Soccer style NHL Jerseys

jagknife

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...what am I missing here? The white Devils jersey looks like a white t-shirt with 'Prudential' on it.

How is that so cool?

Admittedly don't watch soccer (at all).

I was thinking the same thing. I wasnt to impressed.

Its like the baseball style jerseys. :rolleyes:

Edited by Quinn01

...what am I missing here? The white Devils jersey looks like a white t-shirt with 'Prudential' on it.

How is that so cool?

Admittedly don't watch soccer (at all).

It is a nice clean look with a good color combination. There are a lot of ugly and busy soccer jerseys out there so something simple goes a long way in that sport.

Look at the Dutch national team. They just wear orange. That's it. And it is still one of the most recognizable and iconic soccer jerseys out there.

I'm not a fan of soccer jersies because of the huge sponsor tags across the chest. I don't think these look too bad, I've even got some Irish Gaelic Football jersies that are similar, but I wouldn't get one. Some of them are cool enough, but definitely not for me.

Completely disagree. In Soccer the the jersey don't look all the same. Anyone who watches Soccer can tell you which team is which team by looking at his TV (no close ups)

For casual fans, it's not that easy. My friend is a much bigger soccer fan than me and occasionally I watch games with him and often it takes me quite a while to figure out which team is which since the jerseys on both sides just look like colored t-shirts with big ads on them. Sure, usually one is colored dark and the other light but that doesn't help very much when you can't see any team logo on them.

To clarify, I'm not trying to attack soccer as a sport or say that hockey is better than soccer or anything like that (although I do think it is, that's a subject for another debate). All I'm saying is that hockey jerseys are clearly better than soccer jerseys, and I don't really see how you could disagree with that. Hockey jerseys are instantly recognizable by their unique color schemes and jersey designs, and on top of that the team crest is very clearly displayed right in the center.

For casual fans, it's not that easy. My friend is a much bigger soccer fan than me and occasionally I watch games with him and often it takes me quite a while to figure out which team is which since the jerseys on both sides just look like colored t-shirts with big ads on them. Sure, usually one is colored dark and the other light but that doesn't help very much when you can't see any team logo on them.

To clarify, I'm not trying to attack soccer as a sport or say that hockey is better than soccer or anything like that (although I do think it is, that's a subject for another debate). All I'm saying is that hockey jerseys are clearly better than soccer jerseys, and I don't really see how you could disagree with that. Hockey jerseys are instantly recognizable by their unique color schemes and jersey designs, and on top of that the team crest is very clearly displayed right in the center.

Are you seriously saying that if one team wears all or mostly black and the other wears all or mostly white in soccer, you have trouble telling who is on what team without a huge crest on them? When I am watching hockey sometimes I cannot see the crest clearly but I know who the Devils are pretty clearly and who the other team is just by the colors.

For casual fans, it's not that easy. My friend is a much bigger soccer fan than me and occasionally I watch games with him and often it takes me quite a while to figure out which team is which since the jerseys on both sides just look like colored t-shirts with big ads on them.

This is the same for all the sports. To a random fan who watches games occasionally they aren't going to be able to tell teams apart unless they know the general color schemes of the team. Soccer jerseys look great, they're nice and simple and fit what the sport needs. Also if you want to talk about giant billboards let's compare.

Soccer:

ManUtdHSS0708.jpg

Hockey:

tik661f.jpg

This is the same for all the sports. To a random fan who watches games occasionally they aren't going to be able to tell teams apart unless they know the general color schemes of the team. Soccer jerseys look great, they're nice and simple and fit what the sport needs. Also if you want to talk about giant billboards let's compare.

Soccer:

ManUtdHSS0708.jpg

Hockey:

tik661f.jpg

Haha exactly.

Those European hockey jerseys look like they are leftovers from NASCAR

Are you seriously saying that if one team wears all or mostly black and the other wears all or mostly white in soccer, you have trouble telling who is on what team without a huge crest on them? When I am watching hockey sometimes I cannot see the crest clearly but I know who the Devils are pretty clearly and who the other team is just by the colors.

I'm not saying that I can't tell white and black apart, I'm saying that if I were to turn on a game of, say, Man City vs. Arsenal, it might take me a little while to figure out if Man City is the team with light blue shirts and Honda logos or the team with black shirts and Motorola logos (I know these probably aren't correct I'm just making this up). I'm not that familiar with the individual players or anything so I have to wait until the commentators give me a clue as to which team is which, which might be a few minutes. Some people probably know ahead of time what the "team colors" are, but if you don't, it's confusing. The color schemes aren't as straight-forward as hockey either. They don't seem to really use reverse color schemes for home and away jerseys, they're just totally different. For example, I just looked up Arsenal - their home jerseys are red with white stripes on the sleeves, their away jerseys are yellow with black pinstripes, and their third jersey is just solid blue. Unless you're a fan, you're not going to be able to follow all of this crap, and since their team logo is just a tiny patch on the upper left of the jersey, you're not going to be able to see it unless they do a close-up on a player. Hockey teams at least usually stick to two or three main recognizable colors, and then reverse them for home and away... although third jerseys are usually completely different.

I'm obviously talking about NHL jerseys here... so that's irrelevant. And like I said above at least hockey teams generally use recognizable patterns for home/away jerseys and reverse color schemes. If you know the basic colors of a team you can usually tell from far away which is which. Soccer is not so simple.

The soccer jerseys don't look bad, but I wouldn't buy one because to me, they are more shirts than jerseys (based on fit/cut).

As far as the sponsors go I agree, I laugh my ass off when I see Union fans (which is at least once a week given my location) with the giant BIMBO logo slung across the chest.

bimbounionnormal.jpg

I'm not saying that I can't tell white and black apart, I'm saying that if I were to turn on a game of, say, Man City vs. Arsenal, it might take me a little while to figure out if Man City is the team with light blue shirts and Honda logos or the team with black shirts and Motorola logos (I know these probably aren't correct I'm just making this up). I'm not that familiar with the individual players or anything so I have to wait until the commentators give me a clue as to which team is which, which might be a few minutes. Some people probably know ahead of time what the "team colors" are, but if you don't, it's confusing. The color schemes aren't as straight-forward as hockey either. They don't seem to really use reverse color schemes for home and away jerseys, they're just totally different. For example, I just looked up Arsenal - their home jerseys are red with white stripes on the sleeves, their away jerseys are yellow with black pinstripes, and their third jersey is just solid blue. Unless you're a fan, you're not going to be able to follow all of this crap, and since their team logo is just a tiny patch on the upper left of the jersey, you're not going to be able to see it unless they do a close-up on a player. Hockey teams at least usually stick to two or three main recognizable colors, and then reverse them for home and away... although third jerseys are usually completely different.

I am sorry but this is just like any sport if you have a limited knowledge of what you are watching. My Dad watches hockey with me, he has never followed it until i started watching and playing (more playing so he could understand what he was watching when he came to my games), and he couldn't tell you who was who if you were just watching a game.

He has picked up bits and pieces as time has gone on but still struggles from time to time. For example the other day a family friend showed him a Montréal Canadians jersey pin he had, my dad has watched them play quite a few times, and he still didn't have a clue what team it was. This is one of the most recognisable jerseys in the NHL.

Also with the colours of shirts like Arsenals most of the time the away or third colour shirt has something to do with the clubs history (this has been lost a bit of late but still has an influence)so unless you have a particular knowledge of a football clubs history it wont mean that much to you. (For example in the 50's Arsenal had to have an away kit to play in the fa cup, they chose yellow.

The reason they vary so much from the primary colours of the home kit is because they need to be different as part of the rules. For example if Arsenal had a red home kit and a white away kit and Man united had a red home kit and white away kit and they were playing each other, its still not clear who is who (since there is no requirement to wear your away kit if you are actually playing away unlike the NHL). But if for example arsenal have a Red home, yellow away and united have a red home and blue away kit then they become easier to distinguish.

I am sorry but this is just like any sport if you have a limited knowledge of what you are watching. My Dad watches hockey with me, he has never followed it until i started watching and playing (more playing so he could understand what he was watching when he came to my games), and he couldn't tell you who was who if you were just watching a game.

In hockey it is easy to figure out because the jerseys are all designed differently, teams use unique color palettes, and logos are large. Sure, if you're watching your first hockey game ever, you might be confused because you aren't familiar with any team logos or colors. But it's easy to pick up fast. Soccer is much more confusing for the reasons I stated, plus you can add on that since the field is larger the players are harder to see on TV. Soccer fields also generally look the same, while hockey rinks have team logos in the center, plus other unique features that help you distinguish them.

Also with the colours of shirts like Arsenals most of the time the away or third colour shirt has something to do with the clubs history (this has been lost a bit of late but still has an influence)so unless you have a particular knowledge of a football clubs history it wont mean that much to you. (For example in the 50's Arsenal had to have an away kit to play in the fa cup, they chose yellow.

The reason they vary so much from the primary colours of the home kit is because they need to be different as part of the rules. For example if Arsenal had a red home kit and a white away kit and Man united had a red home kit and white away kit and they were playing each other, its still not clear who is who (since there is no requirement to wear your away kit if you are actually playing away unlike the NHL). But if for example arsenal have a Red home, yellow away and united have a red home and blue away kit then they become easier to distinguish.

This only supports my point. It's confusing. Why can't each team just have 2-3 unique colors and build their jerseys around those? Also, why aren't their more unique designs? Some of them have stripes, but you don't see many of the curved patterns or designs that you see on a lot of hockey jerseys. From what I've seen, a lot of soccer jerseys are just solid colors. Why not design them better to distinguish one from another?

Even if the NHL licensed this, the Devils would never have them as long as Lou is around because of the huge Prudential logo. Not gonna happen. Even in the minors there’s no sponsorship on any of the jerseys (and in the ECHL at least, pretty much everyone has sponsors on the jerseys, if only on the back, at the bottom).

Frankly I wouldn’t be interested in a Prudential jersey, which is what it looks like…

Even if the NHL licensed this, the Devils would never have them as long as Lou is around because of the huge Prudential logo. Not gonna happen. Even in the minors there’s no sponsorship on any of the jerseys (and in the ECHL at least, pretty much everyone has sponsors on the jerseys, if only on the back, at the bottom).

Frankly I wouldn’t be interested in a Prudential jersey, which is what it looks like…

That has not stopped Red Bulls supporters from buying jerseys.

Fact is outside the major North American sports, advertising on jerseys are quite common and no one really cares all that much about the sponsors on it.