Crosby Press Conference

Quinn01

Sidney Crosby will be holding a press conference tomorrow at noon. There is speculation that he will be either delaying his return or announcing his retirement.

When the Pittsburgh Penguins hold a 12:30 p.m. media availability, the media usually finds out about it that morning.

But this is Sidney Crosby (notes) we're talking about here, and he's talking for the first time in months about his concussion rehab and future in the NHL at CONSOL Energy Center on Wednesday; hence, the announcement was made over 24 hours earlier than usual to accommodate traveling media, and conjecture about what he's going to say has been overwhelming.

We asked the Penguins if they would squash retirement speculation on the record; they declined, saying they wouldn't confirm nor deny anything about the nature of the press conference.

We asked if Crosby was headed to Manhattan for the NHL's media tour after this presser. The Penguins confirmed he was, but declined to specify where he was traveling after that (i.e. back home or back to Pittsburgh).

What we know: Crosby hasn't, to this point, been cleared for contact since hits from David Steckel and Victor Hedman (notes) ended his season in January. Rob Rossi of the Tribune-Review passed along that "Crosby backed off offseason workouts 3 weeks ago after symptoms returned."

Since the Penguins are inviting speculation, let's speculate: Crosby's presser will likely detail his summer of recovery and setbacks. It will touch on the NHL's efforts to police the types of hits that Crosby suffered via a revamped Rule 48.

He could announce he'll miss the start of training camp -- something that wouldn't surprise anyone. He may announce he'll miss the start of the regular season. The doomsday scenario for hockey fans: He's taking a year away from the NHL to reconsider his health and his career, perhaps even on the advice of his family. ( He's due $16 million through 2013 ; he's not retiring.)

Via Puckdaddy.

What do you all think is coming tomorrow during the press conference? I personally dont see him announcing his retirement but possibly announcing that he will need more time and fans should not hold their breath for his return anytime soon.

Edited by Quinn01

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be terrible. As much as I can't stand him, he's a generational talent and him playing is great for the game. It'll be a while before someone that good shows up again.

Agreed. I think most of us here have various levels of dislike for the little punk, but a premature retirement on Crosby's part would be devastating to the NHL. Heck, on its own it would be pretty bad, but after the summer the NHL has had, the last thing the league needs is the permanent or even extended temporary loss of one of its superstars.

It would be terrible. As much as I can't stand him, he's a generational talent and him playing is great for the game. It'll be a while before someone that good shows up again.

There already is someone like that, in fact even better, his name Alexander Ovechkin. Unless your a fan of just scoring, let me introduce you to Steven Stamkos.

There already is someone like that, in fact even better, his name Alexander Ovechkin. Unless your a fan of just scoring, let me introduce you to Steven Stamkos.

Neither of them have the all-around game of Crosby. I do find Ovechkin more entertaining, but Crosby as much as I can't stand him, is probably the best player in the world when healthy.

I agree. I respect him greatly as a player. He has a great amount of talent. It would be a shame to see him bow out at this point in his career. Even though he isnt a Devil, I really want to see where his career goes in the future.

really all around? give me an occurrence in which Crosby made a legal, no bs, highlight reel hit.

That is the one nod I give Ovechkin when it comes to comparison.

Edited by Quinn01

I'd be shocked if he was retiring for the reason triumph noted earlier in the thread. I bet this is just to give an update on his status.

I agree man. I absolutely can't stand the guy on the ice because of how great he is and the whining (though he has toned that down a lot). I really feel for him since concussions are no joke. Hopefully this doesn't have a horrendous impact on the rest of his life, never fun to see someone suffer life altering injuries from something that in the end is just a game. Best of luck to him in his recovery!

Totally agree. What a horrible way to end a career. I don't think he will be retiring.

Edited by mrthemike

If Marc Savard is still technically "trying" to comeback after all the beatings he's taken at his age (and I get that he's probably done) - than there is NO WAY Crosby's calling after one hit and one half of a season.

He'll update his progress, petition for headshot awareness and accountability, definately miss pre-season/camp/season start - and then tell us he's taking it day by day.

The very worst is he'll take a year off - and that will be detrimental to the NHL.

Edited by DevilinLA

I'd be shocked if he was retiring for the reason triumph noted earlier in the thread. I bet this is just to give an update on his status.

I really feel for him since concussions are no joke. Hopefully this doesn't have a horrendous impact on the rest of his life, never fun to see someone suffer life altering injuries from something that in the end is just a game. Best of luck to him in his recovery!

Hopefully he puts life ahead of hockey...he could take a season or half season off but worst thing would be to put himself in a drak room because he couldn't give up the game...the nhl will be just fine without him...pitt on the other hand would lose the elite level status especially considering the condition of malkin's knee's

really all around? give me an occurrence in which Crosby made a legal, no bs, highlight reel hit.

Hitting is great, and I already said Ovechkin is more entertaining and is probably the best natural scorer in the league, but Crosby is still a better all-around player. He can score, pass, take faceoffs, and is a proven winner and leader. He's led 2 teams to the finals. Ovechkin has still yet to prove that he can be a team guy. His teams are notorious for folding in the playoffs. They showed absolutely no heart in the second round this year.

And I say all this while admitting I like Ovechkin more.

Hitting is great, and I already said Ovechkin is more entertaining and is probably the best natural scorer in the league, but Crosby is still a better all-around player. He can score, pass, take faceoffs, and is a proven winner and leader. He's led 2 teams to the finals. Ovechkin has still yet to prove that he can be a team guy. His teams are notorious for folding in the playoffs. They showed absolutely no heart in the second round this year.

And I say all this while admitting I like Ovechkin more.

I really have to agree with this statement. Ovechkin clearly is a better stick handler and put the puck where ever it is he wants, but I still feel that Crosby is a better rounded player. While there is no I in team and one player can not solely bring a team to the cup, Crosby just seems to fill the Captain spot more so then Ovechkin does. If we are talking entertainment, Ovechkin is the one to watch (Example, All Star Game best shot) but if we are talking the most recent player that can represent the sport in all levels, Crosby comes to my mind.

If he's not retiring why call a press conference?

Hopefully it's just to say that he has progress but he's taking things slow and may not be ready for the beginning of the season. This is a huge story in Canada and TSN has nearly daily updates on it, so he may be holding a press conference to explain whats going on in more detail. I think it'll take a lot more for him to retire. He'd sit out a year or more before deciding to hang them up.

While these head injuries are tough to call, I just don't see how he could be announcing his retirement, when all of this could clear up in a few more months. Unless of course he has some information from his doctors that we don't know about. I guess the mystery will be cleared up tommorrow at noon.