NJ Devils in Europe- Would it Happen?

Mitico12

Just throwing it out there, but with the likes of Ilya Kovalchuk, Zach Parise, and the Swedish troop, do you think the Devils would find it wise to play a series of pre-season games in Europe vs. teams there or even one or two regular season games there at the beginning of the season?

Team bonding, global exposure, different experience may make this a good idea...

What do you think?

Edited by Mitico12

Don't see it happening, but if it does, I think it would have to be next couple years (while Lidstrom's still playing) in Sweden.

It would be neat to see Josefsson/Tedenby/Larsson play in Sweden...

Agreed but it's probably not happening until after Lou retires. I'm not sure how much it helps with all that travel but at least the travel's early and for what it's worth I think Chicago and Boston both did begin their Cup seasons overseas.

Haha...they travel up in business-class type seats...don't worry about that...

Actually getting there's the easy part, it's adjusting to a SEVERAL-hour time zone difference and being so far away from home that's the complication. When I was on vacation overseas recently I didn't get normal sleep till about the fourth night. And then when you go back it's also an adjustment.

Edited by NJDevs4978

We have aSwedish all star team and Russian fave, so it's possible to do those two countries versus the rags and caps

Swedes I could see. Russians, not so much. Malkin's comparable to Kovy, and the Pens are a better draw. Throw in a big time rivalry, and we get left out in the cold (or warm, since it's Russia and all).

I don't see why the Devils would be kept out of this, but I also can't see Lou approving of it if he's given a choice by the league

No one is denying us to go, I'm sure lou has turned it down for his good reasons. The rags like doing (team building stuff)getting out of town. lou likes being home and playing isles, cryers, and rags. that's the way it'll always be.

Lou would never allow this to happen and I agree with him. It's nothing but a gimmick and I could care less about the team playing overseas. What exactly is the point of it? I don't give a rat's ass about growing the fanbase of the Devils or the NHL in Europe and I'd be pretty disappointed to have our season opener taken away so that some Swedes can see some guys from their country play in the NHL.

Lou would never allow this to happen and I agree with him. It's nothing but a gimmick and I could care less about the team playing overseas. What exactly is the point of it? I don't give a rat's ass about growing the fanbase of the Devils or the NHL in Europe and I'd be pretty disappointed to have our season opener taken away so that some Swedes can see some guys from their country play in the NHL.

And that's why Lou won't be around much longer. Any responsible GM should want to grow the fan base of both his team and the NHL. Lou is awesome and did some amazing things, but he really isn't adapting to the way the game has changed.

Also, you lose 2 out of 82 games. It's not that big of a deal.

And that's why Lou won't be around much longer. Any responsible GM should want to grow the fan base of both his team and the NHL. Lou is awesome and did some amazing things, but he really isn't adapting to the way the game has changed.

Also, you lose 2 out of 82 games. It's not that big of a deal.

I would love to hear how exactly the Devils benefit from having a larger fanbase in Europe. It's not like there's droves of Europeans coming to NJ to see the Devils play and I doubt tons of them buy our merchandise either. From what I see, it seems that most of the Europeans that are interested in the NHL and a particular team, is because they like to follow their countrymen who are playing. So yeah, we lose 2 games, but we also have the team dealing with two difficult time adjustments when they head there and head back that may affest their play in the games right after they come back, all for what I believe is questionable gains.

Oh heavan forbid losing one regular season home game!

Would love it to happen every, european game i have been to has been amazing.

Whatever teams come across its a great event for the fans from europe.

I hope they come back to london again some time soon that was a two day sellout, plus having the NHL in the worlds busiest arena is good for the NHL's global profile.

I hope they come back to london again some time soon that was a two day sellout, plus having the NHL in the worlds busiest arena is good for the NHL's global profile.

You mean MSG isn't the most fantabulous arena in the world? How do we break this to the Rangers fans?!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk