Players the Devils almost got through trade

Derlique

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was actually on Puck Daddy earlier today. I didn't know about it, IDK if anyone else did. But its from Nightmare on Helm Street. Seems like one of those rumors, kind of like Sheldon Souray a couple of years ago, only its about Scott Gomez for Pavel Datsyuk. Definitely was one of those imagine that moments when I was reading it.

Nightmare on Helm Street

Rob Niedermayer, supposedly we were close to getting him at either the '03 or '04 deadline but Calgary (I think) swooped in last minute. If we had gotten him the first five years of the post-lockout era might have been different :lol:

Lou was supposedly close to getting Hossa a couple years ago too, but the Pens swooped in at the last minute.

Retroactive rumors thread? That's the best kind.

Gomez for Datsyuk is one that PuckDaddy linked to the other day, that's a real mind-bender.

The Selanne non-trade worked out alright - Devils kept Gomez and won the Cup.

There are all kinds of speculative trades that didn't happen - Robert Lang, Martin Havlat, Marian Hossa, Olli Jokinen, Mats Sundin, etc.

This is a fun Google search when you set parameters. Trade rumor back in 2003: Gomez to CLB for Ray Whitney and Andrew Cassels. Trade rumor back in 2002 (from (N)Єverson, of course): Devils will blow up the team, acquire Paul Kariya. Also from 2002: Gomez for Mike Grier.

I remember Holik and Gomez for Lecavalier being considered in 2001.

http://www.sptimes.com/News/120701/Sports/Lecavalier_wants_a_tr.shtml

Apparently Arnott was also potentially considered (at least the media speculated). Hard to believe that was 10 years ago.

I completely forgot about that rumored trade. I know Gomez was one of the names tossed around in that as well as Arnott, but didn't know about Holik.

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

IIRC, there were rumors around the time Lou was blowing up the A-Line of moving Arnott to San Jose for Marleau.

Could only wish

Chere rumored Stevens for Jagr, and then for Fedorov (separate occasions) in either 97 or 98.

ESPN broke a rumor of Arnott or Holik straight up for Sakic before the start of the 99-2000 season...I remember being shocked that a hockey rumor made it's way onto SportsCenter at the time.

True, I take pride in what the Devs did q/o him but I will always wonder how much more popular the Devs would have been. It is a great what if scenario.

They would have been different for sure in terms of exposure and attention. That's the only sure thing.

However, it's a good guess Lemieux's career as a Devil would never have turned out the way it did in Pittsburgh if Lamoriello still came aboard in 1987. The "Old School Lou" of the past would never have allowed Mario Lemieux the same wide birth, considerations, marketing and catering to he recieved in Pittsburgh. Lemeiux might not have been a Devil long enough to impact the franchise that severely to rob them of any Cups.

Am I crazy or do I remember a rumor of a young Daneyko being bandied about for Yzerman at some point in the late '80's, early '90's ????

Sounds nuts, but I'd swear it's true.

Was that when Lou gave Dano the drummer speech?

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

Not sure how many of these are actually true...we know how these rumors get spread around without much to back them up, other than "sources close to"...

Anyway, I did hear Sakic back in the early 90s...forget when though. I also heard Gilmour was offered for Sean Burke straight-up back when Burke was still living off '88.

Back in 2000, there was a heavy rumor about Mark Messier to the Devils. I remember McMullen shot it down publicly.

I'm kind of surprised no one else brought that up yet.

Actually, I remember Messier actually telling Rich Chere that he had been all but dealt to the Devils back during the 92-93 season, but his getting hurt squashed the deal.

I remember that in 2000...Neverson really ran with that one...of course when the Devils went down 3-1 to the Flyers he said that the Devils not bringing in Messier would likely cost them the Cup. Oops...

Lou put a package together for Eric Lindros when Quebec was forced to trade him right after the draft. I still remember it came down to the Rangers and Flyers, but the Flyers offered the better package and did it just before the rags final package.

I would've loved to know what the package actually was...I think IIRC 10 or so teams submitted packages, then Pierre Page was going back and forth with the Rags and Flyers trying to squeeze out every last asset...I also remember a third team saying they had a deal in place, but that Page had reneged on it.