Rats' Giroux Finds Holes Around Net

RowdyFan42

Rats' Giroux finds holes around net

New defenseman second on the club in scoring

By MATT GRAVES, Staff writer

First published: Wednesday, October 23, 2002

BETHLEHEM -- Ray Giroux is a defenseman, but he has an uncanny knack for scoring points, and that's one of the reasons the New Jersey Devils picked up his contract when he became a free agent.

Through five games with the River Rats, the 26-year-old certainly hasn't disappointed. The 6-1, 190-pounder is second on the team with eight points (2-6), including a game-winning goal against Norfolk.

Giroux is one of several reasons the lowest-scoring team in the AHL last season is currently the league's highest-scoring club with 20 goals. Twelve different players have taken part in the scoring.

Giroux is the AHL's top-scoring defenseman -- and teammate Craig Darby the overall league scoring leader (3-8-11) -- after the Rats ended a 23-game winless road streak at Hershey over the weekend. They lost 4-3 at Norfolk the night before.

"You can't be too satisfied because we blew a game Saturday night we should have won," said Giroux, who scored 53 points (13-40) for Bridgeport last season. "We gave up a two-goal lead in the third period. You can't do that. Hopefully we learned from it."

The Rats reversed things against Hershey, coming back three times and then blowing it open with five third-period goals in an 8-3 blowout. Mike Rupp had his first two goals of the season for the Rats, and Scott Cameron, Dave Roche, Christian Berglund, Mikko Jokela and Daryl Andrews their first.

"We got scoring from almost everyone, and that's what we're gonna need to win games," Giroux said. "We can't just rely on a couple of forwards."

Coach Red Gendron couldn't agree more.

"We need to have more than one line score," he said. "Guys other than the most likely suspects chipped in, and that's huge."

Sutton gets call: Captain Ken Sutton was called up after Saturday's game at Norfolk, not by the Devils -- by his wife's pediatrician.

Sutton and wife Danielle became the proud parents of twin girls Emma and Olivia during the Rats' road trip to Norfolk. The team flew Sutton back to Albany for the birth, which was four or five weeks premature. All parties are reported to be doing well.

The Rats' bus trip through Virginia to Hershey was also interrupted on several occasions by detours because of activities surrounding the at-large sniper.

"We didn't get in until quarter of five in the morning," Gendron said. "We also had to get Kenny (Sutton) to the airport. (Against Hershey) we were a little sluggish out of the chute. All things considered, it was a pretty good weekend."

Lehoux mending: Forward Jason Lehoux, who injured his right knee in an awkward fall during Albany's opener at Rochester, could be back in the lineup this weekend.

"My skate got stuck and I twisted it, but it's nothing serious," he said. "After the last two years, I just want to play. I can't wait to get back. When I don't play in a game I'm sad."

Ice chips: Safety netting is expected to be installed behind both goals at Pepsi Arena for Friday's game. ... Darby, Rob Skrlac and Mike Matteucci spent some extra time on the ice Tuesday filming a TV segment for Sunday's 10:30 edition of "Carmine's Table" on WNYT. ... Joe Hulbig's four goals have come on only eight shots.