GDT: New Jersey Devils @ New York Rangers 7pm

njdevil26

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

saw Chico on my way out tonight. Got talking and he was telling me that Sykora isn't worth the risk for later in the season. Larsson will most likely make the team and not looking like praise will be coming back.

Chico may turn out to be right about Parise...but so may those who feel that he's coming back. Who can really say at this point? I've spoken to Chico a few times throughout the years, and though it's cool that his inner fan comes out when talking to fans, when he goes into that mode he's no different than any of us. I don't think he has any inside knowledge as to what Parise's intentions are. I don't think Zach even knows what his intentions are yet...a lot of what happens re: Parise is going to hinge on how the Devils perform this year.

I don't think he has any inside knowledge as to what Parise's intentions are. I don't think Zach even knows what his intentions are yet...a lot of what happens re: Parise is going to hinge on how the Devils perform this year.

Agreed, but it is also possible that the only reason Parise hasn't signed long-term yet is the team's current ownership situation. Lou has gone out of his way to praise Zach and his representatives for the way they've handled things, which is a little unusual so for all we know they could have agreed in principle but don't have the ability to do anything until January or after.

Now, I don't buy the Post malarkey of a week or so back but I don't buy the Devils' denials either. Not after the way things have gone down with the Mets and with some of the things that have happened this offseason. Hell, apparently we're cutting costs by getting rid of all the private vendors in the arena to put in more City Grills :lol:

I've also had the good fortune to speak to Chico a few times over the last few months and just so you know, he talks to a lot of the players all the time. When he says "I was talking to so and so this morning" he's not kidding. His hunch on Parise isn't a guess. He told me to pray for a miracle. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to get Chico in hot water but since someone else already said the same thing here it's not like Chico's keeping it a secret. If you run into him he'll tell you the same thing and then some. It doesn't look good at all folks.

I've also had the good fortune to speak to Chico a few times over the last few months and just so you know, he talks to a lot of the players all the time. When he says "I was talking to so and so this morning" he's not kidding. His hunch on Parise isn't a guess. He told me to pray for a miracle. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to get Chico in hot water but since someone else already said the same thing here it's not like Chico's keeping it a secret. If you run into him he'll tell you the same thing and then some. It doesn't look good at all folks.

If thats true, and Lou knew that, he would have taken Zach to arb and could have paid less. I think like Colorado said, it will hinge on how the devils do this year

Edited by lucifer91

I liked what I saw from Larsson. Cool, calm, poised and, most importantly for this team, he gets his shots on net. He was able to get two pucks on net from the point in the first period of his first preseason game. There are entire games where it seems like all Devils defensemen can't get two pucks on net. That was part of what made Taormina stand out so much.

Josefson was the other standout for me. This kid is the goods. Haven't been this excited watching a young Devil since Elias. Within the next year or two, he might jump Zajac as the team's top pivot.

Someone mentioned this on TG's blog and not sure if this was mentioned here, but did anyone notice that the Reebok logo on the back on the jersey between the shoulder blades has been replaced by it just saying REEBOK now? If this is a new change then dammit, now my Edge 2.0 jerseys are useless :evilcry:

How are they useless??

I will take them off your hands if you don't want them :uni:

How exactly are you going to get Chico in hot water if it's not like Chico's keeping it a secret? C'mon, this "ooooooooooo I know something you don't know" tact is silly. What did Chico say that must be kept so top secret? I'm guessing Zach may be saying the right things in the paper, about not wanting to leave, etc., but may be bitter or unhappy in private. Again, even if that's true (big if), he may be pissed now, but that could change down the line. We'll find out soon enough.

Josefson was probably the most impressive Devil without creating much offensively. His new combination of speed and strength on the puck make him very hard to corner or get position on. He always stays on the positive side of the puck defensively and his hustle is very much Parise like. Josefson certainly will get PK time, he anticipates the oppositions plays very well. I believe playing with Kovalchuk and Clarkson is a little bit too much of a task offensively. He would fit much better with Parise.

I think the Newport Sports Management group, more specifically Don Meehan, has a big part to play with Parise's decision to test the UFA market. They've been pushing their clients to sign shorter deals as RFA's that will take them right to their UFA years. Steven Stamkos' 5 year deal is a good example of this and they're also the reason Drew Doughty is holding out for a shorter deal. Luke Schenn is also unsigned up to this point.

I don't think there's anything Lou can do at this point but try to be the highest bidder next summer. But at that point, I'm sure there will be some team like the Isles willing to spend way more than Lou or any of us want Lou to.

Let's just hope Adam Larsson stays far away from this guy.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Re: Parise - TG reported in his comments section that Parise was willing to negotiate a long-term deal without an agent, Brodeur-style, in the summer of 2010 and was not heeded. TG is basically a Parise mouthpiece at this point so who knows if that's true, but I think it would certainly add to his level of mistrust for the franchise. A miracle might be strong, but we'll see - I don't think Parise will get an offer from a team that has a better shot to win than NJ.

I think it was dr33 that brought this up a while ago, but most of Parise's friends on the team are gone, and the team is getting a decidedly European flavor.

Edited by Triumph

Josefson was probably the most impressive Devil without creating much offensively. His new combination of speed and strength on the puck make him very hard to corner or get position on. He always stays on the positive side of the puck defensively and his hustle is very much Parise like. Josefson certainly will get PK time, he anticipates the oppositions plays very well. I believe playing with Kovalchuk and Clarkson is a little bit too much of a task offensively. He would fit much better with Parise.

From my side i think josefson and kovalchuk together will be good he have an awesome vision and he can feed the russian sniper. Clarkson dont fit on that line for sure.... A guy like palmieri who screen the net take rebound could be a good fit... zubrus as well.. Tedenby maybe but im not convince yet =. i dont think he is a good fit for kovalchuk

How exactly are you going to get Chico in hot water if it's not like Chico's keeping it a secret? C'mon, this "ooooooooooo I know something you don't know" tact is silly. What did Chico say that must be kept so top secret? I'm guessing Zach may be saying the right things in the paper, about not wanting to leave, etc., but may be bitter or unhappy in private. Again, even if that's true (big if), he may be pissed now, but that could change down the line. We'll find out soon enough.

Ok, he talked to Zach directly and Zach said there's no chance he's coming back next year, that they've hitched their wagon to Kovy and he doesn't want to play second fiddle to anybody. Furthermore, the long term deal they offered him wasn't anywhere near what he wants. Zach doesn't really like Lou's philosophy of not promoting the players as well. Now in my opinion he isn't second fiddle to anybody on this team but who knows what's going on behind the scenes. That 15 year contract sure makes him look less important.

I do agree things can change but that's the current situation. I've been reluctant to post this because Chico has told me a lot of stuff that's yet to happen (ownership was supposed to be settled by April, Lou was supposed to be let go shortly thereafter) so I didn't want to look like a dope posting the Parise stuff but well, there you have it. As for not taking him to arbitration, Lou obviously wants to save a little face here and say he made his best offer, and it's not his money anyway as evidenced by the money he's hemorrhaged since Vanderbeek's taken over.

Ok, he talked to Zach directly and Zach said there's no chance he's coming back next year, that they've hitched their wagon to Kovy and he doesn't want to play second fiddle to anybody. Furthermore, the long term deal they offered him wasn't anywhere near what he wants. Zach doesn't really like Lou's philosophy of not promoting the players as well. Now in my opinion he isn't second fiddle to anybody on this team but who knows what's going on behind the scenes. That 15 year contract sure makes him look less important.

I do agree things can change but that's the current situation. I've been reluctant to post this because Chico has told me a lot of stuff that's yet to happen (ownership was supposed to be settled by April, Lou was supposed to be let go shortly thereafter) so I didn't want to look like a dope posting the Parise stuff but well, there you have it. As for not taking him to arbitration, Lou obviously wants to save a little face here and say he made his best offer, and it's not his money anyway as evidenced by the money he's hemorrhaged since Vanderbeek's taken over.

I agree with all of this. Parise, like you said isnt second fiddle, but when a big name comes into town you have to "share" your role a little bit. That alone is like being demoted. Then you ask for a pay increase and thats turned aside for the time being. At that point you feel that you arent a priority here and you could be "respected" more somewhere else. I understand all of that. Its part of the business. Time will only tell. I just hope that if he thinks he deserves a larger contract, he produces this season and doesnt play half a game.

The other part of your post Im not sure about. Lou is a HUGE part of this franchise. I dont want to give it any thought until there is proof that hes on his way out.

With all due respect (I mean absolutely no disrespect) I'm not very inclined to believe a stranger on an internet forum.

If Zach really said he "doesn't want to play second fiddle to anybody" then I don't want him as captain nor do I want him on the team. A captain's mindset should not have those thoughts, and I don't believe he actually has those thoughts.

Also, it appears he's been in the media A LOT more than Kovalchuk recently. Looks like he's being promoted as "first fiddle" not second.

Yeah, that rules out a lot of teams as a possible destination, probably including the Rangers, so I'm going to call bullsh!t on that one. What that sounds like, assuming it's true, is that they're not going to pay him what they paid Kovalchuk, he thinks he's worth more than that, so he's out.

Whoa if that's true then Zach's sounding a little emo there.

I can understand why some of the Devils players were upset when Kovy first came over because they basically let him do whatever he wanted. But things seem different now. Kovy's playing more of a system than a one man team.

Either way, if Zach really wants out, and it's no secret, I hope Lou trades him for some valuable pieces before he hits UFA. Lou acts like nothing's wrong though and that he expects Zach to re-sign still. Maybe Lou's drinking too much of his own Kool Aid.

If that truly IS his attitude he can let the door hit him in the ass on the way out.

Bottom line - this franchise is based on a team construction.

How many other star Devils have had to deal with other great players rising up or coming in?

If ZP wants to go to MIN or some other franchise with minimal talent and make big bank, be THE STAR, and golf through April - so be it.

You want to contend - you have to share the spotlight. Players like IK were brought in to make ZP's game better by taking pressure off him.

If this is true than maybe ZP has been drinking the Gomez Kool Aid.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/11074/brad-richards-ready-zach-parise-talks-contract-john-tavares-loves-long-island

• New Jersey Devils star Zach Parise got engaged over the summer, as well as entering into a contract of another kind after signing a one-year, $6 million deal with the team on the eve of arbitration. The deal could see the team's most important player become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

"It got to be pretty stressful," Parise told ESPN.com on Thursday. "I had booked a flight and getting ready to go to arbitration, which I didn't think was going to happen, and finally we figured it out toward the end. And we're going to continue talking like we said after we signed … and try and figure something out after the New Year."

This is what he's saying publicly...so who knows? But what skeeter said sounds pretty bad. But for me, whatever Zach's feeling on Sept 22 doesn't matter, as long as he gives it his all come the regular season. This is going to play itself out one way or another. There's just too many variables right now.

I'm so torn about whether to believe any of this. I'm a skeptical person so I am leaning towards "no". But what you post wouldn't surprise me much; it's believable.

Edited by mrthemike