Islanders new arena prop defeated

MadDog2020

Not just Hempstead that's giving Wang grief. The next town over is Garden City and they have been opposed to the Lighthouse, a new arena, refurbishing the Colisium, anything that would take business away from their bars and resturaunts.

I grew up a fan of the Islanders cause Bossy was my guy. When he retired and I stopped watching hockey a while and came back a Devils fan, I never stopped watching the Isles. I hope they get something out of Nassau county cause they don't deserve that team. Let Wang prosper in Suffox cty or Queens.

Mike

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd be like when the Long Island Jawz folded and the NJ Rockin' Rollers got Tony Szabo! Hello Stanley Cup!!

:koolaid::koolaid::koolaid:

:hail:

How the hell would two Jersey teams survive though?

Unless all the Isles fans just follow the team. But it'd probably be re-named and re-branded. So I'm not sure how much loyalty the casual fans would show

There's no way it would work, everyone in that area is already a Devils fan or a Rangers fan. I'm sure some of the Devils fans who are still bitter that the team doesn't play within 10 minutes of their house anymore might switch, but they would have to rely on their already thin fanbase willing to travel across Manhattan to get to the home games.

You mean since they left Hofstra? The move kind of made sense. The state certainly fell all over itself to make it happen.

No they played at Shea Stadium before moving to the Meadowlands, so a lot of their fanbase was located in Long Island and were unhappy with the move to New Jersey.

Not unless Wang decides to actually put some money up. Everyone's interested until they see the deal. We bent over Newark, but at least we put up half the money to do so and Newark's money was kinda questionable....

Wang was putting out no money for the Lighthouse and then he was going to make the lion's share of the revenue. Total garbage deal and Wang was the pointman for the PR. I'm surprised it didn't lose worse considering when the vote was.

Correct me if I'm wrong, there's more money in Suffolk and those are the kinds of people who are not going to front an arena for a hockey team.

Not unless Wang decides to actually put some money up. Everyone's interested until they see the deal. We bent over Newark, but at least we put up half the money to do so and Newark's money was kinda questionable....

Wang was putting out no money for the Lighthouse and then he was going to make the lion's share of the revenue. Total garbage deal and Wang was the pointman for the PR. I'm surprised it didn't lose worse considering when the vote was.

Correct me if I'm wrong, there's more money in Suffolk and those are the kinds of people who are not going to front an arena for a hockey team.

its pretty equal, each county has both really rich areas, and much poorer areas. nassau pays higher taxes then suffolk, so imo nassau is a hair "richer",except in the summer when every rich person goes to the hamptons to vacation. Money is going to have no effect on if the vote passes, its AGE *50+ voted it down, and suffolk wouldve been the same

If they build an arena that is accessible to the LIRR and LIE, then I think suffolk county would work for the Islanders. One of the bad things about their current arena is it's not very accessible to public trans.

Mike

I don't think either of the county sites mentioned is near the LIRR. Problem with Suffolk County is you can't go too far away from the population center of Queens-Nassau-Eastern Suffolk. Go too far out on the island and it would be like building the Prudential Center in Toms River or Lakehurst (and with no real outlet to the east).

I really think they should try Brooklyn. It'll be small (about 14,500), but their fanbase is small at the moment. It's easily accessible by LIRR and by subway, and maybe they could grab some fans in Brooklyn that they wouldn't otherwise have. I think it's a better option than having a new arena built. Getting the Nets to agree is another story though...

I really think they should try Brooklyn. It'll be small (about 14,500), but their fanbase is small at the moment. It's easily accessible by LIRR and by subway, and maybe they could grab some fans in Brooklyn that they wouldn't otherwise have. I think it's a better option than having a new arena built. Getting the Nets to agree is another story though...

I dont think its that easy. Is the Barclay's Center even up to the NHL rule? Theres a rule on arenas, or at least was. Its whats prevented Seattle from getting a team (amongst many other things).

I dont think its that easy. Is the Barclay's Center even up to the NHL rule? Theres a rule on arenas, or at least was. Its whats prevented Seattle from getting a team (amongst many other things).

From what I've read, it's not designed for hockey. Even if there is enough space for a playing surface there would be definite site line issues, much like the arena in Phoenix when the Jets first moved there.

From what I've read, it's not designed for hockey. Even if there is enough space for a playing surface there would be definite site line issues, much like the arena in Phoenix when the Jets first moved there.

I've read a few reports. Before the arena was built, they said it wouldn't be fitted for hockey, but after construction now they say it could be done. There's no minimum for seating (or if there is this would be enough). I think site lines could be an issue, because speaking as an architecture student, if it was designed exclusively for basketball, it wasn't designed for hockey, and that can make a severe difference. Whether it's the difference of not having NHL hockey there, I guess we'll see.

A 14k arena cannot support an NHL team

I've read a few reports. Before the arena was built, they said it wouldn't be fitted for hockey, but after construction now they say it could be done. There's no minimum for seating (or if there is this would be enough). I think site lines could be an issue, because speaking as an architecture student, if it was designed exclusively for basketball, it wasn't designed for hockey, and that can make a severe difference. Whether it's the difference of not having NHL hockey there, I guess we'll see.

I am thinking if this happens, we will see a repeat of the Coyotes old arena how because they put in a hockey rink in an arena designed with dimensions for a basketball arena, you will have seats that have very severely limited view or that kinda hang over the glass lol.