SNY's Daily News Live LOL

Random Poster

Have no idea why i had this channel on in my office other then to say that's what was on it when i turned the TV on. (plus i was too lazy to fetch the remote as i was finishing up paperwork)

The program was that Daily News Live bunch of hacks. I heard them say "onto the Devils and the Islanders" and that got my attention. So, the bald one or greasy one or whatever clown they had on said "let's talk about them now because the next time will be May". So they start getting into the season and one clown says out of the blue "there shouldn't be three teams" followed by something to the effect of "the Islanders are New York and never thought of the Devils as a New York team". Really, dipsh!t? Wow, that kind of insight gets you on TV, huh? Amazing!

In other words these three hacks wanted the Devils gone because the Islanders "are new york" and have been "successful in the 80's".

That was my laugh for the evening :lol:

Rule #1 of working in the NY media: Blindly hate the Devils because they don't play in NY, and are wildly more successful than any NY team not named the Yankees, while secretly wishing the Devils played at Madison Square Garden instead of the current laughinstock that does.

• Like 1

Rule #1 of working in the NY media: Blindly hate the Devils because they don't play in NY, and are wildly more successful than any NY team not named the Yankees, while secretly wishing the Devils played at Madison Square Garden instead of the current laughinstock that does.

Lol can I borrow that as my facebook status. That's classic.

Yeah i'm absolutely using this as a status update, fantastic

What I don't get is why they even bother to talk hockey when they know absolutely nothing about it. I would bet you they couldn't even name one islander!

Lesson learned: don't ever support that sh!t show with viewership and always make sure the remote is nearby.

Edited by devlman

http://web.sny.tv/media/video.jsp?content_id=19950117

For those who care. I know hockey is a solid 4th in NYC/NJ sports talk area but it still kills me that you can get a Nets conversation started easier when they do something then a Devils or Islanders when they do something. I mean come on the Nets couldn't get their last games of the season broadcast because no one wanted to take them when the Yankees had a conflict with them. Hell the Islanders regularly out rate the Nets and the Devils usually double them. But the one that really takes the cake for me was the years before last where St Johns would always get a lot of play when they sucked. They couldn't get flies to go to watch them in MSG but every March they had Fat ass Franceser and the 1050 ESPN guys talking about why St. Johns isn't good and how can they be popular again. The hell? IF no one watches then why would we care to listen about them?

St. John's is New Yawk. The sportscasters fit a certain demographic, they were sorta a big deal in the 80's. Would be like me getting a show 10 years down the road and waxing poetic about Randy McKay, people would spin the dial so fast it would probably fall off, but to me it's relevant. Especially Francesa because that's when he was doing national college basketball studio work.

Well, soon enough they will be irrelevant forever when the football schools all run from the Big East, so you won't have to worry about that anymore.

Not to make excuses for Francesa -- because I find him to be the ultimate egomaniac -- but I think he is a St. John's alumnus.

As for the SNY guys, MadDog2020 nailed it with Rule #1.

Not really, most of those guys don't give two sh!ts about hockey in general. Which is why it goes back to the 80's again... with the Islanders. It's what they remember. They're all woefully out of touch.

Not really, most of those guys don't give two sh!ts about hockey in general. Which is why it goes back to the 80's again... with the Islanders. It's what they remember. They're all woefully out of touch.

A lot of them did hop on the bandwagon for the '94 Rangers...I remember Francesa and Russo being part of the postgame on MSG.

Oh, without a doubt, the majority of the New York media could not care less about hockey. But at the same time, on those rarest of rare occasions when hockey is being discussed, the Devils seem to be an afterthought. Or else they are just as likely to find something negative to say about the team -- such as they don't sell out, or they're boring, or they owe money to Newark, etc. -- as they are to say something positive.

Most NY newspaper and sports talk guys grew up around baseball, football, and basketball for a number of reasons.

1- Basketball is the traditional "city games" and there have been 2,000 big time college/pro basketball players produced out of the NY area to every big hockey player. To cover basketball in a city that large you need to get contacts on the grass-roots level. Even hockey fans have problems trying to figure out the Canadian Junior player development model let alone non-hockey fans. Other sports: high school (+AAU)->college->pros = simplicity.

2- Baseball as the only game in summer and Yankees success (boomers grew up with Mantle era; Gen-X with Bronx Zoo, Gen-Y with Jeter era). Mets fans boomers remember 1969 & 73, Gen-X with 1986, and Gen-Y loves Jose Reyes.

3- Both basketball and football are huge gambling sports that require a lot of "insider info" for wise-guy players. Example: Francesa cut his teeth at CBS as an errund boy for Jimmy The Greek during the 80's getting inside info on the NFL and college basketball to gamble on. Hockey is a terrible sport to gamble on so it doesn't draw-in that extra interest.

4- Most reporters begin covering sports on high school and college level and those are basketball and football. This is the same not only in New York but nationally where it seems most newspaper columnists and ESPN personallities come from: Kornheiser, Greenburg, etc.