Replacing Doc in the Booth?

yankeesjetsfan

Can La Greca be a Play by play guy? I only know him to be a radio talkie and Kay's sidekick.

Mike

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind them letting Dano have a crack at it with Chico. I don't know that you would have a traditional color/play-by-play set up with those two. But I bet it would make for some interesting conversation.

Conversation, yes. You need someone to keep the telecast moving, though. I've never seen it work in any sport without a real deal commentator. There's an art to it, and, knowledgeable and likable as Chico and Dano are, they lack certain skills you need. Not saying the pure play by play guys are worth anything -- Joe Buck blows no matter what sport he does, and one of the reasons Doc was great was that he loved the sport, but a good booth has at least 1 trained professional rather than just a guy who loves the game.

Edited by mouse

Chico and Dano are both color guys, don't think they could keep up with/build suspense with their commentary. Daneyko is a great one I have to say. Hope he gets a chance to do color for NJ eventually.

I hope Thorne comes back. He has a great voice, and is pretty exciting to hear. His insight and detail in his game calling isn't on the level of Doc's but I'd still like him.

I wouldn't mind them letting Dano have a crack at it with Chico. I don't know that you would have a traditional color/play-by-play set up with those two. But I bet it would make for some interesting conversation.

the suicide rate in the fan base would sky rocket.

I don't know what I'm going to do without Doc calling the games. He's called just about every game I can remember watching on TV, minus Gary Thorne on ESPN, but his voice is the voice of the Devils for me and anybody else is just not going to sound right to me. I'm honestly quite distraught about this.

I think I'm the only person that wouldn't mind Steve Cangialosi to get the job. If not Steve, then I'd love for them to get Don La Greca for the job, but I doubt that happens.

I wouldn't hate Cangi either, but like someone else said the longer it goes without an announcement the more unlikely it's him. Then again we did name MacLean head coach after an entire offseason plus so who knows :P

Why do I get the feeling it'll be Matt Loughlin?

God, I hope not. He's gotten far worse since leaving TV.