Devils: Lamoriello To Meet With Disgruntled Danton

Diablo

http://www.app.com/app2001/story/0,21133,6...,629890,00.html

By CHRIS BALDWIN

STAFF WRITER

DULUTH, Ga. -- Tony Soprano isn't the only one who holds "sit-downs."

General manager Lou Lamoriello and disgruntled Devil Mike Danton planned a "sit-down" to discuss the emotional rookie's suddenly cloudy future with the hockey team, according to Danton's agent, David Frost.

"I'm hoping it gets resolved by morning," Frost said last night from his office. "Lou is flying in for the 'sit-down' and I'm hoping he and Mike can come up with a solution before I have to get involved."

Frost is confident it won't get to the point where he needs to involve himself. That point, Frost said, will come if it's decided Danton can't play for coach Pat Burns and therefore must be traded.

"This is a little blip -- something that only needs to be talked out within the framework of the team -- and I'm hoping it's handled that way," Frost said.

This little blip is threatening to turn into a major headache. It started when Danton went off on Saturday night about being scratched in the Carolina game, charging among other things that he felt like he was being punished after playing hard. Three days later, with no end to the Danton Drama in sight, the meeting was arranged.

All this hovers over the well-rested Devils' chance to fatten their record against the winless Thrashers tonight.

While a "sit-down" with Lamoriello hardly seems like a pleasant prospect, Frost insisted it's what Danton wanted all along.

"Lou and Mike are a lot alike," Frost said. "They're both fiery, competitive guys who only want to win. I think that's why Lou really values Mike and the things he can do."

After the Devils' practice yesterday, Danton was anything but relaxed about the situation. When approached, Danton started shouting before a question could be asked.

"I have nothing to say!" Danton said. "Nothing to say. Ask the coach. Go talk to the coach if you want."

The coach appeared more amused than anything by the rambunctious rebel making noise in his locker room.

"I don't worry about that stuff," Burns said. "I've been around too long to be worried about a 22-year-old getting upset at the coach. If I have to worry about that I might as well just get out (of coaching) and do something else."

Some of Danton's teammates are worrying about the 22-year-old, who spent all of last season butting heads with Lamoriello. When Danton flew to California to get a second medical opinion on an abdominal injury rather than report to Albany, where the Devils assigned him for rehab in the fall of 2001, Lamoriello suspended him. That touched off a war of words, including Danton's "I'm not drinking Lou's Kool-Aid" line.

Now, just four games into this season, there's the "sit-down."

"As a young kid you can get caught up in the emotions of everything," 18-year NHL veteran Ken Daneyko said. "You don't realize that in an 82-game schedule there are going to be nights you're out of the lineup whether you like it or not.

"The coach and the organization's looking at the big picture, not just you. Mike just has to understand it's nothing personal."

Frost said Danton's been reassured by "the support of his teammates and the assistant coaches."

Burns benched Danton -- the fourth-line center -- on Saturday because he wanted to get Steve Guolla some game action before he got too rusty. Daneyko was also a healthy scratch that night.

Frost said he'd be "surprised" if Danton wasn't in tonight's lineup and does not expect a fine or other punishment.

"I don't see how they could," Frost said. "Mike just spoke his mind. Maybe he was a little fiery in his comments, but that's who Mike Danton is. He is the same off the ice as he is on. Mike just wants to have some things clarified, to clear the air."

I can't see that Lou will put up with this or spend anymore time with this.

Hopefully Danton will get a few more good games in and he can be traded for value.

I like his play, but he doesn't have the "skins on the wall" like a vet does........and really should just shut the F up.

I really like Danton....and who knows, maybe we could have used him vs. the Canes. But man...what a baby!! Did he expect to play every night?? I really want to give this guy a chance, i think he's a big help to this team, but if he is gonna make a big stink over every time he gets scratched he may be better off on another team.

BUT....for now, i'd still like to see if we can work things out with him.

GO DEVILS!!!

I like Danton a lot as well, I just don't think he realizes how it makes him look when he complains to the press like this. I like the fact that he has a strong desire to play everynight however, there are right and wrong ways of handling yourself. It just appears he needs to get a bit more mature and somehow learn to be a professional.

Danton needs to lose that "agent." Frost is a real jerk blabbing to the press like this - it's just so incredibly irresponsible. Can't Danton see how far offbase this guy is? If this nonsense keeps up, no one is going to want to touch this kid with a ten foot pole. Sure the Devils lose a little but the big loser in the end is only Danton.

While I think he's old enough to know better I nonetheless won't blame Danton for this crap -- I heap it all on Frost's doorstep - what a jackass! :angry:

Damn, I kinda liked this kid, Oh well, ......good luck in your future endeavors, and next time keep your mouth shut.

Chris

Ps- I agree Frost should also keep his mouth shut, but Danton should have his head examined questioning in the media his coaches decisions, he's 22, not 12.

"I'm hoping it gets resolved by morning," Frost said last night from his office. "Lou is flying in for the 'sit-down' and I'm hoping he and Mike can come up with a solution before I have to get involved."

Excuse me, but isn't he already involved? By his own doing I might add.

Not sure who's dumber - Jefferton or Frost. Just what a big mouth player needs - a bigger mouth agent. Perfect.

I love how Frost is making this sound like Lou is flying in just to deal with Danton. He was joining the team Tuesday afternoon anyway. Sounds like just another attempt to make Danton sound more important than he is. Man, Mike & his agent are a pain in the butt.

So NJ, you think it's ok for a rookie who has played about 3 whole games in the NHL to publicly bitch about anything, especially about ice time and a coach's decision?

Once again, he is a rookie, scrub, low-man on the totem pole, last-in-first-out, etc... If coach says he sits, he sits. If coach says he plays, he plays. His job is to play when called upon and that's it. If a rookie has zero leverage in anything, he had less-than zero coming in because of his immature antics last season. He needs to learn to pay his dues before he makes any demands on anyone. Immaturity & classless behaviour aren't going to get him very far in this world.

NJay, most of us would rather see him in the line-up. Most of us actually appreciate the fact that he hates being scratched, it shows he cares.

The problem is that he's behaving like a 5-year-old & he & his agent feel that taking his tantrum to the press is an acceptable reaction. No matter how upset you are, this is not the way to handle it, and the fact that neither he nor his agent understand you CAN'T handle it this way is a real problem.

In the adult world, you don't do this. Maybe some pro athletes think they can get away with it, but not in this sport, on this team, in his position. He thinks he is SO important that he has a right to whine like a child when he doesn't like something, spout off to the press and make a spectacle of himself (or, as Kelly Bundy once said, "make a testicle of himself" - either one applies here). He's so much more important than any of his teammates or the coach, or the GM, that he act this way...no thanks.

He's a punk, that is the way he operates things. I would be pissed as sh!t too if I scored a very important goal in a game and then get benched 2 games later when my line partners have done nothing more than sh1t.

You give him all this good feelings about making the team saying you worked ur ass off training camp and u win the final spot on the team and then 3 games into the season you take away his spot when he did nothing wrong?!?!

Yup that's fair....if you lack common sense...

This kid deserves his spot as much as Friesen does, he hasn't done sh1t yet he is rewarded RW on the first line.

Put punkass in the lineup, he has what players lack, ENERGY!!

Does anyone else think it's pathetic that Lou has to have a "sit-down" with JefferDanton because he was scratched ONE game? Punkass is way too high maintenance with his bitching and moaning :P . GET A LIFE.

Pretty soon no NHL team will want his sorry ass.

Fair?

So it's fair to bench Turner Stevenson, a player who's proven he can play in this league, a 6 or 7 year veteran, for a few bad games? Fair to bench Friesen, who's done the same?

When you prove you can play in this league, that's when you play 82 games unless you're hurt.

How do you prove you can play? Not only by proving it on the ice, but by shutting up when things like this happen. Waiting for your chance.

Sergei Brylin endured this kind of thing for years, and he got his chance to prove he can play, and now he's in the lineup every night. Even in 99, Brylin was not an everyday player. That's almost unthinkable now.

Danton has what other players lack, the ability to whine and kvetch about nothing. Shut up and play.

Sergei Brylin endured this kind of thing for years, and he got his chance to prove he can play, and now he's in the lineup every night. Even in 99, Brylin was not an everyday player. That's almost unthinkable now.

AND I can't remember a single time that Brylin ever complained about not playing, even when he'd sit for bunches of games at a time!!!! (unfairly, too, imo... I could not comprehend why coaches like Lemaire and Ftorek had something against playing him). Yet Punkass is griping after ONE game during one season, forget many games over several seasons!!!!!!!!!!

That is why I love Brylin - works hard, never whines, does what he's told!

You give him all this good feelings about making the team saying you worked ur ass off training camp and u win the final spot on the team and then 3 games into the season you take away his spot when he did nothing wrong?!?!

Yup that's fair....if you lack common sense...

NJ, that's just the point. That's not HIS spot. He's one memeber of a team. He is basically an extra ROOKIE forward who will rotate in an put of the lineup with the other extra forward. That's how it works.

He is a cog in the machine called the NJ Devils, and if it squeaks too much, Lou is going to just replace the cog because it's easier than wasting time & energy & patience on trying to get the squeaking to stop.

We all have to pay our dues at work in the beginning. That's how it works.

NJay, remind me never to hire you. You might be eager to do well, but apparently you also believe it's OK to whine in the company newsletter after one week of work because you think something isn't completely fair.

It IS his spot because he worked his ass off all of training camp to DESERVE that spot. He BEAT out Salo, BERGY, and Guolla. Guolla isn't anywhere near as energic (who however u spell that) and just isn't as dedicated. When I say dedicated does Guolla go to Jimbo and ask him what he did wrong or take time to listen to what Jimbo says? The answer is No. Danton worked his god damn ass off and they throw him in the trash after 3 games, and in those 3 games he scored a very important goal and drew penalties and was just one huge pain in the ass to the other team, something Turner tries to do but FAILS MISERABLE. I'm sorry but you people always ask for Claude back and miss we had a player like him...well you have a freaken fantastic Claude type kid right in front of you but you are dismissing him like he is not worthy enough for all of u.

This kid isn't perfect, we alllll know that but the question is...Who is perfect???

Check this scenerio out...

Let's say you work at like Toys R Us (which is where I work haha) and you start out as a janitor. You are doing a great job and you are promoted to like assistant manager (this is actually a true story, guy started as a janitor and became an assistant manager) and then after doing great things as ass. manager for the first 3 days you've had that title, the manager walks into your new office and throws the janitor uniform on your desk and says "You are done here, get back to where you belong"....

Now if that wouldn't piss u off then you are...1...Lying to me or...2....insanely STUPID.

Kid had a right to be upset.

Give him HIS spot back.