Devils give Peter Sykora and Anton Stralman tryout

Derlique

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a stats dude and looking at the past few years of Sykoras stats, for an older dude hes still putting up the numbers, although he has been all over the place the last few years.

A lot of it has to do with he is a pretty fragile player.

Also hear rumors since even the Devils days that he kinda sticks to himself and is not exactly a "team" minded guy. But again that is just rumors. He put up 25 goals in 76 games in 08-09 when the Pens won, but they decided not to play him much at all in the playoffs. Also there was that whole Twitter thing with his agent back when he was on the Wild a couple seasons back.

A lot of it has to do with he is a pretty fragile player.

Also hear rumors since even the Devils days that he kinda sticks to himself and is not exactly a "team" minded guy. But again that is just rumors. He put up 25 goals in 76 games in 08-09 when the Pens won, but they decided not to play him much at all in the playoffs. Also there was that whole Twitter thing with his agent back when he was on the Wild a couple seasons back.

Yeah I hear you. I dont mind seeing players that once had a history but I dont agree with signing them simply on that basis.

Maybe he wants his number retired..... :giggle:

Yeah I hear you. I dont mind seeing players that once had a history but I dont agree with signing them simply on that basis.

Maybe he wants his number retired..... :giggle:

Could be for that basis. I think if Sykora makes the team on opening night, it will because one of our younger players lost the spot, not because of Sykora winning the spot.

But then again this team has a fetish for returning players way past their prime....

Sykora and Stralman combined have the toughness of Mattias Tedenby at this point. Stralman had a good season in '09-'10 essentially as the Jackets' featured offensive-minded D-man, but last season saw him fall down the depth chart and battle injuries. I don't recall him being particularly quick...I have to think that unless the Devils' depth appears paper-thin all of a sudden (a.k.a. Taormina and Larsson both look lost), Stralman takes a walk.

Sykora? Yikes, no thanks.

Steve Bernier is interesting. I figured he was out of the Devils' plans when he wasn't signed months ago, always thought he could be a good plug for the team if they need someone with more experience instead of young kids. This year's Adam Mair.

Sykora and Stralman combined have the toughness of Mattias Tedenby at this point. Stralman had a good season in '09-'10 essentially as the Jackets' featured offensive-minded D-man, but last season saw him fall down the depth chart and battle injuries. I don't recall him being particularly quick...I have to think that unless the Devils' depth appears paper-thin all of a sudden (a.k.a. Taormina and Larsson both look lost), Stralman takes a walk.

Sykora? Yikes, no thanks.

Steve Bernier is interesting. I figured he was out of the Devils' plans when he wasn't signed months ago, always thought he could be a good plug for the team if they need someone with more experience instead of young kids. This year's Adam Mair.

I think Bernier has the best shot at making the team out of all the names listed this year.

if stralman can regain 09-10 form, this could be a pretty big move

Maybe training camp will change my mind, but I'm not too optimistic considering the number of teams that could use help on defense and Stralman made it to this point without a concrete offer.

Someone with more knowledge than me on this subject - Stralman would still have to go through waivers to get called up if he was on a 2-way deal, correct?

Maybe training camp will change my mind, but I'm not too optimistic considering the number of teams that could use help on defense and Stralman made it to this point without a concrete offer.

Someone with more knowledge than me on this subject - Stralman would still have to go through waivers to get called up if he was on a 2-way deal, correct?

well if he makes the squad, he could help the pp

Tallinder-Larsson

Volchenkov-Stralman

Fayne-Greene

Tao

well if he makes the squad, he could help the pp

Tallinder-Larsson

Volchenkov-Stralman

Fayne-Greene

Tao

I agree about Bernier and think he would be the best fit out of the lot. In these lines, I'm assuming Salvador isnt healthy enough to play, but they have also paid Fraser and gave him a 1-way deal, So that may bump either Fayne or Tao to Albany. Between the 2 I think actually Fayne is the one sent down.