Best Devil to wear #8

msweet

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked both Maley and Peluso, but sadly, the "best" to wear #8 for the Devils was Zubrus. Can't say I'm a big Zubrus fan though.

Is a joke thread? Peluso no question.

This should be at least 90% for this one. The Crash line changed hockey over the course of the next few years, Peluso was THE Devil enforcer who altered the face of the franchise in the eyes of opposition players.

sadly, the "best" to wear #8 for the Devils was Zubrus.

No disrespect CR, but WHY?

Is it all the championships that he won after we signed him to take Gomez place?

I'll bite, Manta.

Peluso was a fine player, and any Devils fan who saw Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals won't ever forget him. But he wasn't the reason behind the Crash Line's success - Holik and McKay were Devils for 5 more seasons and never missed a beat without him. Meanwhile, Peluso played 67 more games in the NHL. He had to retire due to injury, but how much longer would he have continued on anyway?

Zubrus in a landslide.

Is a joke thread? Peluso no question.

This should be at least 90% for this one. The Crash line changed hockey over the course of the next few years, Peluso was THE Devil enforcer who altered the face of the franchise in the eyes of opposition players.

No disrespect CR, but WHY?

Is it all the championships that he won after we signed him to take Gomez place?

I'm going strictly on talent and ability on that one. Zubrus is the best in that regard. Overall, I think he's been a disappointment since coming here, but he has more pure hockey ability than Peluso. I liked Peluso too, liked him a lot, enjoyed what he brought, and I'll always remember the Crash Line fondly, but to me, the guy who really stood out on that line was Randy McKay....he got the absolute most out of his talent, especially as a Devil.

One observation that hurts Zubrus is the idea that he was signed to take Gomez's place. Clearly he's a much different player with a whole different skillset than Gomez. The problem was he enjoyed a couple of seasons of inflated production playing with Ovechkin, and I think Lou was hoping for a guy who might put up 50-60 points at a low cost. Well, we saw what happened...he produced at about the same rate as the pre-Ovechkin Zubrus. What was amazing was that he actually managed to play in every single game in his first two seasons (the only two seasons he's done that), and played almost every game last season. He'd been an injury risk almost every season before he signed here.

Fenwick, corsi and other stupid stat sh!t cannot compare to how much peluso meant to the team in 95. Zubrus hasn't done crap since he joined the team. Peluso all the way and for those who will always remember 95.

funny, i didn't see anyone mention anything about fenwick or corsi. peluso was the least important regular player on a team that went 16-4 in the playoffs.

funny, i didn't see anyone mention anything about fenwick or corsi. peluso was the least important regular player on a team that went 16-4 in the playoffs.

Yep, because Danton Cole sure got the short end of the stick that Spring. Lemaire really missed that boat by playing Peluso and having the most effective 4th line in the Playoffs with the least important regular player on the line.

Important, least important player...whatever you choose to view it, the Crash Line was effective by the whole of it's parts, regardless of Holik and McKay being better players. The Devils had no one else who could have played better or been more effective in the role Peluso had with Holik and McKay that season.

It's tougher than it looks. Zubrus is a victim of high expectations that he couldn't reach, while Peluso benefited from low expectations that he surpassed. I'd say def Zubrus, but Peluso's grit and energy made a big difference on a cup winner, while Zubrus has played on a bunch of meh teams. Not his fault, but he's done less than we wanted and so has the team. I voted Peluso because I'm a sucker for sentiment, but I probably should have said Zubrus.

Yep, because Danton Cole sure got the short end of the stick that Spring. Lemaire really missed that boat by playing Peluso and having the most effective 4th line in the Playoffs with the least important regular player on the line.

Important, least important player...whatever you choose to view it, the Crash Line was effective by the whole of it's parts, regardless of Holik and McKay being better players. The Devils had no one else who could have played better or been more effective in the role Peluso had with Holik and McKay that season.

Reid Simpson probably could've done the same job.

DevsMan didn't say 'Hey, I like Peluso, he was a big part of the 95 team, so I voted for him', which I wouldn't begrudge at all. He trashed Zubrus. Pretty easy to trash Peluso. Which I don't want to do, since he was such a huge fan favorite, and I remember my heart being broken when he signed with the Rangers.

You also forgot to add Chris mcalpine as being more important than peluso Haha.

Didn't triumph even say he didn't start following the devils until 96 anyways? All he has to go on is stats for the 95 team.

No, he didn't say that. As if I couldn't do that anyway, though, as if your memories or mine of games played 16 years ago would at all settle this debate.

Edited by Triumph

Reid Simpson probably could've done the same job.

Now you're just getting silly. If you think Peluso was a stiff (which you do), you obviously do not remember Reid Simpson's Devils tenure at all.

DevsMan didn't say 'Hey, I like Peluso, he was a big part of the 95 team, so I voted for him', which I wouldn't begrudge at all. He trashed Zubrus. Pretty easy to trash Peluso. Which I don't want to do, since he was such a huge fan favorite, and I remember my heart being broken when he signed with the Rangers.

Where did devsman trash Zubrus? By saying he hasn't "done anything"? You're more critcal of a player on any given day then that, so stop.

You can say whatever you want about Peluso but he's got a Cup ring as a Devil, is beloved and played a important role on one of the most memorable lines in hockey (even today), albeit for a brief time. When Zubrus accomplishes as much in a Devils uniform, then we'll re-visit this.

And Peluso didn't sign with the Rangers. His rights were transferred from St. Louis. He never played a game in New York.

No, he didn't say that. As if I couldn't do that anyway, though, as if your memories or mine of games played 16 years ago would at all settle this debate.

Yes, you did. You mentioned on this site you started following hockey after the Devils 1st Cup.

If the question was favorite Devil to wear #8, it's Mike Peluso hands down. Or if it was the most important player to wear #8 for the Devils, again it'd be Pelsuo. But considering it's asking for the best player it probably has to be Zubrus or Larionov. If we're only considering their time as a Devil, than definitely Zubrus. If we're considering their career as a whole, then Larionov.