Which ex-Devil, right or wrong, do you just flat out miss?

Sharifijanov2099

For me, it's Dave Andreychuk. I know he didn't carve out his NHL career in NJ by any stretch of the imagination, and his march to 500 goals was virtually interminable, and the guy wasn't really a good skater, but I miss something about him. Really enjoyed him while he was on this team, and thought he was good for the organization. Heck, he went on to play a nice leadership role in TB. Dave was all-class. Gotta love a guy who can score that many goals in a career.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right: Stevens. Best player to wear a Devils uniform with the POSSIBLE exception of Marty, and that's in no way meant to be a slight to Marty. In a lesser sense, Nieds, but even though we've come nowhere near replacing him, he's in theory replaceable. Stevens is once in a lifetime.

Wrong: Madden. I know he's done, and if he was retired, I'd be thankful for his service and glad. I just don't like seeing my favorite Devil ever playing for anyone else. Doesn't mean I want him back, either.

Retired Player: Scott Stevens

Current Player: Brian Gionta

Same here. Stevens was the best player to ever wear a Devils jersey! Gionta there was just something about him, no matter what the score he just always had a little spark to him. I always remember him roughing it up with chara after the whistles and that just showed how much heart he really had. I'd love to see him on the Devils again.

Problem with picking Stevens to me is that he's not an "ex-Devil". He retired as a Devil. He's done some work with the organization. He's not an "ex-" in any form.

I think of an "ex-Devil" as a guy who's still playing, but was traded or left via free agency and is now employed by another franchise.

Going by that criteria, I do miss Rafalski, though I know it's wrong to. He was my favorite Devil for a while (he was amazing over the first three rounds of the '01 playoffs), but by the time he left I was as tired of seeing him shoot into opposing players' skates as much as anyone else. But there was just something about him I reallty liked, from his first day here...and the way he waited patiently for the whole Niedermayer scenario to play out impressed the hell out of me.

I'm gonna avoid the obvious (I think we all clearly miss Stevens/Gionta) and just go with players that for one reason or another I just really liked.

I always had a soft spot in my heart for Petr Sykora, as far as retired players go.

Current players? God help me, but Mike Rupp. There is something about the way he plays, his personality, the fact that we had the same somewhat rare heart condition...I really like Mike Rupp, and I'm really REALLY disappointed that he's a Ranger now.

Really? We miss Gionta? I recall his constant shooting to the goalie's chest protector being a constant source of annoyance around here.

Retired: Obvious

Current: GOMEZ

That's right I miss Scott Gomez, I miss his skating with the puck through the neutral zone and his passing. He was a great Devil, deal with it.