New Devils Financial News

njdevil26

Not clicking on your link but just looking at the address.... good example right there. People stopped going to see the Flint Tropics because the condition that Flint was in. I mean that was back in the days when you could trade a washing machine for a point guard!

lol dude click the link and click the link below the excerpt. Elizabeth is higher than Newark, while Detroit and St. Louis are 2 and 3 respectively. http://www.businessinsider.com/most-dangerous-cities-2011-9#2-detroit-mich-24

lol dude click the link and click the link below the excerpt. Elizabeth is higher than Newark, while Detroit and St. Louis are 2 and 3 respectively. http://www.businessi...detroit-mich-24

lol I know. I just wanted a reason to mention the Flint Tropics haha. Anyway, I've seen that list before. I am surprised at the location of Elizabeth. The last list I saw had Camden as #2, Trenton as #14, Reading PA (where I went to college) as #20 and Newark as #21.

The high populations still don't stop 2 them from being ranked at the top of the list in most dangerous cities: http://www.businessinsider.com/most-dangerous-cities-2011-9#1-flint-mich-25. And competition from the other teams wasn't the point.

thats not my point. although LA and Chicago, etc. have poor crime rates, they also have a population that would cover for those who wouldnt want to venture into a crime-ridden city.. newark obviously does not have that population and potential fan base to cover up

Neither do our fans. And the Joe is still located in an awful part of downtown according to folks who have been there(including Red Wing fans).

It's not located within downtown, it's located in one of the rougher areas of the city. Even Devils fans who have been there say it's much worse than where our arena is located. As far as the subway, distance between the arena and station(which has 1 line) is longer than the distance between the Rock and Penn Station(which has multiple transit lines and an indoor skywalk up near the arena).

What about the fans using Metrolink coming through E. St. Louis and others? St. Louis is still ranked near the top of most dangerous cities in the nation like Detroit.

Also borders South LA and prostitution remains a problem outside the LA Live area. Folks coming in from the south have to go through bad areas too.

Sorry, is there a Macy's next to the Joe or United Center? What you just described on Market Street is what you described for the areas immediately surrounding the Joe United Center, even north and east of the Verizon Center(been there 2008 and 2009, I can vouch for this). As shabby as that area is, it's not the heart of the bad area, that would be further west. And why would you make a turn up Clinton Avenue when you have 21, Broad Street and the trains to take?

The subway is 2 blocks away with a line that has a station in Bloomfield with a park/ride. How is it not useable?

If you honestly believe Ironbound is the ONLY good area of the city you're kidding yourself. I've been throughout the city, live closeby and that statement is so ignorant it's not even funny. Most of North Newark would like a word with you. Same with the downtown CBD(didn't know skyscrapers, NJPAC, museums and others=garbage dump). It's fine if you hate Newark so much, but if it's so bad why would they put an arena and the state's performing arts center there?

Your information about the United Center is dead wrong. I've walked around that area at 1 am numerous times either attending Devils games when they play the hawks and going to the Pitchfork music festival. It has been gentrified now for nearly a decade.

Edited by Beetlebum

The Morris-Dover line is joke getting to Newark. First, it lets you off at Broad Street Station, then you need to catch a bus to the Rock. It takes close to an hour on the train, and it costs each person almost as much to take the train as it does to park. I drive from Parsippany and get to the arena is less than a 1/2 hour. The train may be a better option from places in Monmouth and Middlesex Counties, but not from most of Morris County. But that's why they chose to build in Newark to begin with, it provides everyone with an option to get there.

That's why I usually drive from Madison to South Orange, then take the train lol. It costs $4.50 round trip from there with free parking at the station plus $3 for the bus or light rail and I don't have to worry about traffic, construction, or some drunk douche causing an accident getting behind the wheel when they drink and drive from games.

Just a thought, but have you ever had to drive WESTBOUND on 280 or 80 between 5 and 7 pm on a weekday? Especially through Essex and Passaic Counties to get to your beloved Parsippany? You by driving EASTBOUND on those highways are going AGAINST traffic at that hour.

I work in West Orange and live in Rockaway, so have I ever driven westbound or WESTBOUND as you put it.Yes I think I have and the only day it's really congested is Friday between those hours. No I don't live in Parsippany surprised?

Parsippany??

Totally absurd and just plain stupid.

I actually really enjoy going to Newark for the games.

In 5-10 years I think the area surrounding the Rock becomes totally revitalized.

In the next 5 years the area surrounding the Rock will be totally uninhabitable unless you are a murderer or a thief.....lol Just because you stick the Rock in the middle of Newark, doesn't mean it's going to solve all of their problems.

Edited by TheMazz

thats not my point. although LA and Chicago, etc. have poor crime rates, they also have a population that would cover for those who wouldnt want to venture into a crime-ridden city.. newark obviously does not have that population and potential fan base to cover up

Theres only 22 million people within the same metro area as Newark to 'cover it up'. Youre assuming that all cities have the same population density and land size. Someone within LA can drive miles and miles to get to Staples Center, while someone several towns over from Newark can drive a shorter distance to get to the Pru.

Edited by devlman

My wife and i take the train from Morris County to games. While it takes a good hour, it is more convienient for us as we both work/live in the area. We can drive there faster, but we prefer relaxing/eating on the train after a long day. We've never driven to a game and never will. The cost is relative. I'd rather spend the $ to ride a train then the same amount to drive anyday.

Why take the bus to the Rock? Take the light rail, too.

hmmmm seems to me the majority of people drive to the game. I usually take 3 or 4 people each time.What would that cost on the train bus light rail? How cool that must be to be waiting on the platform in Newark for the train out at 11pm. I park in the lot across the street from the Rock for 30 bucks. If you get lost on the way home like I did the first game, you can end up in some very deadly areas.

hmmmm seems to me the majority of people drive to the game. I usually take 3 or 4 people each time.What would that cost on the train bus light rail? How cool that must be to be waiting on the platform in Newark for the train out at 11pm. I park in the lot across the street from the Rock for 30 bucks. If you get lost on the way home like I did the first game, you can end up in some very deadly areas.

Mazz, your just spewing the usual suburbanite stereotypes that get all Newarker's like myself frustrated. You can not seriously think the areas around the rock are "the move dangerous in the country". Newark does have those, just drive through or around the Irvington border and you know right away. Downtown is not one of those areas although many parts of SOMA (which happen to be being bulldozed to build teachers village) look like the worst parts of town.

The point as this whole post has digressed is that the Devils ownership invested in downtown Newark and may have Bankrupted themselves in doing it. As long as people still come to see devil games and that arena still draws people to events, you will continue to see hotels, apartments, restaurants and retail develop around the arena. I have no idea what Chambers is or was doing but he assisted in getting the Devils and the arena here so I am thankful for that. I find the should of/ would of / could of discussion points rather mute and an exercise in futility. Newark IS the home of the Devils and will be for many more years and every year their home city improves and provides a better experience for us fans to enjoy.

Edited by newarkdev01

Are we really still having this conversation all these years later? At this point there are many reasons for people to go to Newark.

From a work perspective:

Prudential

IDT

Horizon BlueCross-BlueShield

NJ Transit

Manischewitz

Soon: Panasonic

From an cultural/entertainment perspective:

Prudential Center

NJPAC

Symphony Hall

Newark Museum

Bears & Eagles Riverfront Stadium

New Jersey Historical Society

Jewish Museum of New Jersey

Red Bull Stadium (across the river in Harrison)

From a transit/logistical perspective:

Newark International Airport

Newark Penn Station

Newark Broad Street Station

Port Newark-Elizabeth Seaport

NJ Turnpike

I-78

Garden State Parkway

I-280

Route 22

Route 1&9

I would say those are a lot of reasons to wind up in Newark.

I work in West Orange and live in Rockaway, so have I ever driven westbound or WESTBOUND as you put it.Yes I think I have and the only day it's really congested is Friday between those hours. No I don't live in Parsippany surprised?

If you live in the Denville/Rockaway/Parsippany/Dover area of Rt 80, the hours starting at 4 PM to at least 6PM (being conservative) during all WEEKDAYS are bumper to bumper heading West. You can drive Eastbound pretty well all things ocnsidered.

I know. I'm stuck in it. My wife is stuck in it and i live right off an exit in that area.

In the next 5 years the area surrounding the Rock will be totally uninhabitable unless you are a murderer or a thief.....lol Just because you stick the Rock in the middle of Newark, doesn't mean it's going to solve all of their problems.

LOL.

How cool that must be to be waiting on the platform in Newark for the train out at 11pm.

Awesome. It's alot of fun. Hanging with and talking hockey with other fans. Even better when the NYR have a home game and their fans are on board too. It's a great atmosphere. Stop being a suburbanite afraid of his own shadow, smarten up and have some fun.

Theres only 22 million people within the same metro area as Newark to 'cover it up'. Youre assuming that all cities have the same population density and land size. Someone within LA can drive miles and miles to get to Staples Center, while someone several towns over from Newark can drive a shorter distance to get to the Pru.

yea... and like i just said, there is also 3 teams in the metro areas around Newark that those millions of people can choose from.. two of them with much bigger fan bases.

which is NOT the case in Chicago and LA.. you're not gonna win this conversation if you think theres a team in Newark, NJ that is going to pull in more fans than in other cities. dont even compare the teams like when you said that crime should not be an issue when dealing with attendance because teams in larger cities pull it off- not much logic

Edited by Onddeck

yea... and like i just said, there is also 3 teams in the metro areas around Newark that those millions of people can choose from.. two of them with much bigger fan bases.

which is NOT the case in Chicago and LA.. you're not gonna win this conversation if you think theres a team in Newark, NJ that is going to pull in more fans than in other cities. dont even compare the teams like when you said that crime should not be an issue when dealing with attendance because teams in larger cities pull it off- not much logic

Well it is the case to a much lesser degree in LA given the fact that you've got the Anaheim Ducks in more or less the same general geographical area. However, you're figuring on a 22 million person metro area which would include almost all of New Jersey, parts of New York and parts of Connecticut.

I would personally figure on just a 6 million person area which is still larger than most of those other cities mentioned and which covers just Northern and Central New Jersey. You may say that those areas are still competing with 2 New York and 1 Philly teams, but I would say that in reality we're competing for the most part in those areas with the Rangers. The Islanders are too much a pain in the ass for most of New Jersey to get to and they've missed a full generation of young people in being lousy. The Flyers are too far away for North Jersey and for much of Central Jersey as well.

Realistically the only team we compete directly with for fans with are the Rangers. Hence I would compare our situation with that of the Anaheim Ducks, although I'm sure the Newark-bashers will be quick to point out that downtown Newark is no Disney Land.

Well it is the case to a much lesser degree in LA given the fact that you've got the Anaheim Ducks in more or less the same general geographical area. However, you're figuring on a 22 million person metro area which would include almost all of New Jersey, parts of New York and parts of Connecticut.

I would personally figure on just a 6 million person area which is still larger than most of those other cities mentioned and which covers just Northern and Central New Jersey. You may say that those areas are still competing with 2 New York and 1 Philly teams, but I would say that in reality we're competing for the most part in those areas with the Rangers. The Islanders are too much a pain in the ass for most of New Jersey to get to and they've missed a full generation of young people in being lousy. The Flyers are too far away for North Jersey and for much of Central Jersey as well.

Realistically the only team we compete directly with for fans with are the Rangers. Hence I would compare our situation with that of the Anaheim Ducks, although I'm sure the Newark-bashers will be quick to point out that downtown Newark is no Disney Land.

ok well i agree with most of that except that pretty much the entirety of south Jersey are flyers fans. My only point is that no one can dismiss the crime of newark by saying, "well the cities of Chicago and LA, etc. are dealing with the crime rates fine because their attendance is great."

Do you know what im saying? there are way too many other factors here

you're not gonna win this conversation if you think theres a team in Newark, NJ that is going to pull in more fans than in other cities.

Except they already have. They'd be dead last in the league year after year in attendance if they haven't. They even have outdrawn the Bruins and Capitals at one point.

If you want to talk attendance issues and how we have 2 other NHL teams in the area then thats one thing. But, I was responding directly to your post about other cities with poor crime rates having citizens within its borders to 'cover it up' which is absurd.

Edited by devlman

Are we really still having this conversation all these years later? At this point there are many reasons for people to go to Newark.

From a work perspective:

Prudential

IDT

Horizon BlueCross-BlueShield

NJ Transit

Manischewitz

Soon: Panasonic

From an cultural/entertainment perspective:

Prudential Center

NJPAC

Symphony Hall

Newark Museum

Bears & Eagles Riverfront Stadium

New Jersey Historical Society

Jewish Museum of New Jersey

Red Bull Stadium (across the river in Harrison)

From a transit/logistical perspective:

Newark International Airport

Newark Penn Station

Newark Broad Street Station

Port Newark-Elizabeth Seaport

NJ Turnpike

I-78

Garden State Parkway

I-280

Route 22

Route 1&9

I would say those are a lot of reasons to wind up in Newark.

All roads lead to Newark. :koolaid:

So I guess u go around asking everyone that attends a Nets game what religion they are and what their income is? and u came to the conclusion that everyone who is white is a Jew? hmmmmmmm. Definitely hard to believe or you are pulling our leg or you are a racist.

I think the ADMINS should consider banning you from this forum if you are a racist.

You need to end this talk now dude. This sh!t is ridiculous, and as racist as I have seen anything posted on this board.

Okay, I'll play your game. I don't ask anyone if they are jewish or not. There is usually an obvious sign to if a person is jewish or not. It's called a yamaka. Don't know if you ever heard of it. Men wear this, as well as their sons. Women wear skirts. For some reason they're not allowed to wear jeans/pants. And they don't show their legs, so the skirt is usually, but not always, accompanied by leggings or stockings of some sort. Having worked in a jewish owned and run office for over a year, they're pretty easy to spot. Also they're usually with a man with said yamaka. There are also some hasidic jews that attend games. Now they're real obvious to spot. No drivers license required! Not to mention the amount of people who ask me "Where is the kosher stand?" and the line that it usually has (btw it's outside section 10).

Now if you could realistically and logically explain how anything I said was racist I'd be rather shocked. You must be talking about me referring to a person as "black", since jewish isn't a race, I couldn't be racist even if I were bashing jews. So are we going by the media created term of racism where you put the adjective "black" in front of the noun "person" and suddenly you're a racist person? Because I didn't demean their culture or claim they were mentally inferior because they were born black instead of some other color or race. I was touching upon the idea brought up that hockey couldn't survive in newark but basketball could because newark is mostly blacks. As TheMazz alluded to and unknown poster touched on. (According to city-data Newark has a black population of 132,911 at 47.8% of the city and whites are at 45,308 for 16.3%. There's some "scientific" data for you. Or is it "racist" that such a graph even exists?) So we're imagining basketball can succeed in a city that has almost half a population of black people. But does anyone actually think a newark family, black or not, can actually afford season tickets to fill up the seats? Let alone 1 game in the $1,000 seats. I know I couldn't afford 1 game for myself, let alone a wife or a kid or two. Those seats go to jews (as I've noticed due to the yamaka they wear on their heads) and celebrities (who I've also noticed because the NBA enjoys showing them on the big screen. Kinda like a "see we have celebrities come to our games so you should come too!" type of thing). And those are the seats that make the arena money. Not the upper concourse seats that are like $30 bucks. And just like njdevil26 said, they're mostly business oriented people rather than the city dwelling population we think attend the games. And like I said before too, it's not the nets that sell out the place. It's the celtics, knicks, etc. A basketball team in newark wouldn't really fare any better than a hockey team because there are just more dominant teams in the area. Whether it's by winning % or longevity like rangers over devils.

I think anything further should be dealt with in a personal message.

Okay, I'll play your game. I don't ask anyone if they are jewish or not. There is usually an obvious sign to if a person is jewish or not. It's called a yamaka. Don't know if you ever heard of it. Men wear this, as well as their sons. Women wear skirts. For some reason they're not allowed to wear jeans/pants. And they don't show their legs, so the skirt is usually, but not always, accompanied by leggings or stockings of some sort. Having worked in a jewish owned and run office for over a year, they're pretty easy to spot. Also they're usually with a man with said yamaka. There are also some hasidic jews that attend games. Now they're real obvious to spot. No drivers license required! Not to mention the amount of people who ask me "Where is the kosher stand?" and the line that it usually has (btw it's outside section 10).

Now if you could realistically and logically explain how anything I said was racist I'd be rather shocked. You must be talking about me referring to a person as "black", since jewish isn't a race, I couldn't be racist even if I were bashing jews. So are we going by the media created term of racism where you put the adjective "black" in front of the noun "person" and suddenly you're a racist person? Because I didn't demean their culture or claim they were mentally inferior because they were born black instead of some other color or race. I was touching upon the idea brought up that hockey couldn't survive in newark but basketball could because newark is mostly blacks. As TheMazz alluded to and unknown poster touched on. (According to city-data Newark has a black population of 132,911 at 47.8% of the city and whites are at 45,308 for 16.3%. There's some "scientific" data for you. Or is it "racist" that such a graph even exists?) So we're imagining basketball can succeed in a city that has almost half a population of black people. But does anyone actually think a newark family, black or not, can actually afford season tickets to fill up the seats? Let alone 1 game in the $1,000 seats. I know I couldn't afford 1 game for myself, let alone a wife or a kid or two. Those seats go to jews (as I've noticed due to the yamaka they wear on their heads) and celebrities (who I've also noticed because the NBA enjoys showing them on the big screen. Kinda like a "see we have celebrities come to our games so you should come too!" type of thing). And those are the seats that make the arena money. Not the upper concourse seats that are like $30 bucks. And just like njdevil26 said, they're mostly business oriented people rather than the city dwelling population we think attend the games. And like I said before too, it's not the nets that sell out the place. It's the celtics, knicks, etc. A basketball team in newark wouldn't really fare any better than a hockey team because there are just more dominant teams in the area. Whether it's by winning % or longevity like rangers over devils.

I think anything further should be dealt with in a personal message.

um, i seriously hope my sarcasm detector is broken with what you wrote about Jewish people. i'm pretty sure it is but saying jewish people are "pretty easy to spot" might be the most ignorant thing i've ever heard.