Briere's Shootout Goal

Quinn01

Yes, he did stop. But the puck didn't, so it's totally fine. Or something.

But I thought it did stop.. I see him skate up, then put his stick in front of the puck, pull it back about 3 or so inches, and continue on.. To have the puck move backwards even the smallest amount means it had to have stopped

Side note: I was at the game and their fans reactions were hysterical.. Not only were they chanting "A$$HOLE" at the refs who would eventually side with them, but they had NO IDEA why it was being reviewed.. I had to explain it to the guys around me but they didn't seem interested in "logic"

• Like 1

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=2&id=132800

Interview with NHL VP Mike Murphy - He actually says something along the lines of "Sure, when you slow the replay down then you see it came to a stop, but you have to look at the play in real-time" It's at like 1:15

HOLY F***ING SH**!! So he's saying you have to look at replays in real-time?! WTF do we have replays for if we should only look at them in real time?? The damn ref on the ice is there looking at it in real time!! That's such a cop-out BS answer that I've lost all respect for replays.. The point is to get the damn call right!!

What I essentially got from this was "We did everything we could to ensure we had an excuse for giving the Flyers a chance.." Seriously, after the officials called a penalty on the Devils after every somewhat-physical play last night, coupled with the fact that we are continously screwed by replays (anyone recall the Clarkson "kick-in" against Ottawa last season that has been allowed at least 3 times since then against us) I really hate to say someone has it out for us but DAMN, the evidence is there

Edited by Colin226
  • Like 1

now this also means that a player can go wide right to left (or left to right) and if the goalie follows him and doesn't give him a shot, the player can then come around and try the other direction and back and forth as long as the puck is moving? Its clear that moving towards the goal line rule isn't enforced making it utterly useless.Or he can stand in front of the goalkeeper and just keeping moving the puck left and right and simply wait until the GK falls or makes the first move or something?

Edited by Anhkheg

You guys have pretty much said it all already. I just don't get the rule on forward motion then. It says the puck MUST continually be moving forward and it's pretty clear that Briere stops and while doing so pulls the puck back as he starts moving again. To repeat what you all have said already, if that's not considered as the puck stopping, then I guess nothing really is.

So basically Murphy is saying If the goalie cuts off all avenues of forward motion before the shooter gets his shot off the shooter can stop, regroup and change his direction as long as it's in about a 15-20 second - nah im being sarcastic. In reality in about a 5-10 second time frame.

Seriously. That what he thinks the spirit of the rule is.

Edited by Pepperkorn

The NHL has embarassed itself yet again. Just say you fvcked the call up and move on. The bullsh!t attempts at justification are flat-out cartoonish.

Thats exactly what I am saying. Its not amusing anymore and it needs to be taken under control IMO.

The NHL has embarassed itself yet again. Just say you fvcked the call up and move on. The bullsh!t attempts at justification are flat-out cartoonish.

Hit the nail on the head.. What a complete joke.. Just like how they defending Colin Campbell's decisions to no end and then pretty much dumped him for Shanny

What's annoying is Larssons hip check was in the spirit of the game. So much was "by the book" against the Devils but "Awe c'mon that's not the spirit of the rule" for the Flyers.

Awe c'mon. Devils are losers we can finally start calling it that way again. It's the spirit of the NHL. Flyers winners... Spirit of the game duh?

And STILL the Flyers can't pull the win out of theirass "Well good for the Devils! That's what makes hockey great!" coo the fvckheads in Toronto. Jackasses

Hit the nail on the head.. What a complete joke.. Just like how they defending Colin Campbell's decisions to no end and then pretty much dumped him for Shanny

It's like they just make the rules up as they go along. It's been this way for years, and it just seems to get progressively worse. There's no accountability by anyone. It's a joke that a major professional sports league operates this way.

Yeah. On the nose. Someone didn't really look at the play. They saw the rearview replay In real time. Hey were busy here. Yeah. Have another donut.... Eh?

Edited by Pepperkorn

It's like they just make the rules up as they go along. It's been this way for years, and it just seems to get progressively worse. There's no accountability by anyone. It's a joke that a major professional sports league operates this way.

Thats exactly how it is. They go by the game. If the one ref feels that the Devils dont deserve to have the call go in their favor then it isnt. Thats as far as it goes. The refs arent being looked at as if they represent the NHL and all that is fair in the world. They are their own bosses. The calls need to be in the sake of hockey, not the outcome.

I mean i dont like to sound like a whinning fan saying that the refs and the league are always against us... Saying the others teams never get calls and that we get them all... Its totally ridiculous, how could it be possible really?

But damn those last 2 years are terrible and its mind boggling... Again were last in the league on drawn penaltes and all those no goals call against us and the good goals allowed for the other team... Its troubling

Edited by SterioDesign

But damn those last 2 years are terrible and its mind boggling... Again were last in the league on drawn penaltes and all those no goals call against us and the good goals allowed for the other team... Its troubling

There really does seem to be a lot of pucks that don't bounce our way and also calls that go against us.

In other news, I hate to support Briere, but I think it was a good goal and the puck did not go backwards or stop. It looked to me like he flicked the puck towards the side/corner while he was snowing Moose and then was able to keep control of it while he restarted. It was never really a question of him stopping either, I was watching the puck and it was good. And another thing someone sed is true. It is good they counted the goal or ALL of Philthadelphia would have been bitching about how unfair the officiating was even with all the BULLsh!t calls that were made FOR them.

I mean i dont like to sound like a whinning fan saying that the refs and the league are always against us... Saying the others teams never get calls and that we get them all... Its totally ridiculous, how could it be possible really?

I feel the exact same way as you.. I hate to be one of those people claiming the league is out to get us, but we have been shafted the past 2 seasons and it's frustrating

I feel the exact same way as you.. I hate to be one of those people claiming the league is out to get us, but we have been shafted the past 2 seasons and it's frustrating

I dont think its the league, or Bettman handing down the orders to stomp our team with calls but I think its just the issue with so many different opinions on what the calls constitute as. There needs to be rules and regulations for the refs as well.

How much training and classes are required to become a NHL referee?

I dont think its the league, or Bettman handing down the orders to stomp our team with calls but I think its just the issue with so many different opinions on what the calls constitute as. There needs to be rules and regulations for the refs as well.

How much training and classes are required to become a NHL referee?

There does seem to be some ambiguity with this rule and also the kicking motion. It's such a difficult sport to officiate I think they should focus on making the rules more clear and concise so that less is left up to interpretation. Why not make it if the puck or the player stops on a penalty shot it's no goal, and any time the puck is knocked in with any motion (kicking or not) it doesn't count? It would be harder to screw that up, so we would have more consistent officiating.

As for training and classes required to become an NHL ref--it is almost impossible to work your way up that far, or any minor league. Think of how virtually impossible it is to become a professional hockey player, and then realize that become a pro ref is even much more exclusive than that. It's not like you just send your resume, fill out an application, check off the box that asks if you can skate, and wait to be called in for an interview.

While I'm on this tangent, I can't stand the people who say the refs suck or are blind, etc. I know this isn't what you're saying here, but those people really just don't get it and have obviously never reffed a game in their life. Things happen at such a ridiculous pace in this sport, especially at the pro level, and the on-ice officials are right in the middle of the action where it happens so much faster than we see it happen in our zoomed out view on TV or in the stands. Now when the video goal judge, who has the luxury of watching plays happen over and over and over again at a much slower pace, gets a call wrong, that's when I get frustrated.

Edited by devilsfan26

There does seem to be some ambiguity with this rule and also the kicking motion. It's such a difficult sport to officiate I think they should focus on making the rules more clear and concise so that less is left up to interpretation. Why not make it if the puck or the player stops on a penalty shot it's no goal, and any time the puck is knocked in with any motion (kicking or not) it doesn't count? It would be harder to screw that up, so we would have more consistent officiating.

As for training and classes required to become an NHL ref--it is almost impossible to work your way up that far, or any minor league. Think of how virtually impossible it is to become a professional hockey player, and then realize that become a pro ref is even much more exclusive than that. It's not like you just send your resume, fill out an application, check off the box that asks if you can skate, and wait to be called in for an interview.

While I'm on this tangent, I can't stand the people who say the refs suck or are blind, etc. I know this isn't what you're saying here, but those people really just don't get it and have obviously never reffed a game in their life. Things happen at such a ridiculous pace in this sport, especially at the pro level, and the on-ice officials are right in the middle of the action where it happens so much faster than we see it happen in our zoomed out view on TV or in the stands. Now when the video goal judge, who has the luxury of watching plays happen over and over and over again at a much slower pace, gets a call wrong, that's when I get frustrated.

Well thats true. I mean they are human after all. Ofcourse they will make mistakes. They only have 2 eyes etc. I just think that they need to be more on key with eachother and know what they are calling....then call it. The problem is these mistakes are constantly happening on a regular basis. That is what needs to change. Im not saying that these guys arent doing a good job because they are absolutely doing a great job, they just need to be more on par. I wouldnt even say its their fault, its the NHL's for not organizing the issues at hand.

Yes, it seems like Murphy is reading the rules improperly. Murphy applies the spin-o-rama rule to a non spin-o-rama play.

:lol: @ Murphy saying that slow motion shouldn't be used because that's an unfair analysis. So he is saying that it is better to get the call wrong than to use slow motion, which is a ridiculous position for an instant replay judge.

Just crazy that an NHL official has an official explanation that bears no relation to the rule as written.

Wow, so he basically admits that there is almost no situation where the rule will be enforced. The PUCK has to come to a stop? Seriously? It's on ice, dude, it's never going to happen. So in other words, there's nothing wrong with a player coming to a complete stop for ten minutes right in front of the goalie as long as he keeps stick handling the puck? Wow. How long until this non-rule gets abused?

How COULD have briere been "more" stopped exactly? He stopped.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=2&id=132800

Interview with NHL VP Mike Murphy - He actually says something along the lines of "Sure, when you slow the replay down then you see it came to a stop, but you have to look at the play in real-time" It's at like 1:15

HOLY F***ING SH**!! So he's saying you have to look at replays in real-time?! WTF do we have replays for if we should only look at them in real time?? The damn ref on the ice is there looking at it in real time!! That's such a cop-out BS answer that I've lost all respect for replays.. The point is to get the damn call right!!

What I essentially got from this was "We did everything we could to ensure we had an excuse for giving the Flyers a chance.." Seriously, after the officials called a penalty on the Devils after every somewhat-physical play last night, coupled with the fact that we are continously screwed by replays (anyone recall the Clarkson "kick-in" against Ottawa last season that has been allowed at least 3 times since then against us) I really hate to say someone has it out for us but DAMN, the evidence is there

i agree with you all... i'm starting to think Murphy's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

It seems pretty clear that the league screwed this call up. When the justification is that instant replay reviews shouldn't be reviewed using one of the most important tools in the instant replay arsenal ... slow-motion ... you know they're just trying to save face.

That makes the most disturbing part the fact that they can't admit they screwed up. This was a pretty good chance for them to do just that since the blown call didn't lead to the offending team winning. But the NHL's need to maintain their veil of infallibility just makes them look too stupid to realize how stupid they are.

Just say you got it wrong but are thankful that it didn't change the outcome of the game. We're all human. It happens.

It seems pretty clear that the league screwed this call up. When the justification is that instant replay reviews shouldn't be reviewed using one of the most important tools in the instant replay arsenal ... slow-motion ... you know they're just trying to save face.

That makes the most disturbing part the fact that they can't admit they screwed up. This was a pretty good chance for them to do just that since the blown call didn't lead to the offending team winning. But the NHL's need to maintain their veil of infallibility just makes them look too stupid to realize how stupid they are.

Just say you got it wrong but are thankful that it didn't change the outcome of the game. We're all human. It happens.

And the league has already admitted 2 other times where they blatantly disregarded a rule or screwed up royally that worked against the Devils, so what's the big deal with a third?