Historically, Which NJD Trade Irked You the Most?

Sharifijanov2099

Yeah, that was one of Lou's worst. I was royally pissed at that deal. I couldn't fathom how he couldn't get more for Johnny Mac than that.

MacLean didn't help Lou's cause at all with that one...he came right out in a pre-game show and said that he wasn't happy with his new role (more of a checking role) and had asked Lou for a trade.

I hated that trade simply because I was a big MacLean fan and was sad to see him go, but it didn't irk me because I understood he had to go.

Loved the Gilmour deal at the time...I remember John Davidson was being interviewed on the WFAN and in the middle of it he said "And the Devils just made a deal for Doug Gilmour"...I was thrilled.

It's funny, I can't really think of any one deal that had me saying WTF? I'm not the biggest Kovy fan in the world now that I've had a chance to see him, but I'll always feel it was the right move at the right time, given the team's needs and the relatively low cost. Hopefully he can continue to build on the improvements he showed last season.

I do remember thinking the Arnott/McKay for Langs/Newy was weird at the time, mostly because I thought Lou was giving up on the A-line too quickly (though they did NOT have a good season that year...they were especially dreadful on the road). Safe to say it worked out nicely.

Whatever the hell brought us Jocelyn Lemieux, mainly because Claude was my favorite player and bringing in his brother was a transparent attempt to re-add what the team missed when they shipped Claude out for Stumpy...

I was gonna post this trade for another reason ...

I started following the team in '95 (great year to get into the Devils, right?) and, being from Brick, was naturally a huge Jim Dowd fan. The second game I went to in my life, my Dad and I got there WAY early and saw players walking in. I ran to the car, grabbed the only autographable thing I could find (a Post-it note) and ran back to the Brendan Byrne box office entrance in time to get one last player's John Hancock ... it was Dowd. I remember being at my friend's birthday party the day of Game 2 of the Final, and the party paused while the game was on. We all lost our 12-year-old minds when Dowd scored what turned out to be the game-winner. And I was out of state for the parking lot parade, but you can bet your ass I was at the Dowd celebration at his old high school a few weeks later where he had this cheesy mini-motorcade around the football field while we all went apesh!t.

Then, just a couple weeks later, he was sent to Vancouver in a three-way deal that brought us Jocelyn Lemieux. Broke my heart. I think I still have the Asbury Park Press with the picture of him boarding the plane after getting dealt.

So, yeah, that's easily the deal that irked me the most.

I started following the team in '95 (great year to get into the Devils, right?) and, being from Brick, was naturally a huge Jim Dowd fan. The second game I went to in my life, my Dad and I got there WAY early and saw players walking in. I ran to the car, grabbed the only autographable thing I could find (a Post-it note) and ran back to the Brendan Byrne box office entrance in time to get one last player's John Hancock ... it was Dowd. I remember being at my friend's birthday party the day of Game 2 of the Final, and the party paused while the game was on. We all lost our 12-year-old minds when Dowd scored what turned out to be the game-winner. And I was out of state for the parking lot parade, but you can bet your ass I was at the Dowd celebration at his old high school a few weeks later where he had this cheesy mini-motorcade around the football field while we all went apesh!t.

Then, just a couple weeks later, he was sent to Vancouver in a three-way deal that brought us Jocelyn Lemieux. Broke my heart. I think I still have the Asbury Park Press with the picture of him boarding the plane after getting dealt.

That deal was made in mid-December of '95 I think...I understood that deal at the time...after a good start I think the Devils had fallen to under-.500 when the Lou made the trade...seemed like he was trying to shake things up, and with Brylin waiting in the wings, Dowd was expendable, local boy heroics and all. Lou tried to get things going a few times that year, trading for Esa Tikkanen (who clearly wanted no part of NJ), and then for Phil Housely, but except for the beginning of the season and a pretty good stretch somewhere around the middle of the season, that '95-'96 team just never got it going...and none of the trades panned out at all.

Yeah, that trade killed me. I wasn't from Brick, but I loved having a Jersey guy on the Devils. What bothered me at the time was that it was 6 days before Christmas, and he'd be on the other side of the country instead of with his family. And as a 15 year old, I didn't really have a grasp on the idea that sports were a business, haha. I thought Lou was such a jerk.

That deal was made in mid-December of '95 I think...I understood that deal at the time...after a good start I think the Devils had fallen to under-.500 when the Lou made the trade...seemed like he was trying to shake things up, and with Brylin waiting in the wings, Dowd was expendable, local boy heroics and all. Lou tried to get things going a few times that year, trading for Esa Tikkanen (who clearly wanted no part of NJ), and then for Phil Housely, but except for the beginning of the season and a pretty good stretch somewhere around the middle of the season, that '95-'96 team just never got it going...and none of the trades panned out at all.

Ah yes, you and Dan are right on the timing. For some reason I thought it was that summer.

During my time working at the newspaper, I had the pleasure of working with Dowd to organize coverage of his annual Monmouth vs. Ocean high school all-star hockey game. Just a ridiculously great guy.

Ah yes, you and Dan are right on the timing. For some reason I thought it was that summer.

During my time working at the newspaper, I had the pleasure of working with Dowd to organize coverage of his annual Monmouth vs. Ocean high school all-star hockey game. Just a ridiculously great guy.

That's cool.

I remember when Dowd had 15 points in 15 GP in '93-'94, my friend was trying to extrapolate that over a full season, saying things like, "Man, next year he might put up 80 points!" Amazing his career lasted as long as it did...says a lot about his heart and love of the game.

I remember being sad when we shipped Bill Guerin and Valeri Zelepukin off to Edmonton for Jason Arnott and Bryan Muir. I remember I taped the next Devils pregame on my VCR just so I could watch Bill and Valeri's final farewell interviews as Devils. ... However, obviously, Arnott won me over bigtime within a year.

Also, I was somewhat bummed when we traded Sheldon Souray for Vladimir Malakhov. Souray was young and had a superheavy slapshot. I thought he was going to be a mainstay on the backline for years to come.

And lastly, I too wasn't a fan of the Arnott/McKay-Nieuwendyk/Langenbrunner deal, mostly because Randy McKay was my favorite Devils player. ... Obviously, that trade worked out well too.

I remember being sad when we shipped Bill Guerin and Valeri Zelepukin off to Edmonton for Jason Arnott and Bryan Muir. I remember I taped the next Devils pregame on my VCR just so I could watch Bill and Valeri's final farewell interviews as Devils. ... However, obviously, Arnott won me over bigtime within a year.

This one looked like it was going to be a disaster at first...Arnott was lost for both teams he played for (35 GP, 5 G and 13 A, -16 for Edmonton, 35 GP, 5 G and 10 A, -8 for the Devils) his first year here.

I vaguely remember that interview with Zelepukin. He seemed hurt by the trade, mentioning that he always did whatever the team asked of him without complaint. Tough to watch. Zelepukin was definitely a favorite.

I honestly can't think of a trade that Lou has made where I've said 'I just don't get that one'. Maybe the Martin Skoula deal? I think the Gilmour trade was a great deal, and still do.

I 2nd that... the Gilmour trade was a great deal, Sully was a nice player, but he was no Doug Gilmour, Gilmour was considered an elite center atr the time. And the devils were going to lose Mcauley for nothing becuase he refused to sign...