Hockey cards

Mayday

i used to collect them working from the general boxes and I eventually stopped once I started getting Trilogy level hobby boxes. i would love to start collecting again but prices are so high for so little. i don't want to buy a $400 box and get 5 cards but on the same note I don't want to buy a $60 box and get a couple of average patches/autos and obtain 50+ base cards.

i've decided to try ebay and go for singular cards now, any experience here?

my most valued cards are probably a SP Authentic Future Watch Zach Parise /999 and a O-Pee-Chee Premier Parings of Patrick Roy/Ray Bourque /25...i've seen the Parise card on ebay for around $60 and the Bourque/Roy for $150-$250.

any advice, insight, experience? thanks!

I know nothing about cards but have been collecting them since a young age. Mostly Devils cards. I tried a few months back looking up the value of some of them but when you start seeing they are worth less then one dollar its pretty disheartening.

I have a few cool cards though like a Marty rookie card and what not.

I know nothing about cards but have been collecting them since a young age. Mostly Devils cards. I tried a few months back looking up the value of some of them but when you start seeing they are worth less then one dollar its pretty disheartening.

I remember getting a Brodeur rookie card for $1 about 12 years ago. Still worth the same amount today.

Cards get expensive fast... at one point, I spend 8k in a year on em back in '06.

My advice, don't try to collect everything... have a clear focus on what you like. At one point, I tried collecting every Devils card /100 from every Upper Deck set issued.

Base was easy, so were most of the jerseys... but you start getting into bidding wars on Ebay etc on the good stuff.

Also, check out http://www.sportscardforum.com/ they have an active trading community and are tight knit... you won't get ripped off there in trades.

The pride of my collection is my Zach Parise rookie collection. I have every card issued /100 or greater. With some nice ones below /100 as well.

My favorite is The Cup rookies... I have 2 jersey autos /199. One two-color, One three color with stitching.

I also have a /25 The Cup Platinum version of Zach Parise. Its plain, it boring, but very rare.

Cards get expensive fast... at one point, I spend 8k in a year on em back in '06.

My advice, don't try to collect everything... have a clear focus on what you like. At one point, I tried collecting every Devils card /100 from every Upper Deck set issued.

Base was easy, so were most of the jerseys... but you start getting into bidding wars on Ebay etc on the good stuff.

Also, check out http://www.sportscardforum.com/ they have an active trading community and are tight knit... you won't get ripped off there in trades.

The pride of my collection is my Zach Parise rookie collection. I have every card issued /100 or greater. With some nice ones below /100 as well.

My favorite is The Cup rookies... I have 2 jersey autos /199. One two-color, One three color with stitching.

I also have a /25 The Cup Platinum version of Zach Parise. Its plain, it boring, but very rare.

Nice!

before i was knowledable i was buying a lot of different things.

tried ebay and snagged a couple of nice autos/patches at pretty cheap prices from .99 to $5. if you're not looking for the best of the best ebay seems pretty good

I collect Devils cards. I try to complete each base set. I also am working on trying to get at least 1 autographed card from any player who has been a Devil, but the player has to be pictured in a Devils jersey. Just picked up autos fron Lever and Verbeek autos from ITG.

My pride and joy is my Brodeur collection. It's not that large, only over 300 cards, but I love the chase and adding to it. Brodeur is expensive, so I don't buy a lot because of it. I usually make trades or participate in group breaks.

Another good card forum is tradingcardcentral.com. I've been a part of it for a few years now and there are a great group of guys there.

Mike

I was a card dealer with direct accounts from Topps, Upper Deck and Fleer. One reason (of many) i got out was due to rising pack/box/case costs and the reflection it had on my customers as well.

eBay also had a big impact on everything from dealers to collectors and killed off card shows in the process.

I kept alot of my hockey (OPC/Topps rookies), vintage baseball, HOF Topps football rookies, etc. when i left the business. They are to pass down to my baby son when he's old enough to enjoy them.

When i got into game worn stuff, i used the Devils cards as references and for photomatches. I decieded to go and complete a "master set" of every Devils team card set (base cards mostly with some insert sets, a few auto'd rookies) produced from 1982-2011 and although i've slacked recently i would like to continue to complete it down the road. In the process, i've amassed thousands of duplicates from the 80's and 90's mostly with assorted 2000+'s mixed in. If anyone is looking for single cards LMK i'll see if i have it, id be glad to move them on the cheap!

I was a card dealer with direct accounts from Topps, Upper Deck and Fleer. One reason (of many) i got out was due to rising pack/box/case costs and the reflection it had on my customers as well.

eBay also had a big impact on everything from dealers to collectors and killed off card shows in the process.

I kept alot of my hockey (OPC/Topps rookies), vintage baseball, HOF Topps football rookies, etc. when i left the business. They are to pass down to my baby son when he's old enough to enjoy them.

When i got into game worn stuff, i used the Devils cards as references and for photomatches. I decieded to go and complete a "master set" of every Devils team card set (base cards mostly with some insert sets, a few auto'd rookies) produced from 1982-2011 and although i've slacked recently i would like to continue to complete it down the road. In the process, i've amassed thousands of duplicates from the 80's and 90's mostly with assorted 2000+'s mixed in. If anyone is looking for single cards LMK i'll see if i have it, id be glad to move them on the cheap!

Is there a checklist somewhere on line that shows every Devils card produced? I tried Beckett, but reading that site is like trying to read Chinese algebra. Not good.

Mike

Thanks so much. Joined up and I look forward to looking at the site.

Mike

Is there any serious financial value in sports cards these days? I heard it is pretty dim and from the sound of your posting that seems to ring true.

IDK I just never got into collecting sports cards and at this point if you are doing it for financial gain, they are not a good investment. If you are doing it as a hobby, then I can def see the interest in that.

Is there any serious financial value in sports cards these days? I heard it is pretty dim and from the sound of your posting that seems to ring true.

IDK I just never got into collecting sports cards and at this point if you are doing it for financial gain, they are not a good investment. If you are doing it as a hobby, then I can def see the interest in that.

IMO, buy vintage (pre-1980). That's probably the best advice i can give in today's market. If one can afford graded vintage, better yet. I used to watch people buy hundreds and thousands of dollars worth of current cards and think to myself "they could have bought a Mickey Mantle instead!"

Why do people in all sports like rookie cards so much?

cheap now and if the players pan out the value of that once cheap card goes up

just sold my roy/bourque patch auto for $60 and my gagne swatch for $15

i also picked up a matt taormina rookie auto for about $4 along with a palmieri, jofeson, and tedenby rookie autos and a clermont swatch. i'm going to try to stick to just devils now as a hobby and sell of any other cards.

not worth too much but my favorite card:102183.JPG?v=20110628112410

Edited by Mayday

Once I finish scanning all 294 Broduer cards to my photobucket, I'll leave a link here so you can check them out if you wish.

Mike

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

I stopped collecting so I don't even have Parise or Ilya as Devils. I will start up again though! Got Crosby rookie card and few Brodeur(s) that might be worth something in the future