Lets talk 2012.

ghdi

Rubio is a nut? Why do you say that?

Here is recent rhetoric from Sen Rubio regarding Roe v Wade:

“This is an issue that, especially for those that enter the public arena and refuse to leave our faith behind, speaks to more than just our politics. It speaks to what we want to do with the opportunity we have been given in our life, to serve and to glorify our Creator.”

“At the end of the day our nation can never truly become what it fully was intended to be unless it deals with this issue squarely. America cannot truly fulfill its destiny unless this issue is resolved. It’s that important.”

“Virtually every faith condemns the practice of abortion, recognizes that life is a gift from the Creator and compels followers to believe that as well, as a basic tenet of their faith"

Destiny? Compelling belief? Gift's from a creator? This is cult talk and this is the central theme to his political existence? No thank you.

While I am pro choice, I can understand the non-religious basis for being pro-life. Where does a human being's consciousness begin? I don't have the answer. It is something that one side cannot win over the other in a debate. We can agree to disagree but that doesn't mean your belief trumps mine.

I know a lot of people are saying he will try to shore up his "conservative credentials" with a more right wing republican VP but I'm not so sure. Let's face it republicans are going to try and vote out Obama if he was running against a shoe so I don't think he needs more help rallying up that wing. I think it would be most helpful for him in the general election to pick another moderate and try to argue for a "center-right" track.

We seem to agree. That meets our quota in 2012 real early in the year, Squish.

Obama's rout was probably mostly due to moderates being tired of the Republican Party under Bush's leadership ... but I wonder how many conservatives stayed home. It probably was a miniscule factor compared with independents' disgust with the Bush administration.

It was a record turnout. Liberals tend to be the most apathetic voters because of how much they rely on minorities and younger voters. The 2008 election shattered every single turnout record ever for almost every demographic including self-described "moderates" or "independents".

We wont get that level of turnout this time around because its an incumbent election unless something happens to fire it up. I cant see another record turnout like 04 or 08 which were very nasty campaigns. I dont think Romney/Obama will get nearly as nasty as 04, and 08 was nothing like 04.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone really think this guy is awesome?

I've hated him for YEARS and this is a nightmare for me...that a majority ANYWHERE would consider this guy. Even PA dumped his ass after giving him the chance to represent them.

I've just heard a lot of people say they like him mostly because they dont like Romney. THose of you who feel that way... please find objective articles about his accomplishments. This isn't objective -- but thing of it is... he was such a monumental failure that it's very difficult to find out simply the facts on the guy. You either get total fiction from his supporters or vilification and putting words into his mouth from his detractors.

Thing of it is --- you don't need to vilify him. If people could just put out what he says without the negative spin I think people would see what a wackjob he is. It's really hard though because even the unbiased sounds biased he's that wacked out....

Does anyone really think this guy is awesome?

I've hated him for YEARS and this is a nightmare for me...that a majority ANYWHERE would consider this guy. Even PA dumped his ass after giving him the chance to represent them.

I've just heard a lot of people say they like him mostly because they dont like Romney. THose of you who feel that way... please find objective articles about his accomplishments. This isn't objective -- but thing of it is... he was such a monumental failure that it's very difficult to find out simply the facts on the guy. You either get total fiction from his supporters or vilification and putting words into his mouth from his detractors.

Thing of it is --- you don't need to vilify him. If people could just put out what he says without the negative spin I think people would see what a wackjob he is. It's really hard though because even the unbiased sounds biased he's that wacked out....

First, thanks for the nice words about my wedding.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of Santorum and will definitely not and never vote for him. Unfortunately, however, as with most things political, there is a lot of hysteria about the guy. That he wants a government ban on contraception and wants to criminalize premarital sex and so forth. He has said no such thing. Here's a pretty good summary.

I find myself in a strange position. I don't really care for any of the candidates for President, but I don't see the world ending if any of them are elected. Except maybe Ron Paul. Although he has many good ideas, his ideal solution to effectively abolish the federal reserve is very loony and would really destroy the economy.

Rick Santorum has my vote, and I believe he's a better candidate than Romney. He's a better conservative and I like his chances better against Obama, who I think would effectively paint Romney as an out-of-touch rich guy. No matter who gets it, Obama is going to be very difficult to beat.

Jerry -- tell me about Santorum.

Why are you voting for him. If it's just to beat Obama... that's insane. Dare I say it's irresponsible. What does Rick Santorum stand for that you believe? What about his debating do you agree with?

What I'd like to know is how does Santorum feel about requiring religious companies to offer healthcare for birth control?

He helped drafted the Workplace Religious Freedom Act with John Kerry - which means companies have to make accommodations for peoples religious practices. Will he then contrarily say that employees must bow to their employers religious affiliation?

How will he reconcile that? It sounds like he wants to give special privilege to the "faithful" ? Do you think that's a good thing?

What does conservative mean to you? Banning abortion and outlawing birth control? Teaching creationism in school as science?

Edited by Pepperkorn

NIce link Daniel. I am reaching that conclusion now as well. The only ACTION the man has taken appears to just be pretty unilateral non-partisan oddly enough.

The weird thing is that he talks. and talks and TALKS AND TALKS... and he says inappropriate things AND his actions actually do not support his conservative agenda. I think Obama can mop the floor with the guy.

I actually only recently freaked out and honestly took a look at what he stands for (recently being this week :) )I have been appalled by HOW he says what he stands for, but his actiosn aren't that awful. And I get the true gist of what he says and it's not so bad... but HOW he says it. A President is supposed to be diplomatic. This dude is a MORON! He's worse than Romney and Romney is a pretty big moron when it comes to public speaking. I do liek all he did for MA

How do you trust a guy that says all that stupid stuff?

I would vote for Santorum because I believe he is the better candidate over Romney and Obama. He is for supply-side economics, a reduced corporate tax rate and the importance of making cuts to entitlement programs. I believe he will fight harder than Romney to repeal Obamacare. He will also do a better job than Romney differentiating himself from Obama.

However, I would like to hear more from the candidates about how they plan to reduce the size of government and foster growth.

I would vote for Santorum because I believe he is the better candidate over Romney and Obama. He is for supply-side economics, a reduced corporate tax rate and the importance of making cuts to entitlement programs. I believe he will fight harder than Romney to repeal Obamacare. He will also do a better job than Romney differentiating himself from Obama.

However, I would like to hear more from the candidates about how they plan to reduce the size of government and foster growth.

Although we'll never find out since Obama will get another term, in the alternative universe where Santorum, Gingrich or Romney wins the election, there will be no return to supply-side economics, to the extent that we were ever there in the first place, the corporate tax rate will not go down and there will be no real cuts to entitlement programs. And it wouldn't be because of Democratic opposition, it would actually be for lack of trying.

I also note that Obama has expressed support for reducing the corporate tax rate, subject though, to a bogus hope that there will be some sort of global minimum corporate tax.

Why do people worry about Social Issues, when the economy is in the toilet. Gas Prices are at record highs, our debt is crazy, the budget just worked on by the president does not ever balance, and more and more people every year are on food stamps. Yet the left wants to make this election on contraception, gay marriage and then the tried and true class warfare.

Why do people worry about Social Issues, when the economy is in the toilet. Gas Prices are at record highs, our debt is crazy, the budget just worked on by the president does not ever balance, and more and more people every year are on food stamps. Yet the left wants to make this election on contraception, gay marriage and then the tried and true class warfare.

Yeah, I think you answered your own question! The left needs to obfuscate. They can't run on economic policy, that's for sure.

Yeah, I think you answered your own question! The left needs to obfuscate. They can't run on economic policy, that's for sure.

And Republicans can't run on social issues. Hopefully someday we get a viable choice that actually can run on both.

Edited by devilsfan26

For me social issues give a clearer insight into how a candidates mind works and who he will appoint to work under him.

The last sincere vote I placed was for George HW Bush.

Economic issues are obfuscated by both parties SO THOROUGHLY that you can't believe one word of what anyone says. If they want to get elected they will suck whatever ass they have to, which means they are pwned. Pwners generally run their business with disregard of social issues and knowing loopholes to avoid economic responsibility. Social issues I see and understand economics I do not fully understand and know damm well I have ZERO control over. If a company is socially responsible I generally feel more confident they'll be economically responsible/honorable. ALTHOUGH -- I have always in the past felt that the socially responsible were just bullsh!tters who know the difference between right and wrong and willfully ignore their virtuous impulses. That used to be the Democrats. Now it's more obviously the Republicans.

And the Republicans can? Folly.

Obama is going to walk into a second term. The right is "so fired up" about getting him out that they cant pick between a flip-flopping panderer in every sense and a guy who lost his Senate seat by almost 1 MILLION votes. Obama's poll numbers are going up, his approval rating has gone up, its looking like Reagan/Mondale at this point, with the right in Mondale's seat.

I have quite a few right wing leaning friends/family and not one of them are fired up about this election. "Romney isnt a conservative" "Santorum is a wacko". Ad nauseam.

It might have been a factor, but conservatives' strong dislike for John McCain might have been, too. I wonder how many conservatives just stayed home in 2008.

I only voted for McCain because a true conservative was on the ticket in '08. I voted for her.

I only voted for McCain because a true conservative was on the ticket in '08. I voted for her.

I have grown to like Sarah Palin very much. The conservatives need fighters, and she is one. I am starting to see feistiness from Rick Santorum, and that is good. Stay away from talking about contraception, Rick. It's a trap.

Gas prices are not at record highs in fact they are still 50 cents less then the actual high in 2007. To blame the president Bush or his policies for that would be silly, one man does not a world economy make. And really, looking at the historical graph we are just about in line with where prices should be if we didn't have the 2008 recession, link. Gas prices, just like all commodities go up over time.

Likewise out debt needs to be looked at with context. Our revenues, expenditures and deficits will almost always be record setting year after year because of inflation, it doesn't really mean its any more out of control then its been over the last 60 years. Also consider every 1st world nation runs a high debt. Maybe that's a long term recipe for disaster but more likely its people just running around flailing their arms trying to make an issue out of something they don't really care to fully understand.

Oh and I love the gem about not balancing the budget this year, as if that's even remotely possible. Sheesh just look at the numbers rather then spew out talking points, a balanced budget for the last few years and the next few to come

Can. Not. Be. Done.

Look at the numbers before trying to pretend it could.

Edited by squishyx

I have grown to like Sarah Palin very much. The conservatives need fighters, and she is one. I am starting to see feistiness from Rick Santorum, and that is good. Stay away from talking about contraception, Rick. It's a trap.

I wonder if Santorum thinks women should even be allowed to be president, you know, since men get so distracted by their intrinsic nature to protect women that they can't do their job properly.

Edited by squishyx

Gas is at an all time high for this time of year. I believe gas prices are always higher in the summer?

Maybe, but I would wager a guess that any record setting gas prices for jan-march has more to do with the rumblings in the middle east and not something any administration could heavily influence.

The President has missed his own budget target for deficit, so that's a problem, even if he wasn't aiming for balanced.

And Obama deserves to be dinged for that, It seems pretty rare to see people complaining about the things they should actually be complaining about.

I wonder if Santorum thinks women should even be allowed to be president, you know, since men get so distracted by their intrinsic nature to protect women that they can't do their job properly.

If your point is that we don't need Rick Santorum telling us what's best for women (or anybody, for that matter), I agree 100%.

I will add that I admire Santorum's campaigning on the importance of strong families. It's a message not often heard.

I figured out why I think republicans have lost credibility.

I always hated the way Democrats used social services as a smoke screen and tool to corral rather shallow thinking constituents. Now Republicans have REALLY taken up the evangelist christian flag in that same condescending insincere way. It's a single party system. Neither has ANY credibility whatsoever and none is better than the other.

I really do have to excuse myself from the conversation because both sides are so wrong and I think we all know it. You all are recreationally bitching over non-issues. I guess it beats being apathetically despondent over the situation. But I'll go for the apathy for the time being -- at least it's honest.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.