Wade Belak found dead in his condo.

Xunolix

He supposedly took his own life.

It's looking like within 10 years fighting and hits to the head = immediate 10 game suspension. These deaths from depression supposedly brought on from brain trauma/CTE are disturbing me to no end.

Edit: Assuming there is a connection.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

He supposedly took his own life.

It's looking like within 10 years fighting and hits to the head = immediate 10 game suspension. These deaths from depression supposedly brought on from brain trauma/CTE are disturbing me to no end.

Edit: Assuming there is a connection.

I thought people said Rypien had been fighting depression his whole life?

It's a strange summer when more NHL players die then Pro Wrestlers ain't it??

Bet you good money that Bettman is going to use this and head trauma and the depression effects to try to take fighting out of the game, despite an 80 year plus history of this NOT happening before.......

It's a strange summer when more NHL players die then Pro Wrestlers ain't it??

Bet you good money that Bettman is going to use this and head trauma and the depression effects to try to take fighting out of the game, despite an 80 year plus history of this NOT happening before.......

That would be typical Bettman, and the typical reaction from the over-sensitive, over-pussified society we now live in.

That would be typical Bettman, and the typical reaction from the over-sensitive, over-pussified society we now live in.

And it should shock you NONE in the least.....this is the same time and place we live in where a wide receiver puts on football pads goes over the middle to catch a pass KNOWS the hit is coming but is still called "DEFENSE-LESS"......

Great puck daddy article on this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/The-Faustian-Bargain-of-the-NHL-fighter?urn=nhl-wp11585#remaining-content

In essence, the chain reaction goes like this:

- These men fight to be known.

- We know these men because they fight.

- We forget them when they stop fighting.

- These men lose themselves when they're no longer known.

Can we please not turn a RIP thread into a Bettman bashing thread, especially one with hypotheticals and false facts.

The fact is 3 fighters have died this off-season. Two have apparently committed suicide. The other was depressed and was addicted to pain killers. Let's just mourn the death of a really good person (from everything we know) before we jump to things.

And it should shock you NONE in the least.....this is the same time and place we live in where a wide receiver puts on football pads goes over the middle to catch a pass KNOWS the hit is coming but is still called "DEFENSE-LESS"......

Very true, and I agree with you 100 % about the defenseless receiver thing. But I'll leave it at that- as DR said above, we should keep this thread to remembering Belak and not bashing Bettman.

In essence, the chain reaction goes like this:

- These men fight to be known.

- We know these men because they fight.

- We forget them when they stop fighting.

- These men lose themselves when they're no longer known.

This is exactly what I was thinking as well. I couldn't articulate it and I didn't want to take away from the brain injury impact either. I think the brain trauma impact is a substantial contributing factor - not the SOLE factor however. Lots of rock stars show the same sort of self-destructive behavior and that's not due to regular on-the-job brain trauma. It's some ego-feeding I dont know inferiority complex thing -- I dont understand it :noclue:

Edited by Pepperkorn

I agree, I was just airing a concern about this becoming a bit too common in fighter types, and it didn't seem new topic worthy....so was the only real place to air a concern from these troubling incidents happening so soon after the other.....