Devils To Honor Rachunek and Vasyunov.

Quinn01

Newark, NJ – The Devils will wear memorial patches on their sweaters in memory of Karel Rachunek and Alexander Vasyunov, who were among those who lost their lives in last month’s tragic plane crash involving Lokomotiv Yaroslavl. The patches will be worn during Saturday’s season-opening game, as well as the first road match of the season. The announcement was made by Devils’ CEO/President/General Manager Lou Lamoriello.

The 1¼” x 3¼” black patch features “KR • AV” in white stitching and will be worn on the upper right chest. New Jersey will wear the memorial patch on Sat., Oct. 8 vs. Philadelphia and Sat., Oct. 15 at Nashville. Each jersey will be authenticated by the New Jersey Devils-MeiGray game-worn jersey authentication program.

All game-worn jerseys will be autographed by the entire team and auctioned off at auction.nhl.com. The bidding for the home jerseys will start on Thu., Oct. 13 at 6:00 PM ET and conclude Thu., Nov. 3 at 9:00 PM ET. Bidding for the road jerseys will take place from 6:00 PM on Thu., Oct. 20 through 9:00 PM on Thu., Nov. 10. Proceeds will be donated to the Rachunek and Vasyunov families. The minimum opening bid on each jersey is set at $500 (U.S.).

NJDevils.com

Im happy to read this. There was speculation that there wasnt going to be much done by the franchise to honor the two deceased Devils. Also great that they are wearing the patches and will be auctioning off the jerseys afterwards.

500 bones seems like a lot. Maybe I am just a broke chump.

While it does seem a little steep, its going to the families of the two players. I would expect to see the bigger named players worn jerseys go for 2-3 times the starting bid.

Its for a good cause in the end.

Edited by Quinn01

Hate that the WHOLE team is signing them! that ruins the jersey and hurts the value, but it is for a great cause. I will go after one.

Is that really the case that it hurts the value since it is not in game-worn condition?

Also I do personally hate autographs on any of my jerseys. I refuse to let a player sign my jersey for any reason. To me it just looks like graffiti on a nice jersey.

I know 1 or 2 members here that I am giving a 99% likelyhood of purchasing one of these jerseys :lol:

LOL, maybe not! I didn't buy a PB due to the team autograph and if i am not mistaken, i do not think the other members here who collect bought a PB for the same reason.

People will look at the cause and disagree with this, which is fine becuase that should not be overlooked, but no one is right or wrong, collector or fan or both. It's just personal preference on someone's part. The feedback on the PB's were made about the team signed aspect and i guess they feel that this will again make them more "attractive" to bidders.

IMO, The PB's did not draw the $ they should have for Burns due to the team autograph and the absence of Parise and Brodeur. We'll see with the Rachunek/Vasuynov jerseys...

Also, if you're in NJ you will pay sales tax so keep that in mind, too.

Edited by SJP20

Very nice. However, I'm of the opinion that the patch should be worn for the whole season. They did the same sh!t with the Burns patch last year, and that pissed me off.

I bet it's some stupid league regulation you know how leagues are with their uniform standards. They gotta be nazis when it comes to 'consistent appearance' Why this isn't a huge exception the league can make all season I don't know. Every team should participate, out of respect.

LOL, maybe not! I didn't buy a PB due to the team autograph and if i am not mistaken, i do not think the other members here who collect bought a PB for the same reason.

IMO, The PB's did not draw the $ they should have for Burns due to the team autograph

Exactly. I held off on buying a PB patched jersey because the autographs ruined it for me, and unless I can get a KR+AV jersey for opening bid, I won't be pursuing one of those, either.

The autographs might be appealing to the casual fan, but to game worn jersey collectors like Ken and I, they are usually a major turn-off (because the jersey was significantly altered from how it was worn on the ice).

Edited by JWomp

I'm surprised not more fans have been questioning the decision to not wear a 30th patch on their uniforms all season. As a collector, that is what i am pretty dissapointed in.

That's one thing I'm not surprised about. Thirty years isn't that big of a deal, and I'm sure that's how Lou sees it too.

Ten, 25, and 50 years are the major anniversaries in my opinion, so I'm OK with the decision not to have a patch...if they did, what's next? A patch for 35, 40, and 45? Who really cares about those anniversaries, honestly.

Although for collecting purposes, and because it's a neat logo, I do wish they were wearing a 30th patch.

That's one thing I'm not surprised about. Thirty years isn't that big of a deal, and I'm sure that's how Lou sees it too.

Ten, 25, and 50 years are the major anniversaries in my opinion, so I'm OK with the decision not to have a patch...if they did, what's next? A patch for 35, 40, and 45? Who really cares about those anniversaries, honestly.

Although for collecting purposes, and because it's a neat logo, I do wish they were wearing a 30th patch.

Remember the Rags celebrating 85 years with a patch last year? I thought that was fvcking odd lol.

Devils organization always a class act when it comes to things like this. those jerseys for both nights that will be up for aution are going to go for a lot of money which is good for that charity. Glad to see the Devils do this and to remember both devils players and all the players that was lost on that tragic day.

Remember the Rags celebrating 85 years with a patch last year? I thought that was fvcking odd lol.

That's about the ONLY thing they have to celebrate from last season. :rofl:

They (the Rangers) should probably make a patch up for the memories (nightmares) of Avery who embarrassed the team on almost a nightly basis. The patch could be called the A.S.S. Patch (Avery Special Sentiment) or as we might call it: the Avery Sloppy Seconds patch.

I have NO interest in these jerseys and the "good cause" suffers. I might be interested if they had NO autograph, but here we are with another Devils mistake. :doh1:

I'm really not that upset because I have come to expect this. MeiGray probably advises them against this, but the Devils have always done what they do and aren't going to change. It's disappointing to see a player ONLY get recognized for one game (two, but one home and one road), but what do you expect after Pat Burns... Maybe next time the player will be recognized for one period, or a shift!