Parise named captain!

SterioDesign

i dont care who has the C. its a stupid fabric letter attached to a jersey. if the C makes you play better, then that is a serious problem

i want this team to win the cup. i dont care if we have one C, 3 A's, no letters...

we need to focus on our mistakes from last year and improve and excel

Or, you guys are reading it wrong. Perhaps Marty is very "matter-of-fact" when being asked how Parise will stack up against Scotty S., Scotty N., etc., by basically saying "one year isn't a good gauge for evaluating his captaincy. If he stays then we can really see how effective he is..."

He isn't calling out anything...wishful thinking on your part...

Or, you guys are reading it wrong. Perhaps Marty is very "matter-of-fact" when being asked how Parise will stack up against Scotty S., Scotty N., etc., by basically saying "one year isn't a good gauge for evaluating his captaincy. If he stays then we can really see how effective he is..."

He isn't calling out anything...wishful thinking on your part...

That's exactly right. If you read the previous sentence (which was omitted here), it states: "Goalie Martin Brodeur was asked how he thought Parise would measure up to past captains like Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Elias, Bruce Driver and Jamie Langenbrunner." Just goes to show how much context matters, and why journalists can completely change a story to their liking simply by omitting some choice sentences.

That's exactly right. If you read the previous sentence (which was omitted here), it states: "Goalie Martin Brodeur was asked how he thought Parise would measure up to past captains like Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Elias, Bruce Driver and Jamie Langenbrunner." Just goes to show how much context matters, and why journalists can completely change a story to their liking simply by omitting some choice sentences.

hahahaha what a joke.. way to omit the entire point of Martys statement (whoever that was).

I can't say I love Parise's comments about not trying to change anything about what he does. That has been the problem in the past with Langs and Elias adjusting to the new responsibilities. You have to make some changes. You do need to be more vocal. Leading by example is good, but you have to be a leader of men, and that includes being more vocal and demanding of the team, taking young players under his wing and showing them ropes.

I hope he gets some advice form both Jamie and Patty about this adjustment, since they both never got comfortable in their new roles. If things go south early, you have to have a different mindset as Captain of a hockey team.

lol Marty's a curmedgeon at this point in his career. But he's also a fan and wants the best for the team after he's gone.

I think that gives him the latitude to get away with such a statement and besides I could picture him in his sheepish grin telling zach --"you got to stay now"

I think even the NJ.COM story is wrong. Here's how it really went down...

Goalie Martin Brodeur was asked how much he enjoys Parise's famous homemade crab dip.

"He's got to stay here. That's the bottom line," Brodeur said, referring to the fact Parise has only a one-year contract.

• Like 3

I can't say I love Parise's comments about not trying to change anything about what he does. That has been the problem in the past with Langs and Elias adjusting to the new responsibilities. You have to make some changes. You do need to be more vocal. Leading by example is good, but you have to be a leader of men, and that includes being more vocal and demanding of the team, taking young players under his wing and showing them ropes.

I hope he gets some advice form both Jamie and Patty about this adjustment, since they both never got comfortable in their new roles. If things go south early, you have to have a different mindset as Captain of a hockey team.

i agree with you, partially. someone here said earlier that being assigned the C position should not make you a better player.. should it change you? ehhhh.. its a thin line because although i agree with you saying he's gotta man up and take these yung'ns under his wing, i would also like to know that he's still gonna try and just be him, and play like he knows how

I think even the NJ.COM story is wrong. Here's how it really went down...

Goalie Martin Brodeur was asked how much he enjoys Parise's famous homemade crab dip.

"He's got to stay here. That's the bottom line," Brodeur said, referring to the fact Parise has only a one-year contract.

:rofl: