top form if we aim to have a bunch of rooks in the rotation too. Good luck, Whitey. May you not end up on the Rags or Flyers.

Wow, 10 years battling for us and no one seems to care much about Colin White leaving. I come home and go through the "White and Hunter on Waivers" thread and it just feels wrong that there is not more appreciation for this guy who has played over 700 games as a Devil and was part of Devils Stanley Cup history. No matter how you feel about the guy's play in the last couple years, he deserves our utmost respect. Here's to Colin, here's to 10 years of memories, here's to a true Devil.

Actually he has been a Devil since the 1999-2000 season so he was here for 12-years. He was a Lou soldier for so many years and always played hard. he is a true Devil and will miss him. Want to thank Colin White for a good 12-years here and the monster he was out on the ice before his eye injury. After his eye injury he was not the same player but he did have a decent season last year all considering. Some team will pick him up and he can teach a lot of the young defenseman on that particular team. I can see White going to the Islanders or the Blues once he clears the waivers and gets bought out. I wish White well in the rest of his career and he will always be a New Jersey Devil.

I'm still a little shocked that it ended like this. I still thought he could contribute with his own play next year while helping mentor some of the younger players. Its a shame the role he played lead to him not always getting the credit he deserved but he will always be a Devil to me. I wish him the best wherever he ends up.

Now I need to find a new favorite defenseman on the team. This sucks.

He used to have an annoying penchant for taking a bonehead penalty at an inopportune time, but he worked on it and the problem became a memory. He used to be a major liability with the puck, but worked until he became a minor liability. He took a puck to the eye in practice and would never be able to see the same way again, but he worked hard and ended up playing some of the best hockey of his career with a greatly limited field of vision. Playing with a large visor and needing to protect his eye, he had to adapt his physical style of game, but he still answered the bell on occasion, like the time he broke Bruno Gervais' face last year ...

Say what you will about his skill -- he wasn't the best skater, passer, shooter, etc. -- but the guy certainly was not lacking in heart or determination. He had a great workman-like, blue-collar attitute, and I admired him for it the same way I admired Daneyko for it. That's what I'll remember most about his Devils tenure.

Thanks, Whitey. Best of luck to you.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod