'Budgetary' Reasons for Colin White buyout are likely malarkey

Triumph

Right now the Devils sit with $5.8 million according to capgeek. That number isn't significant in any way, I'm just using it because the Devils clearly have a bunch of salary cap room.

The buyout for Colin White's contract involves ultimately paying him 2/3rds of the value of the contract. So let's say the buyout is worth $2M even though taking into account the time-value of money it's worth slightly less than that. His total contract, as we're all aware, was worth $3M. So that's a savings of $1M.

Except that that's not true - it's really more like a savings of around $500,000. Why's that? Matt Corrente, Mark Fayne, Matt Taormina, Alex Urbom, and Adam Larsson are all on two-way contracts. That means that they get paid significantly less money if they're in the AHL. Replacing White with any of these players means the savings is cut approximately in half.

Then we have to consider White's trade value. Sure, it was apparently negative now, but what about when the season starts? Someone doesn't work out like a team thinks they will, someone gets hurt - more potential spots open up. Assuming a 180 day long season, the Devils still lose less money by a trade if they deal him 108 days or sooner into the season - that's late January. The Devils could also re-entry waive White if they were so inclined.

It seems like, rather than budget reasons, Lou made this move out of respect for White. He wasn't in the long-term plans, he's been a loyal veteran, there were clearly teams interested in White as a free agent, and being traded in season is stressful for a player. They could've save some cash by waiving White, or trading him, but they took a slight cash and cap hit to do right by someone.

Edited by Triumph

I thought along those same lines, only my initial thoughts were more restricted to the idea of White wanting to retire. I figured it was something like this, ala Jay Pandolfo's buyout instead of going to the minors. Showing loyalty and respect to someone that's been a key part of the Devils' defense for over a decade, inasmuch as that's possible while showing them the door.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but they hardly "did right" by him... I get that they wanted to "move in a younger direction", but I'll never ever understand why they didn't let go of Salvador instead (unless they have plans to do that, which, if you listen to Lou, they don't).

Salvador has to be healthy for them to buy him out. I also imagine that given what Salvador went through last season, he is willing to take any NHL role. I don't know if Colin White was ready for that.

Yeah, I guess it was nicer than trading him early in the season, but I fail to see where the Devils come out as the knights in shining armor in this ordeal.

They're not 'knights in shining armor', but this certainly ended better than Rolston, Pandolfo, Langenbrunner, or even Brylin's Devils' career.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but they hardly "did right" by him... I get that they wanted to "move in a younger direction", but I'll never ever understand why they didn't let go of Salvador instead (unless they have plans to do that, which, if you listen to Lou, they don't).

Yeah, I guess it was nicer than trading him early in the season, but I fail to see where the Devils come out as the knights in shining armor in this ordeal.

How would we get rid of Salvador right now? He can't be bought out, and nobody would trade for him. I think it's very unlikely he'll play this year, we just can't get rid of him yet because he's still hurt.

By the way, if you listen to Lou, the plan is for Trent Hunter to play on the Devils this season too.

The White buyout is world championship level dumbassery.

Still have to pay him, still have to take some cap hit (and in essence have given him a cheap 1 year extension... where he doesn't play), and I don't think it was a good decision hockey-wise unless someone else is coming on.

I guess this means that Tallinder and Volchenkov will anchor their own pairs, but that leaves two greenhorns and Andy Greene. Everyone saw what happened when Tallinder and Greene played together. It wasn't good.

He's like watching grass grow, but he's fairly solid defensively, at least. In year 1, his replacement won't be.

This is pretty silly. Hunter's buyout I understand because who the hell really wants him clogging a roster spot, but this was goofy. You cut someone a 2/3rds check to go away when they're useless.

Actually, Lou said the White Buyout was due to going in a different dirtection, while the Hunter move was more budgetary.

From: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/devils_place_colin_white_and_trent_hunter_on_waivers/

Lamoriello said that “budget” was a factor in the decision to buy out both players, but also said the depth of young players in the organization at defense and right wing was a big reason as well. He also mentioned the possible return of defenseman Bryce Salvador after missing all of last season with a concussion.

Why does anyone have to explain anything to us? They are running a business at the end of the day.

Fact of the matter is that White wasnt up to par to meet anyone's standards.

There is no explanation needed so why is everyone searching for one?

I guess this means that Tallinder and Volchenkov will anchor their own pairs, but that leaves two greenhorns and Andy Greene. Everyone saw what happened when Tallinder and Greene played together. It wasn't good.

Did everyone see what happened when they weren't playing together, under MacLean? Yeah, the team was still getting crushed.

He's like watching grass grow, but he's fairly solid defensively, at least. In year 1, his replacement won't be.

While I don't agree with the move, players like White decline rather quickly. Next year in SJ, he will probably be facing weak competition so he'll be a plus player, but I'd be rather surprised if he was playing in the NHL in 2013-14.

that's a pretty good job Tri - after you putting it this way, i suppose i do feel a slight bit different from my "Vanderbeek is panhandling on the corner of Lafayette St" musings the other day.

still not sure i think it was prudent to do it.

I don't think it's a "oh sh!t we're broke!" kind of thing because he still has to be paid a significant amount of money for nothing. As does Trent Hunter. "Oh sh!t we're broke" would be Parise for futures.

Did everyone see what happened when they weren't playing together, under MacLean? Yeah, the team was still getting crushed.

While I don't agree with the move, players like White decline rather quickly. Next year in SJ, he will probably be facing weak competition so he'll be a plus player, but I'd be rather surprised if he was playing in the NHL in 2013-14.

I agree, especially since with a new team any sentimental value goes out the window. It's just weird as a one year thing. You still have to pay him $2M up front, you still take a $1M cap hit, + the extra "cheap extension" the season after, and he's not really bad enough to justify it especially if the replacements are ?'s.

If someone else comes in, obviously I'd change my opinion on this.

I would have gone to camp and let someone take his spot before I ditched him. Depending on how it plays out, hell, you might end up paying him less. Obviously if he gets signed quickly, he still has SOME value, as long as the team trading for him had banked cap space.

I would have gone to camp and let someone take his spot before I ditched him. Depending on how it plays out, hell, you might end up paying him less.

Huh? That was the entire point of my post. The Devils almost certainly passed on money here. That makes me think that it's not $$$ driving this decision. Rather than jerk a guy around and move him in season, they decided to do right by him and get rid of him before that.

Obviously if he gets signed quickly, he still has SOME value, as long as the team trading for him had banked cap space.

Right, and other teams made offers. He's clearly still an NHL player.

He'll still be in the NHL then. There's always a role for a depth defenseman willing to play physical and nasty. Hell, Sean O'Donnell probably should have been out of the NHL years ago and he's still signing contracts - on good teams with a chance to win and a need for a veteran d-man willing to play a reduced role.

He'll still be in the NHL then. There's always a role for a depth defenseman willing to play physical and nasty. Hell, Sean O'Donnell probably should have been out of the NHL years ago and he's still signing contracts - on good teams with a chance to win and a need for a veteran d-man willing to play a reduced role.

They're the exception and not the rule. For every O'Donnell and Richardson there's multiple McKees or Matvichuks.

Edited by Triumph

Ohhhh now dont get me started on Sean O'Donnell that ^#&*#($^&*(#^ would have been on his ass -- sh!t the second he shaved during the Denver series... I really liked that sh!thead and then he shaved -- and then... well --- it's ancient history now... but he's STILL in the NHL? barnie.gif

As for White -- I agree with the move. He used to be our servicable young'un. He never progressed beyond that --- it's a fact. While it's still top notch because the D was THAT good --- it wasn't there. and his personality was too strong -- while he wasnt stepping up -- whatever.... Love Collie -- but - it's just not there :noclue:

whatever I've written it all before... whole thread is a rehash - I'm going back to starry brazier post :giggle:

Edited by Pepperkorn

Matvichuk and what the hell was that? All these stupid sh!ts left their value at the door thinking it wasn't the Devils way... <_< a$$holes all of them. And dudes like White are telling them what the Devils way is... what the System is -- and they have no CLUE how to articulate it -- just how to fvck it all up and confiuse the sh!t outta everyone...

I guess that's just my sense of it all and no one even understands what the fvck I'm talking about :evil:

and I just hear my husband "why are you swearing?" STFU! I'm TRASH THAT"S WHY! HAPPY NOW?????? ^&$#%^(&$^&(^#$&%$)@&*

:evil:

It seems like, rather than budget reasons, Lou made this move out of respect for White. He wasn't in the long-term plans, he's been a loyal veteran, there were clearly teams interested in White as a free agent, and being traded in season is stressful for a player. They could've save some cash by waiving White, or trading him, but they took a slight cash and cap hit to do right by someone.

Yeah I'm not buying the budget reasons either. Especially not on a contract with one year left where you can't say it's about projected budget in the future. And then there's the whole point that White can be traded at any time if there's an emergency. This is a "different direction" move. Lou is rebuilding and whats the room to develop the youth fast so that this is a 3 year plan and not a 5 year plan.

Actually, Lou said the White Buyout was due to going in a different dirtection, while the Hunter move was more budgetary.

Not to derail the thread or anything, but this is the first I've seen the new CMON handle. It got me thinking ...

I officially raise the motion that, from now on, we refer to DeBoer as DeBo for short.

Sorry for the interruption. You may now return to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Not to derail the thread or anything, but this is the first I've seen the new CMON handle. It got me thinking ...

I officially raise the motion that, from now on, we refer to DeBoer as DeBo for short.

Sorry for the interruption. You may now return to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Would we pronounce it DEEBOH or DEHBOH?