Rangers' Rupp: Devils never gave him his due

devilzibook

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/130405648_Rupp__Devils_didn_t_give_him_his_due.html

He said Thursday he never felt his former team allowed him to evolve past being just a tough guy.
"That organization gave me my start and I have a lot of great memories there," added Rupp, who scored a career-high 13 goals four against the Rangers, including a hat trick — with six assists for the Penguins in 2009-10 after leaving New Jersey as a free agent. "At the same time, I wasn’t able to bloom as a player.

Hey guys, lets not forget how great he was at getting the pucks out of the net during warm-ups. He was a natural. Truly that was his calling.

That is the only skill he has where he can join the ranks of players like Greene and Driver.

And you know who took over after he left? Jamie. Maybe that explains why he was so disgruntled. Or maybe he already was disgruntled and that's why they gave him the job. Bottom line, if Parise is out there doing it this season then I'll be worried.

It's a shame that someone who scored the GWG in game 7 of the Cup Finals and one of the biggest in franchise history, has to be trashed for what exactly?

The excerpt posted in this thread is the only thing Gross has about in the entire article. He wasn't able to bloom as a player...that's it. You can't argue that he wasn't given more of a chance to play in Pitt, regardless of the reasons. He didn't trash the coach, the GM, or the team.

Edited by devilsrule33

Reminds me a little of Troy Crowder...another guy who thought he was more than he was.

It's a shame that someone who scored the GWG in game 7 of the Cup Finals and one of the biggest in franchise history, has to be trashed for what exactly?

The excerpt posted in this thread is the only thing Gross has about in the entire article. He wasn't able to bloom as a player...that's it. You can't argue that he wasn't given more of a chance to play in Pitt, regardless of the reasons. He didn't trash the coach, the GM, or the team.

dr33 - i didn't read the article. the headline was enough. and also, what team does he play for now, and what team did he play for after leaving NJ?

I think it's hard to accept some stuff... people are responsible for their own development. Mike Rupp looks back and feels irky. Petr Sykora looks back and thinks something completely different. Which player lost more getting ousted from the organization? -- I'm just sayin...

If an organization, particularly the Devils, lets you move on, it's because they can't get you to bloom. They give you your freedom to look elsewhere. It's their THING! They let Rafalski go - and Rafalski went because to quote the most annoying go-gurt advt "Duh?"

It's just amusing -- Ask Clarkson about all that... I'm not grumpy about Rupp -- just if this is how he feel and not what the writer put on him... well he needs to adjust his thinking. it's that exact kind of thinking that retards your development -- throughout ALL aspects of life dude. Re-think. Seek to accept accountability not place blame. It's the only way to reach your maximum potential.

DM33 -- the man scored the game winning goal of the SCF.... that reads like being given every opportunity to bloom. How much is an organization expected to bleed for one player? Dude had a HUGE life threatening heart issue and the Devils shied away from him after that. I'd do the same I would not accept the responsibility of giving a guy like that a chance to kill himself even if he wouldn't... Id' be scared because I'd care too much. So he goes off and proves he can play and be a massive grinder... then the Devils took him back -- what did he do with that? he took on the role of tough - or kept to it..... I think he thought he'd go back to where ha had been before -- as if the years between he hadn't changed his style, his role... HE DID IT! the Devils just thought cool - that's your new role you can fit here then, And he's a little sad he can't go back to being a promising prospect scoring the Cup winning goal.

It's stupid to debate. Rupp isn't being an a$$hole but he is and YOU are laying something at the Devils feet that just doesn't belong there. You all forgot the circumstances it sounds like.... OH -- and I feel Rupp shouldn't be giving Pitt credit for giving him space. Out of necessity he was given opportunity and HE capitalized on it. It's HIS doing not the Penguins.

Edited by Pepperkorn

I think it's hard to accept some stuff... people are responsible for their own development. Mike Rupp looks back and feels irky. Petr Sykora looks back and thinks something completely different. Which player lost more getting ousted from the organization? -- I'm just sayin...

If an organization, particularly the Devils, lets you move on, it's because they can't get you to bloom. They give you your freedom to look elsewhere. It's their THING! They let Rafalski go - and Rafalski went because to quote the most annoying go-gurt advt "Duh?"

It's just amusing -- Ask Clarkson about all that... I'm not grumpy about Rupp -- just if this is how he feel and not what the writer put on him... well he needs to adjust his thinking. it's that exact kind of thinking that retards your development -- throughout ALL aspects of life dude. Re-think. Seek to accept accountability not place blame. It's the only way to reach your maximum potential.

Well put PK.

DM33 -- the man scored the game winning goal of the SCF.... that reads like being given every opportunity to bloom. How much is an organization expected to bleed for one player? Dude had a HUGE life threatening heart issue and the Devils shied away from him after that. I'd do the same I would not accept the responsibility of giving a guy like that a chance to kill himself even if he wouldn't... Id' be scared because I'd care too much. So he goes off and proves he can play and be a massive grinder... then the Devils took him back -- what did he do with that? he took on the role of tough - or kept to it..... I think he thought he'd go back to where ha had been before -- as if the years between he hadn't changed his style, his role... HE DID IT! the Devils just thought cool - that's your new role you can fit here then, And he's a little sad he can't go back to being a promising prospect scoring the Cup winning goal.

It's stupid to debate. Rupp isn't being an a$$hole but he is and YOU are laying something at the Devils feet that just doesn't belong there. You all forgot the circumstances it sounds like.... OH -- and I feel Rupp shouldn't be giving Pitt credit for giving him space. Out of necessity he was given opportunity and HE capitalized on it. It's HIS doing not the Penguins.

Very well said. Everything. :)

Certainly, I respect Rupp's assesment of his situation in NJ. He blossomed into a serviceable player later on in life and unfortunately the Devs didn't have much time to wait on him to get there.

The same can be said for a variety of players- Stevie Sullivan, Willie Mitchell, Niklas Bergfors, etc.

He scored a goal against the Ducks in game 7 so for that I will be forever grateful. The GWG I might add.

He had all of 2004 to be the team's 2nd line center and it never happened for him.

His second stint the Devils seemed determined to make him a fighter even though he was never that great at it.

I'm glad he's happy in Pittsburgh, always liked him as a Devil, but really... he was given time to develop when he first got here and time to develop into a fighter the second time through and couldn't do anything well enough to stick.

Just realized Rupps in NY. What a douche.

Edited by devils102