41 members have voted

1. 1. The New Jersey Devils will...

• Win in regulation.
    • Lose in regulation.
    • Win in OT.
    • Lose in OT.
    • Win in SO.
    • Lose in SO.

Great game tonight. All the lines looked good.

Kovy looked 100 times better than he looked last game.

As far as Clarkson scoring, let's be honest it was Tedenby's beautiful set up. Clarkson's shot wasn't even good, he got lucky and it slid under Rinne. I'm ok with Clarkson playing on the third line, but there's no reason for him to be on the first power play unit, taking face offs, or out there in OT.

That's the only problem I have with DeBoer so far. Almost everybody gets OT time. Just shuffle your best players. Parise and Elias got 2 shifts in OT. They started and didn't get on again until under 2 minutes left. There is absolutely no reason why Clarkson should be on the ice in OT and taking face offs in OT. :doh1:

Pretty impressive for Parise and Kovy to make a goalie of Rinne's caliber look silly on those shoot out goals.

I've seen Clarkson take faceoffs a few times. He got tossed today and Elias went in his place. Lost the face off. The past times that I payed attention Clarkson did actually win the faceoffs 1 of each of the games prior.

Not saying he should take em but just saying the 2/3 times I actually got to see he won em. Which I never expected and was talked about in last GDT

I'm gonna change up the poll for next game...maybe which Devils score first? IDK I know DevsGens do that on twitter so don't wanna steal their thunder.

Edited by Coorslight

I've never been happier to have been wrong. Until Kovy scored, it looked like this could've been one of those games where they dominate, but the opposing goaltender stands on his head, and we get fvcked and lose. But to come back and win this one is an encouraging sign. That was a nice character win, and I really tip my hat to Moose. He's been great.

Edited by MadDog2020

I have never been happier to have been wrong. Until Kovy scored, it looked like this could've been one of those games where they dominate, but the opposing goaltender stands on his head, and we get fvcked and lose. But to come back and win this one is an encouraging sign. That was a nice character win, and I really tip my hat to Moose. He's been great.

I agree MadDog, but you must at least also concede some hatred and admit Clarkson did ok toward the end.

if you are going to artificially limit the time periods being talked about, you should mention the dominant play down the stretch last year. that happened.

also this is a way different team than the team that opened the 2009-10 season - more than half the players who played tonight weren't on that team.

They had a dominant record but I'd hardly call it dominant play - of course we went through this before. And their great record was largely because of Marty and Moose both having 2.1 GAA's and .930 save percentages over the second half (as well as Kovy playing like a man possessed for Lemaire). I'm not sure that's sustainable over a full season, maybe it will be based on how they've both played so far.

And everyone this side of Manta including you and me thought the '09-10 team was a near juggernaut on paper, particualrly offensively. That didn't exactly work out, finishing 30th by a mile in goals even with the 'great' second half they were still a bottom five team in offense during the second half. Six non-empty net goals in four games don't suggest that our offensive woes have gone away yet. At least they're getting opportunities but if they don't finish then Marty and Moose will have to be all-world again.

Edited by NJDevs4978

One thing that I noticed in this game is just how much creativity and WTF moments Nashville puts out, and how humdrum and routine most of our plays are. This is why our power play consistently ranks lowest in the league - we're way too orderly and regimented, and it makes us predictable. Nashville's power plays were a thing of beauty. I'm not saying we should play this way 5-on-5, because it has its own heaps of problems, but for the power play it's essential to be unpredictable and let the puck fly wild.

They had a dominant record but I'd hardly call it dominant play - of course we went through this before. And their great record was largely because of Marty and Moose both having 2.1 GAA's and .930 save percentages over the second half (as well as Kovy playing like a man possessed for Lemaire). I'm not sure that's sustainable over a full season, maybe it will be based on how they've both played so far.

NJ crushed last year about as well as you can at 5 on 5 under Lemaire last year. They were also fantastic 4 on 5. Was their expected record as good as their actual record? Of course not, but fine, turn some wins into losses and turn some OT wins into OT losses. Is that a playoff pace they were playing at? Yes. NJ played ridiculously low event hockey under Lemaire last year - no penalties taken, no penalties drawn, low shots for, low shots against. You can win in this league with a bottom 5 offense if you also have a top 5 defense.

And everyone this side of Manta including you and me thought the '09-10 team was a near juggernaut on paper, particualrly offensively. That didn't exactly work out, finishing 30th by a mile in goals even with the 'great' second half they were still a bottom five team in offense during the second half. Six non-empty net goals in four games don't suggest that our offensive woes have gone away yet. At least they're getting opportunities but if they don't finish then Marty and Moose will have to be all-world again.

I fully expect the power play to be at 6% all year, so Hedberg better be ready for that.

One thing that I noticed in this game is just how much creativity and WTF moments Nashville puts out, and how humdrum and routine most of our plays are. This is why our power play consistently ranks lowest in the league - we're way too orderly and regimented, and it makes us predictable. Nashville's power plays were a thing of beauty. I'm not saying we should play this way 5-on-5, because it has its own heaps of problems, but for the power play it's essential to be unpredictable and let the puck fly wild.

Nashville's power plays consistently rank at the bottom of the league too, so it's not like they've figured anything out. NJ's power play tonight was better - the 4 on 3s were a mess, but the 5 on 4 PPs were pretty good.

Edited by Triumph

I fully expect the power play to be at 6% all year, so Hedberg better be ready for that.

It's been about 6% for a year and a half :P At least Larsson's presence should improve it a little over time (especially once he learns he's allowed to shoot) but so far their only PP goals have been an empty-netter and a 5-on-3.

And Kovy isn't going to be playing 30+ minutes a night back to back games when the schedule tightens up, at least I hope he isn't.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Nashville's power plays consistently rank at the bottom of the league too, so it's not like they've figured anything out. NJ's power play tonight was better - the 4 on 3s were a mess, but the 5 on 4 PPs were pretty good.

Our PP has been "pretty good" for a while. We are usually able to maintain possession and make some nice passes, even look a bit dangerous. The problem is that we rarely score because the goalies are always in position, or the other team's defense eventually breaks up a pass. This happens because our PP game is predictable and so it rarely leads to goals.

I'm not saying NSH will be this good on their PP all season, but I was very impressed with how well they moved the puck, while still being completely unpredictable. I was honestly in awe of some of the moves they pulled, and we certainly have the skill to achieve the same.

Our PP has been "pretty good" for a while. We are usually able to maintain possession and make some nice passes, even look a bit dangerous. The problem is that we rarely score because the goalies are always in position, or the other team's defense eventually breaks up a pass. This happens because our PP game is predictable and so it rarely leads to goals.

NJ's power play was middle of the pack at generating shots last year - they have to do better than that this year. They got very solid scoring chances tonight. Two by Clarkson, one by Parise. And those are just the ones I remember.

I'm not saying NSH will be this good on their PP all season, but I was very impressed with how well they moved the puck, while still being completely unpredictable. I was honestly in awe of some of the moves they pulled, and we certainly have the skill to achieve the same.

They won't sustain it. I think you're overlooking the plays NJ made tonight and emphasizing the plays Nashville made.

NJ's power play was middle of the pack at generating shots last year - they have to do better than that this year. They got very solid scoring chances tonight. Two by Clarkson, one by Parise. And those are just the ones I remember.

I know, I'm not saying we don't get chances. As I said, our power play is good, and it should be because we have good talent up there, but it'll never be GREAT until we start thinking a little outside the box and let our skill players get creative.

They won't sustain it. I think you're overlooking the plays NJ made tonight and emphasizing the plays Nashville made.

This is true. The grass is always greener on the other side. I'm sure Nashville fans have plenty of things they'd like to change about their PP (no sarcasm). I just think that Nashville showed some great creativity in their power play which I think we lack.

Only saw the third period, but I am thrilled with the win. Yeah, it's a shootout win, but they get wacky and I figure it will all balance out by the end of the year. They completely outplayed the Preds in the third and the Kings majority of the game. Back-to-back near 40 shot games? If that's not against two of the best goalies in the league, these games might not be so close.

It was a great feeling and sight to know when Clarkson scored (beauty of a look by teddy) that we have the advantage to send out the Kovy line and Parise line in back-to-back shifts.

Take a step back and look at the big picture. The Devils are sitting at 3-1 after being terrible last year. Has, you talked about proving they are different than last year, more importantly they need to prove to themselves that it is a lot different.

I know, I'm not saying we don't get chances. As I said, our power play is good, and it should be because we have good talent up there, but it'll never be GREAT until we start thinking a little outside the box and let our skill players get creative.

Our power play is not 'good' yet, it just has the talent that should be better than 28th in the NHL that they were last year. Nashville was 26th and 24th the last two years though so really Tri's right, they're not better than us in that area. Thing is, Nashville actually has defensemen that can run a point on the power play but no talent up front. We have talent up front but no defensemen that can run a point (at least until Larsson gets more experience). If you combine our personnel, that'd be one heck of a power play. Or a total mites on ice clusterfvck.

Take a step back and look at the big picture. The Devils are sitting at 3-1 after being terrible last year. Has, you talked about proving they are different than last year, more importantly they need to prove to themselves that it is a lot different.

Exactly, and that might be the biggest thing they have going for them this year - hunger.

I've been saying this for over a year now.. Keeping the players to the outside means the goalie isn't screened.. It also means that no one is there to smack in rebounds..

I hate to be a broken record about it but seriously watch the Flyers PP.. It works because of exactly the things I'm saying the Devils don't do

I think the main problem with our power play is that everyone on it is stagnant in their roles. If you watch a team like Detroit (#5 PP % last year), everyone is in constant motion. This creates havoc on the defense with people trying to pick up all the moving parts. The Devils on the other hand appear to just stand still and pass back and forth. Kovy at the left point, Larsson at the right, Elias and Parise on the wings and Clarktard standing in front. There needs to be more motion of the players down low at the very least. Kovy seems to be the only guy that really moves around on the PP.

I've been saying this for over a year now.. Keeping the players to the outside means the goalie isn't screened.. It also means that no one is there to smack in rebounds..

There are players there for rebounds and screens. It's up to the players at the point to shoot when those guys are in position. The NJ power play works pretty simply right now.

I hate to be a broken record about it but seriously watch the Flyers PP.. It works because of exactly the things I'm saying the Devils don't do

The Devils don't have players like Jagr, Giroux, and Briere. Elias is the closest thing and he's not as creative as any of those 3 guys.