NJDevs FHL Season #9 is underway!

NJDevs4978

It was just a season where just about anything that could go wrong did for me, I was due one of them. Even players I was autodrafted and liked had poor years. I'm glad you won the league in spite of our trade though, I would have felt bad about you losing based off overpaying me Elias, Marty and Filpulla for Staal lol.

To be honest, it's a trade I would still do.

Marty was going to ride bench all year for me as insurance for Quick.

Fipulla was useless to me as a center... when he got that wing tag, he became more valuable.

So before the tag change, the only "starter" I was trading was Elias for Staal.

I was upset to learn I could have gotten Claude Giroux for the same price... but Staal turned out to be just fine for me :)

Trading for Stastny was a waste... the trade I'm the most iffy about was trading Zetterberg and Hossa for Perry / Callahan. Obviously, Hossa had a great year.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Albert Congrats, I was in it for awhile, but my scoring dried up early...

I learned alot from this years league.. of course i say that every years and then make the same mistake in the draft anyway...

That being said, my son and I are likely to finish 3 & 4, so thats pretty impressive. Maybe next year 1 & 2....

Albert Congrats, I was in it for awhile, but my scoring dried up early...

I learned alot from this years league.. of course i say that every years and then make the same mistake in the draft anyway...

That being said, my son and I are likely to finish 3 & 4, so thats pretty impressive. Maybe next year 1 & 2....

Thanks.... a Redrum family dynasty? I better start my draft kit now.

I'm not sure about having any of the 'marginal' offensive categories for next year (PIM's, Hits, Blocks) but would rather have something else that's a non-offensive category besides faceoff wins. Especially since getting rid of all of those will exaggerate a goalie's importance once again.

Maybe I should just do away with PIM's and keep the other two. The other two are subjective, but at least they're positive stats. There aren't enough guys with good PIM's that are rosterable who you can really justify anymore at this point, and you need that less as a wild card if you keep hits and blocks.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm not sure about having any of the 'marginal' offensive categories for next year (PIM's, Hits, Blocks) but would rather have something else that's a non-offensive category besides faceoff wins. Especially since getting rid of all of those will exaggerate a goalie's importance once again.

Maybe I should just do away with PIM's and keep the other two. The other two are subjective, but at least they're positive stats. There aren't enough guys with good PIM's that are rosterable who you can really justify anymore at this point, and you need that less as a wild card if you keep hits and blocks.

I still like PIMs as a fantasy stat... it adds that hard nosed asset to your stats... higher PIMs typically mean more fighting, roughing, etc. Rewarding David Clarksons...

Sure you can try to pad the PIM with Cam Janssen's (when he plays)... but you'd be giving up valuable scoring opportunities to do so.

Yeah but of players with 100+ PIM's this year, how many of them are really rosterable, eight or nine maybe? And a lot of them would be useful even without PIM's, it just exaggerates their value while it penalizes a guy like Henrique who took less than 10 PIM's (including one fighting major) all season.

Conversely, making PIM's a negative value would give the Clarksons and Lucic's a negative value, even Corey Perry so that's not happening. So I'd almost rather take it out once and for all and avoid both extremes :P

Yeah but of players with 100+ PIM's this year, how many of them are really rosterable, eight or nine maybe? And a lot of them would be useful even without PIM's, it just exaggerates their value while it penalizes a guy like Henrique who took less than 10 PIM's (including one fighting major) all season.

Conversely, making PIM's a negative value would give the Clarksons and Lucic's a negative value, even Corey Perry so that's not happening. So I'd almost rather take it out once and for all and avoid both extremes :P

But I'd rather have a team full of Clarkson or Lucic on my team than of Henrique's. When you play hard nosed, you are going to get PIMs... So really it accurately gives more value to them than what a "softer" player with the same points has... there are only a handful of players like this (hard nosed with offensive skill), much like you only have a few elite snipers, etc.

If you want to dominate PIMs, load it with a bunch of goons with no hockey skill... good for you. You just gave up on all the other offensive stats though. It's a balancing game; and I don't see why that part needs to be "simplified", for lack of a better term. Much like how you need to consider +/- when taking on a high scorer with poor defense. Sure, he scored 70 pts, but he posted a -20. That's going to help/hurt you.

I am on the side of eliminating PIMs, to me its a negative stat for most players, stupid penalties lead to PP goals, and while i do agree that there are a few ( maybe 10) players that PIMS is a result of true hard work ( clarkson) its not enough to sway me, I say ditch the PIMs, and although i was orginally against hits and blocks I actually appreciate them now ans think they should stay.

I am on the side of eliminating PIMs, to me its a negative stat for most players, stupid penalties lead to PP goals, and while i do agree that there are a few ( maybe 10) players that PIMS is a result of true hard work ( clarkson) its not enough to sway me, I say ditch the PIMs, and although i was orginally against hits and blocks I actually appreciate them now ans think they should stay.

I agree completely that PIMs typically are negative when they happen... but how is the player playing that led to that point? Was he being chipper, fighting for a puck? Was he being lazy... Is he a goon?

There really is no benefit gooning up all season, as you will be hurting your team in the other categories. Someone will always put a Rinaldo, Boulton on their roster to get some PIMs, but they won't win the season with those moves... they are more likely to lose it making those moves.

Blocks are a defensive stat... Brooks Laich had the most blocks for a forward this season, 92, which ranked him 110th.

I guess hits will cover the toughness factor... but when I compare Clarkson (169 ) to Henrique (83)... there's a contrast, but not nearly as starkly as PIMs Clarkson- 138 Henrique- 7.