Earthquake

insanity_gallops

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Felt it here in Hillsborough, NJ. Very minor, very slight vibrations, but noticable. Lasted maybe 5 seconds.

I have a cousin in Boston and he just emailed the family that his office building had shattered windows on the 3rd and 4th floors. My cousin in Virginia Beach hasn't answered his phone or my texts. Hope hes okay.

Hasn't impacted me, but lots of word that cellphone service is interrupted in places. My guess is that's your leading candidate right now.

I have a cousin in Boston and he just emailed the family that his office building had shattered windows on the 3rd and 4th floors. My cousin in Virginia Beach hasn't answered his phone or my texts. Hope hes okay.

Cell Phone services drop when they get overwhelmed. We saw that during 9-11. Dont worry until you know its time to start worrying. NYPD reported that they want people to stop calling 911 unless its a real emergency because so many people are calling the system is starting to suffer.

WABC just put this up on Facebook DM:

"Verizon Wireless, AT&T and Sprint say their networks are congested as people scramble for the phones after the earthquake."

The Rock just reported they felt it at the arena.

Edited by Quinn01

Felt it for a minute here (exit 12 on the turnpike). Proud of myself that I knew what it was almost right away, considering I've never experienced something like that before.

Anyhoo, that was fun.

I'm annoyed that I still can't make or receive phone calls - if AT&T can't handle this, how are they gonna handle a real emergency?

Definitely felt it down here in MD, but it wasn't anything major. My first thought, honestly, was that a fat person must be walking down the hall, shaking the floor. But then the cubicle walls started swaying, something fell off someone's shelf in a nearby office, the lights swung from the ceiling and my boss ran in yelling for everyone to get out. Everything seems to be fine, though. We still got sent home early for precaution's sake.

I'm on the 10th floor of a building in mid town Manhattan and I felt it pretty good. In fact, we were all sitting in the office, minding our own business when my boss comes in and says, in a somewhat panicked way, "Is the floor moving???". At first, both myself and my co-worker looked like him like he was nuts but then my friends chair started quivering and I could see my desk listing left and right. Very weird feeling, and since I'm right in front of a window, I could see the building mpoving ever so slightly to the left and right. We all evacuated the floor but the building never forced one and we were all able to get back inside after twenty minutes. Nothing major, but weird to literally feel a building move like that.

parsipanny checking in with definite swaying .. if anything, we all learned from other disasters and quickly evacuated the building --

We've all grown totally dependent on cells and electricity, the moment that is severed for any extended period, we will pay a price.

cry.gifcry.gif

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

This one is felt up into Canada and out towards Detroit. Dam my first 30 secodn earthquake. This down now just the Hurricane to go! According to FEMA we should be prepared it's getting stronger and still heading same direction

This one is felt up into Canada and out towards Detroit. Dam my first 30 secodn earthquake. This down now just the Hurricane to go! According to FEMA we should be prepared it's getting stronger and still heading same direction

Dont get to excited there BiB. By the time Irene gets up here in NJ, itll just be a thunderstorm and some winds.

I dont see what all the excitement about this earthquake is. Thats just part of mother nature. Plus we act like this over an earthquake meanwhile people out in Tornado Valley get slammed and thats just part of life out there....

Maybe we are wimps out here on the East Coast. :whistling:

I dont see what all the excitement about this earthquake is. Thats just part of mother nature.

The excitement (and fear) is that a 5.9 magnitude earthquake on the Eastern seaboard does not happen every day. As a matter of fact, it happens once in every 100+ years or so. This was kind of a big deal based on that.

Plus we act like this over an earthquake meanwhile people out in Tornado Valley get slammed and thats just part of life out there....

Maybe we are wimps out here on the East Coast. :whistling:

There were alot of scared people out there today who experienced something they never have before or never thought they would. An event like an earthquake on the East seaboard to a tornado in the midwest isn't a good comparison.

Edited by SJP20

It was felt up here in the Albany area (some buildings evacuated, though I don't know if they were "officially" evacuated or just people spilling out onto the streets out of fear/curiosity), but I didn't notice anything. In fact, I didn't know anything happened at all until I saw thelastonealive yakking about it on Twitter.

So this is kind o funny..

So by the time the earthquake hit was in the living-room sleeping, when I heard the noises and felt shaking, and I instantly tough was the Condo's Grass-Cutter that every Monday or Tuesday pass by my apartment making huge noises and shaking stuff.

It wasn't until one hour and half later ,when i Finally woke up , loged in on the facetube and saw the news that the Rock Flet the Earthquake.

By this time was like WTF??? earthquake ?? where When??

So yeah I think i'm the only human being to mistake a earthquake for a Grass-cutter. :lol: :lol: