Current Devils need unselfish, team approach Joe Nieuwendyk brought

Mitico12

Well there's only one or two guys on the team that can win a scoring title and that got referenced :lol:

It's easy to pin everything on Kovy but I think if anything a lot of his 'selfishness' comes from caring too much, trying to do everything by himself. There probably is truth to that criticism, though not in the way it gets perceived by the Kovy haters.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Could be one guy. Could be the whole locker room. Could simply be Lou and Elias making a statement to the whole team that everybody needs to put individuality aside and become one machine. All I read into the article is that the team hasn't completely cast aside doing things individuality yet. You see our third line and how they've played lately. They seem to get what Lou and Elias are saying above the rest of the team right now. Same with the fourth line.

Read the article. I think there are some subconscious jabs at Kovy by both Lou and Patty Elias here (IMO). I could be overblowing or reading into it a bit.

.... :blink:

if anything Kovy could be WAY MORE selfish in the offensive zone

Hes the first person that came to my mind when I read "unselfish"

What they said. Kovy always (almost to a FAULT) looks for a pass when he breaks into the zone. He doesn't pull an Ovy and try the 1-v-1 move for the sexy highlight goal.

Do people actually watch the game, or just know OF Kovalchuk, this supremely offensively gifted player and assume he's a selfish jackass? And that everyone else on the team MUST resent him? For fvcks sake people...

/rant

Edited by Devilsfan118

.... :blink:

What they said. Kovy always (almost to a FAULT) looks for a pass when he breaks into the zone. He doesn't pull an Ovy and try the 1-v-1 move for the sexy highlight goal.

Do people actually watch the game, or just know OF Kovalchuk, this supremely offensively gifted player and assume he's a selfish jackass? And that everyone else on the team MUST resent him? For fvcks sake people...

/rant

I do think he tries to do a little to much from time to time but he is trying Ill give him that. Live I have previously said, he isnt known for being a play maker, he is known for having a deadly shot. If you have a player that can set him up, your golden.

I do think he tries to do a little to much from time to time but he is trying Ill give him that. Live I have previously said, he isnt known for being a play maker, he is known for having a deadly shot. If you have a player that can set him up, your golden.

if he didn't, we would all say what did we bring him in for? he's damned both ways. when we get zajac back, and get him (the correct-maybe napalm) right winger to balence it out.

wayne gretzky led the league in giveaways too, fyi

Your point being?

With Gretzky, it's kind of allowed when you're the best player ever to play in the NHL.

Kovy's not even the best player on his own team.

wayne gretzky led the league in giveaways too, fyi

That's because Gretzky always had the puck and always creating something. There's a difference in a player looking to create then a player selfishly trying to beat a team 1 on 3 or a player blindly throwing it around like a hot potato.

Edited by SJP20

i don't even think giveaways are a meaningful stat because of scorer bias. my point is that kovalchuk being a leader in giveaways means he gets the puck a lot. i wouldn't be surprised if kovalchuk has the puck more often than anyone in the league.

Edited by Triumph

i don't even think giveaways are a meaningful stat because of scorer bias. my point is that kovalchuk being a leader in giveaways means he gets the puck a lot. i wouldn't be surprised if kovalchuk has the puck more often than anyone in the league.

It may be a meaningless stat but its a meaningful play. You can't score or generate scoring when you're too busy giving it away because you think you can carry into the zone against both defensemen.