Philadelphia Flyers Fans Boo Anti-Cancer Ad Featuring Rival Players

Rock

http://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/msn/philadelphia_flyers_fans_boo_anti_cancer_ad_featuring_rival_players_during_game/7391497

Philadelphia Flyers Fans Boo Anti-Cancer Ad Featuring Rival Players During Game

During an intermission between periods in the game against the Vancouver Canucks in the team’s home opener, a Hockey Fights Cancer public service announcement appeared on the arena’s jumbotron. The PSA featured Pittsburgh Penguins center Sidney Crosby, Chicago Blackhawks center Jonathan Toews and Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller, disliked players on teams which have had bitter rivalries with the Flyers over the years. So Flyers fans did what came naturally when they saw those players: they booed them, despite the fact they were representing and speaking to a worthwhile cause which I am confident most Flyers fans wouldn’t boo had it not been for those players’ appearances in the spot.

Edited by Rock

I just want to know how Philly, that tiny little corner of the world...got so rotten. I mean you got Baltimore Orioles fans right around the corner...and they're fine. It's almost like the Philadelphia fan bases are benign tumors on the sports landscape...benign, but tumors nontheless

I just want to know how Philly, that tiny little corner of the world...got so rotten. I mean you got Baltimore Orioles fans right around the corner...and they're fine. It's almost like the Philadelphia fan bases are benign tumors on the sports landscape...benign, but tumors nontheless

Baltimore sports fans are fine when it comes to the Orioles because the O's give them nothing to be arrogant about. But when it comes to the Ravens? They're a bunch of purple-clad lunatics.

I talked to my gf's father who is like 62 and used to be an Eagles and Flyers STH.. He said back during the Broad Street Bullies the Flyers fans were pretty benign.. But he said that Eagles fans were always crazy, and he thinks that the atmosphere created by the Eagles just spread to the other sports (Flyers and Phillies).. It became an acceptable culture that they seem to be proud of

It's really disgusting but then again it's just an ugly side of humanity.. People can be flat out dirty

Edited by Colin226

Devils fans boo'ed the Crosby spot tonight....time for pot/kettle/black much guys?

well, maybe if they used a devil...I've seen Marty do something similar lately, or Parise, Kovy, Elias? I wish the league would stop relying on the league pretty boys. Lol if he didn't get dropped by the rangers, could have used Avery as an anti-bullying spokesman...:rofl:

.....oh wait...:unsure:

It all stems from the colonial days - they were intrumental in our revolution .. they were rotten back then, thank God

Well we booed Crosby, not Miller or Toews :lol:

Let's face it, anyone's fanbase has enough yahoos to boo their rivals the minute they see them up on the screen. Ranger fans would boo Marty doing that spot, hell Nuck fans would probably boo Tim Thomas. But yeah we can't exactly claim the high ground now.

devils fans shouldn't critisize booing by anyone. devils fans (atleast in our building)boo everything. if they put a recognizable serial killer in a devs sweater up on the scoreboard, they'd probably cheer.

I think the fanbases are still somewhat different depending on the sport and opponent. I went to a Phils/Red Sox game this past summer and sat in the 8th row behind the sox dubgout. Those sections were split almost 50/50 Phils/Sox fans and I witnessed no problems (not even vulgar language) at all.

On the other hand, I bought tickets to the 11/3 devils game in Philly and specifically bought club/suite tickets to stay away from the riff raff. I am so ashamed of myself it's ridiculous, but I truly believe I've lowered my chances of getting shanked with a sharpened toothbrush by sitting in the suite.

But then again...who knows with those crazy philly a$$holes.

if you're afraid of the scum in philly, you're a bit of a pansy to be honest. they're classless pieces of sh!t but they're not going to kill you.

it's a shame no devils fans make the trip there anymore

I was overstating about the shank for emphasis; obviously I'm not worried about actually being killed. And, I've given Rangers/Flyers fans enough of a hard time in my day that I fully expect it back, but taking into consideration their reputation, I wouldnt want to have a beer thrown at me or anything of that nature. That's a line I've never crossed. Since I've never been to the WF Center, I really dont know if it goes beyond what I typically expect as rivals banter.

if you're afraid of the scum in philly, you're a bit of a pansy to be honest. they're classless pieces of sh!t but they're not going to kill you.

it's a shame no devils fans make the trip there anymore

Yeah! What a bunch of Pansies!

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/Phillies_Fan_Beaten_To_Death

Members of the two groups wound up fighting at McFadden's Restaurant & Saloon (which is built into the ballpark but has a separate entrance). When security tossed the combatants out onto the street, words continued being exchanged until the fighting escalated again in a parking lot at 7th Street and Pattison Avenue.

When police arrived to break up the fight they began arresting the 30 to 40 participants and taking in witnesses. But officers found Sale unconscious and hurt on the ground.

He died within an hour at a hospital.

As for what started it all, Clark said, "It was over a spilled drink. Someone spilled a drink on someone, bumped into someone -- it was apparently very crowded in there. From there, it escalated into a war of words and a physical altercation. They were all ejected, and you had a beating and subsequent killing outside of the bar."

http://deadspin.com/5373997/flyers-fans-scuffle-in-jersey-stab-each-other-in-philly

These were all Flyers fans fighting. I don't know why. I guess drinking all day had something to do with it? Anyway, some guy comes walking by with his buddy screaming, "Call an ambulance!" He had been stabbed and his intestines were literally hanging out! There was blood everywhere.

Philadelphia sports fans only kill/attempt to kill their own! Pansies!

So the Flyer fans booed their biggeest rival Crosby on their big screen, during a PSA. This really isn't a story. Did you ever hear how loud their Crosby Sukcs chant is? They probably can't wait until he returns to restart that. I'm sure the Caps fans would boo the PSA too.

ok ok, when i first read this title i thought this was gonna be a ridiculous a$$hole move by the fans.. but dont over-criticize this issue.. first of all, the players could've been shown before the fans even realized what the ad was for. and even if that wasnt the case, its clear they were booing the players not the ad. this isn't THAT big a deal

dont get me wrong, though... philly fans are the most garbage pieces of trash that are only a$$holes because they think they are tough.. even the tiniest most embarrassing philly fan will act tough at an even just because its reputation tells him to do so.. they're a joke

I was at the game last night and the same video was played. I definitely heard some boos when it first came on. I don't think most people realized it was a PSA until about 5 seconds in, when Crosby mentions the cause. For all the holier-than-thou Devils fans responding to this thread, you play at an arena where fans routinely (always) chant "Rangers Suck" and "Flyers Swallow" after the Devils score. Stay classy.

For all the holier-than-thou Devils fans responding to this thread, you play at an arena where fans routinely (always) chant "Rangers Suck" and "Flyers Swallow" after the Devils score. Stay classy.

Note that the bolded doesn't read "during anti-cancer public service announcements".

No one has a problem with hating on a rival. That's sports. It's the whole part about it being an anti-cancer thing that made this a story.