Devils give Peter Sykora and Anton Stralman tryout

Derlique

Boulton - Steckel - Bernier does not look bad indeed. I feel it would be one of the better cycling 4th lines in the NHL. Hell Bernier could even plug into 2nd PP unit in front ala Clarkson.

I saw him play during his extremely brief stint in Buffalo and occasionally the rare Vancouver game I caught. He'll get to the dirty areas and not get shoved out as easily as some.

I look forward to at least seeing him in game action next Friday.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about Bernier and think he would be the best fit out of the lot. In these lines, I'm assuming Salvador isnt healthy enough to play, but they have also paid Fraser and gave him a 1-way deal, So that may bump either Fayne or Tao to Albany. Between the 2 I think actually Fayne is the one sent down.

I'll take Fayne over Fraser any day. Also, just because he got a one-way doesn't mean he needs to be in the NHL.

why dont people realize how good Fayne was last year? He was very consistent all year. He is definitely ahead of Taormina on our depth chart

I think Fayne is ahead of Taormina simply because Tao sat out last year. I still think Taormina is a strong strong defender and I cant wait to see him play this season. Hes one of the players I am really hoping makes the cut.

I think Fayne is ahead of Taormina simply because Tao sat out last year. I still think Taormina is a strong strong defender and I cant wait to see him play this season. Hes one of the players I am really hoping makes the cut.

who sits out? Volchenkov, Greene and Tallinder are locks.

Fayne

Larsson

Taormina

Salvador

Stralman

Fraser (not really, but still another body)

Urbom

all the guys above are fighting for the final spots

who sits out? Volchenkov, Greene and Tallinder are locks.

Fayne

Larsson

Taormina

Salvador

Stralman

Fraser (not really, but still another body)

Urbom

all the guys above are fighting for the final spots

Urbom, Stralman, Fraser, and Salvador (He needs to be 100%. If hes anything less hes stuffed away). So really Id say its between Fayne, Taormina and Larsson.

All in all, its always better to be having this conversation of who will get the spot rather then saying "ah sh!t hes in the lineup and is the best we have?"

Edited by Quinn01

Urbom, Stralman, Fraser, and Salvador (He needs to be 100%. If hes anything less hes stuffed away). So really Id say its between Fayne, Taormina and Larsson.

All in all, its always better to be having this conversation of who will get the spot rather then saying "ah sh!t hes in the lineup and is the best we have?"

thats a lot of inexperience. they have >82 games between the three of them

Thinking about this, Steckel Boulton and Bernier are all poor corsi players when getting 10 minutes or more a game. If they are limited to 7 minutes a game against 4th line only with probably a 47% zone start, I think our 4th line can have an effective year.

Looking at Stralman it looks as if he was very unlucky last year in terms of stats. He had a positive corsi, 2nd best on the team. His PDO of 967 shows he could have had a little more luck. The season before he had the best corsi on the team in terms of defensmen and his PDO was once again 968. (may show that he is giving up good scoring chances).

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

If we weren't so weak overall, they would not have been invited.

Thats just not the case. The only area you could argue we lack depth is at Centre with Zajac injured, and we haven't even invited a Center to camp.

And even if we had just won the cup and had a perfect team, why would you not invite people to camp?

If they are rubbish and bring nothing to the team then you ship them out, if they can help you sign them up at a reduced rate.

But you know this, why am i even trying to reason with you :huh:

Thats just not the case. The only area you could argue we lack depth is at Centre with Zajac injured, and we haven't even invited a Center to camp.

And even if we had just won the cup and had a perfect team, why would you not invite people to camp?

If they are rubbish and bring nothing to the team then you ship them out, if they can help you sign them up at a reduced rate.

You know what. You are right.

Edited by MantaRay

I dislike the Flyers. I respect what they are doing.

I would imagine those are a professional courtesy. With us, the scrubs could start.

I would imagine any team inviting an unsigned player to camp under the guise of "professional courtesy" is doing so with every intention of signing the players if they prove themselves capable, and the contract terms are agreed to by both parties. Just letting a player suit of for camp and giving them zero chance from the start would seem extremely unprofessional...unless of course that was communicated from the onset.

Do you think Adam Mair is going into the Flyers camp thinking he has absolutely no shot at making the team...and do you think the team told him that? If so, I'll believe your "professional courtesy" argument. If you read the quotes from Mair's agent, I'd believe the opposite is true.

I dislike the Flyers. I respect what they are doing.

I would imagine those are a professional courtesy. With us, the scrubs could start.

You've devolved into a cartoon character. We invite players to camp (something that most teams in the NHL do) because we're desperate, but the Flyers invite players for professional courtesy. Right.

you've respected every move they have done in the last 2-3 years.

they blew up their team and are clearly gonna be worse this year, but you respect it?

Yes, because they made the right moves and went to the SC Finals.

They "blew" up their team, but are a much better team than last year. So, yes I respect them improving.

Do you think Adam Mair is going into the Flyers camp thinking he has absolutely no shot at making the team...and do you think the team told him that? If so, I'll believe your "professional courtesy" argument. If you read the quotes from Mair's agent, I'd believe the opposite is true.

Mair will probably end up with the Phantoms. Mair's agent is PAID to make those comments.

Oh good, a Manta derail, just what this board needs.

On Bernier - he's basically Nick Palmieri's downside. Big body, doesn't play physical, can score some goals close to the net, but isn't much of a factor. I don't see him being signed unless the Devils intend to play him in the top 6 (in what was basically Palmieri's role last year).

On Stralman - hard not to see him competing for Matt Taormina's potential spot.

On Sykora - I can't really see how he makes this team, but he'd probably have the best non-Kovalchuk shot on the club. I think he'd be competing for Tedenby's job.

These are moves that push young players. I think it's very likely that 1 guy gets signed, unlikely 2, and nearly impossible that all 3 are kept.