Jon Merrill Suspended for 12 Games

Jerzey

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/devils_prospect_jon_merrill_supsended_by_university_of_michigan_for_12_games/#comments

This is not the first time that Merrill, 19, has been disciplined for off-ice actions. When he was with the U.S. under-18 program in Ann Arbor, Mich. in 2009-10, he was suspended for two weeks because of an off-ice incident in which he was accused of what he described as, “harrassment” of some girls at his high school (Ann Arbor Pioneer).

Uh oh. Problem child?

Edited by Jerzey Devil

this is certainly disturbing. i'd like to know what the actual cause of this was. i'd think that at a high profile school like Michigan where there are plenty of kids from NJ that the story will eventually get out.

there is certainly potential there and it would be ashamed if this kind of stuff wrecked it.

Remember all this?:

Merrill believes that the disciplinary incident probably caused him to drop out of the first round.

“I think that played a big role in it,” he said. “That’s pretty much the only answer I have. I guess a lot of teams just didn’t think I’d fit into their organization.

He said he “definitely” learned from that incident, though.

“Without a doubt,” he said.,

http://blogs.northje...k_38th_overall/

doh1.gif

"There are different reasons why people don't go in the first round," Lamoriello noted. "He was projected pretty high. We had him very high, so that's why we took him. Not to make it a cliche, we were surprised he was still there."

The Devils were not scared off by Merrill's discipline problem.

"His interview sort of erased that," Lamoriello said. "He told us exactly what happened. You sometimes take that chance. I met the parents. We would not have taken him if we didn't feel comfortable. We'll find out pretty quick."

http://www.nj.com/de...h_devils_t.html

doh1.gif

Edited by ben00rs

I'm not condemning the kid till I know what he did. Red Berenson runs a tight ship, so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't something bad and was more an example being made. We'll probably know soon enough.

Did Madden ever get suspended for twelve games there? No, and it's not like he was a choirboy either (see some of his limo activity in Chicago for example, or his alleged role in getting Julien fired here).

Getting suspended for two or five games is one thing but TWELVE, in a 30-some game season is a ton. There's a reason we got first-round talent in the second-round, he's a bit of a nutjob. Lou occasionally will pick a guy like that (Corrente, Danton, Cormier) but eventually they all flame out and never get a real shot.

I mean okay, maybe it was something non-dangerous like flunking a class or cheating on a test which would be bad enough (and I'm sure Lou takes that just as seriously as the actual nuts stuff), but if it was self-destructive, or could have/did cause harm to others, he ain't gonna be long for this organization either.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I mean okay, maybe it was something non-dangerous like flunking a class or cheating on a test which would be bad enough (and I'm sure Lou takes that just as seriously as the actual nuts stuff), but if it was self-destructive, or could have/did cause harm to others, he ain't gonna be long for this organization either.

cheating on a test...bad enough.....well lets never hang out

im am very excited for merrill and still am

Did Madden ever get suspended for twelve games there? No, and it's not like he was a choirboy either (see some of his limo activity in Chicago for example, or his alleged role in getting Julien fired here).

Getting suspended for two or five games is one thing but TWELVE, in a 30-some game season is a ton. There's a reason we got first-round talent in the second-round, he's a bit of a nutjob. Lou occasionally will pick a guy like that (Corrente, Danton, Cormier) but eventually they all flame out and never get a real shot.

Just because Madden did some stuff as an NHLer, like having fun in a limo and testing a coach, doesn't mean he was a problem in college. Scott Stevens had a lot of off ice problems, too.

All that we know is that he's a 19 year old kid who messed up. I don't think any of us want to be judged on what we did as teenagers.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/2011/10/1/2462222/jon-merrill-suspended-12-games

The University of Michigan announced today that sophomore defenseman Jon Merrill would be suspended for the first 12 games of the season for a violation of team rules. The 12-game suspension means Merrill's first game back will be a pretty important series at Miami starting November 11th(The suspension counts Michigan's two exhibition games, and the Wolverines have an extremely compressed schedule early in the season, if that seems like he'll be back quick).

With Merrill also almost guaranteed to miss two series while at the World Juniors, that leaves him with just 20 regular season games this year, causing some to speculate that Merrill will seek somewhere else to play. The New Jersey Devils hold his NHL rights, while the Plymouth Whalers hold his OHL rights.

That would be sick. Gives him a chance to get a ton of playing time and he'd be a teammate of Wedgewood.

Just because Madden did some stuff as an NHLer, like having fun in a limo and testing a coach, doesn't mean he was a problem in college. Scott Stevens had a lot of off ice problems, too.

All that we know is that he's a 19 year old kid who messed up. I don't think any of us want to be judged on what we did as teenagers.

This whole "he's just a teenager" thing doesn't fly with me. It's no excuse for lacking discipline when other players at the same age can have integrity and control themselves because they want the dream bad enough. He is a New Jersey Devils' draft pick and probable future player - that he would tell Lou he's past the first incident and then get himself suspended for 12 games is just a lack of respect and care that goes too far for me. I am still excited for him to be a Devil, but this whole "he's just a kid" thing is so unfair to the behaved players around him and is just plain baloney.

This whole "he's just a teenager" thing doesn't fly with me. It's no excuse for lacking discipline when other players at the same age can have integrity and control themselves because they want the dream bad enough. He is a New Jersey Devils' draft pick and probable future player - that he would tell Lou he's past the first incident and then get himself suspended for 12 games is just a lack of respect

and care that goes too far for me. I am still excited for him to be a Devil, but this whole "he's just a kid" thing is so unfair to the behaved players around him and is just plain

baloney.

You realize kids mature at different levels, right? He definitely has maturity and disciplinary problems, but a lot of young players do. Red Berenson came down hard on him because he NEEDS someone to come down hard on him. Berenson has helped to shape a lot of young players and hopefully he can help Merrill.

The mistakes you make as a teenager do not shape you as a person. Learning from them does. No one knows what he did. I wouldn't be shocked if it was something minor and Berenson nailed him show him that this stuff won't fly. He's not gonna just give up on him.

That would be sick. Gives him a chance to get a ton of playing time and he'd be a teammate of Wedgewood.

see this guy sees a different side to the story lol

not quite the reaction that the average person but still many angles to be seen

personally i cant wait for merrill to get here...he is shaping up to be a top 4 stud and with the promise of larsson we could finally have a solid back end again....if your going to be pissed be pissed is he gets arrested after he signs a contract with the devils