What worries me the most

Guest Devsrule

Guest Devsrule

They always seems to be invisible vs better teams. They praise on inexperienced teams, but when it comes to big games they have a lot of trouble. I think they try to be way to fancy and it doesnt work.

Anyone else notice this?

Guest Devsrule

Its not that they dont have the ability, its that they are so high on themselves that they try and do highlight plays and it never works. They must have turned the puck over 9 or 10 times at the blueline.

They will be shut down. So, they try to use more speed and more finesse. It might work, but it really hasn't as shown thusfar. Stevenson should be on the line, a la Marshall. You need someone who can CREATE those plays by digging for the puck in the corners, getting in front of the net, being overall physical and aggressive. Sure Gionta can do it, but he gets thrown around very easily and there is the factor that he cannot pass as good as the other two. While a very good player that fits on the line, he CAN be replaced for the playoffs.

Stevenson should be on the line.

I think the problem is we are a one dimentional offense right now. Every team can pick out our best line and when they are shut down we are done. With everyone getting helathy I am hoping we can get offense from Kozlov, Madden and Hrdina's lines. We have a talented center on 4 lines which will help.

I agree with RD and have been saying this all season. I really hope it doesn't come back to get us. But 5 on 5, Primeau and his line can forecheck with only two men low, and they will ALWAYS have two men back against us.

I hope if that line isn't working for the first two games that Burns will switch. Again, you guys have all been talking up Gionta but is he really a 20 goal scorer? If so, the Friesen-Kozlov matchup could use him.

Unfortunately without Marshall, our physical presence on the 4th line is gone.

Guest Devsrule
also drop pass DOES NOT WORK elias please stop doing it

it works, its just that he telegraphs it so bad that the other team knows its coming.

But they need to do some grinding if they want to produce vs philly.

The Flyers might be big and all that sh!t, but they aren't very fast. Primeau is big, he will contain Gomez to some extent, but not fully. I say Kapanen is a more key player for the Flyers containing the EGG than Primeau will be. He's got the speed to keep up. Kapanen and G will cancel each other out, leaving Primeau and someone else covering Gomez and Elias, and Gomez and Elias can blow by them, they just gotta work for it.

The Flyers might be big and all that sh!t, but they aren't very fast. Primeau is big, he will contain Gomez to some extent, but not fully. I say Kapanen is a more key player for the Flyers containing the EGG than Primeau will be. He's got the speed to keep up. Kapanen and G will cancel each other out, leaving Primeau and someone else covering Gomez and Elias, and Gomez and Elias can blow by them, they just gotta work for it.

That speed is great, but that line gets killed down low, bigger defensemen and fowards can just dominate them in the corners, and if you're not scoring off of a rush, that work down low becomes vital. This is also where they do a lot of of their good cycling, and Primeau and Co can take that way from them due to the lack of size.

Philly's lineup should look like this:

Roenick-Zhamnov-Amonte

Leclair-Handzus-Recchi

Gagne-Primeau-Kapanen

Brashear-Lapointe-Radivojevic

I expect Lou to go with the following:

Elias-Gomez-Gionta

Friesen-Kozlov-Stevenson

Pandolfo-Madden-Brylin

Rasmussen-Hrdina-Langenbrunner

I would like Burns to try and match the lines up as following:

Elias, Gomez and Gionta will be out vs Leclair, Handzus and Recchi. Our top line is extreamly fast where Handzus and LeClair can't skate. Our speed will allow us to work well vs a slow line like this

Pandolfo, Madden, Brylin vs the Roenick, Zhamnov and Amonte line. Their top line vs our top shutdown line. I expect Hitch to try and stay away from this matchup.

Friesen, Kozlov and Stevenson vs Gagne, Primeau and Kapanen line. Lou got Kozlov to play vs a Primeau type center. This is our biggest line that needs out outscore their checking line. Stevenson vs Gagne may be a missmatch though.

Rasmussen, Hrdina and Langenbrunner vs Brashear, Lapointe and Radivojevic. This is where I hope we can blow away Philly. I am hopeing Langenbrunner and Hrdina will click vs this slower line.

Even if the EGG line can cycle down low, it doesn't matter. They just won't be able to generate anything at the front. Even if the Flyer defensemen give up a step (and they really don't, all of them have average speed or better), all they have to do is be able to stick check or hook them enough so they can't get a good shot away. The point we're all trying to make is that they won't be able to be creative in the offensive zone at even strength; they will be struggling to keep the puck in most of the time.

I can't see Burns going with a 4th line of Rasmussen, Hrdina, Langenbrunner.

We do need Rasmussen back, though. These Devils are way too non-physical up front.

I realize that you're just looking for the best out of this line, but we have three other offensive lines to be MORE worried about. EGG starting to get goals against above .500 teams of late and I'm less worried about them converting than the other three lines.

Our playoffs are about production from numerous sources... I think the no. 2 option is our puck-moving defenseman and not our no. 2 line.

As for the drop pass, it does work. When it's not carefully done, it can be picked off. What Elias is trying to do is get the puck to Gomez so he and/or G can be in place for a return pass. I've seen a lot more attempts at offense by this team go a lot more awry.

Elias and Gomez aren't egomaniacs. What they're trying to do is carry offense on a team that's not giving them much outside of them. And trying to figure out ways of getting past people that we've seen stop them. They've always been the risk takingest line and that's cause they're the most talented one.

All good points, ESB. If only one line is producing, it really doesn't matter which line it is - they'll be stopped down. Devils have got to get production from Friesen, Langs, Kozlov, etc. Just do it, Devils!

I expect Lou to go with the following:

Elias-Gomez-Gionta

Friesen-Kozlov-Stevenson

Pandolfo-Madden-Brylin

Rasmussen-Hrdina-Langenbrunner

Jason, its Burns that decides the lines :P

Jason probably meant that Lou & Pat are telepathically linked, right, Jason?

:lol: