Powerplay opportunities drought

SterioDesign

so like i said in another thread , i don't like to sound like the league is against us and all...

but looking at the PPO stats post-lockout we're either terrible at drawing penalties or the refs just doesnt call much against us

here's our ranking in every year:

'06 - 27th

'07 - 27th

'08 - 26th

'09 - 30th

'10 - 27th

'11 - 30th

'12 - 30th (so far)

i mean... wtf seriously? during those years we often played a possession game which "should" result in more hooking, holding and trip penalties eventually?

I think the leauge has its favorites....and we're not one of them

The Rangers had like 10 or more PP's against the Canadiens the other night.....thats rediculous, its a whole period with a man (or two) advantage, and some of those calls were super weak.

Every time we play the Pens its like 8-2 in pp's vs pk's (with them getting the 8 pp's)

The other night against the Flyers we were on the short end of the calls (esp that interference call against Napalm)

sometimes I just turn the game off it gets so obvious

You draw calls with a strong puck possession game, offensive pressure (sustained is always good) and keeping your feet moving.

The Devils are either a team that isn't offensively good enough on a night in night out basis or they do not play a style condusive to drawing calls. This has been a problem for years and it isn't based on diving and embellishing only.

It could also be that more upbeat offensive teams are more prone to drawing more holding and interference calls to slow them down. Where we tend to play a more conservative game. Philly and Vancouver have the most oppurtunities. You look at their teams and they have a lot of guys that have finesse. Not that our guys don't, but these teams center their gameplans around their offense. A quick offense is more difficult to keep up with then a conservative one, so slower guys and fatigued guys may try to slow down these guys with the holds or interferences.

No moving of the puck. The puck is passed, but everybody is static. We need someone at the point that can move with the puck to create opening. When you pass it and stay static the passing lanes and shooting lanes are always the same and you play right into the opposite PK units hand since they can easily block the same passing lanes during the 2 mins and the shots are easily blocked by the goalie if defense didn't already block it.

You draw calls with a strong puck possession game, offensive pressure (sustained is always good) and keeping your feet moving.

The Devils are either a team that isn't offensively good enough on a night in night out basis or they do not play a style condusive to drawing calls. This has been a problem for years and it isn't based on diving and embellishing only.

New Jersey has been one of the better puck possession teams every year for the past 4 or so.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

New Jersey has been one of the better puck possession teams every year for the past 4 or so.

They by and large do not keep their feet moving enough to draw calls on their puck posession game. It's too static. A strong puck posession game forces your opponent to use the stick more and take the body. That's where the intereference, hooking and holding are the most called.

You can have a strong puck posession game and create with the puck and keep the feet moving or you can play a glorified version of keep away. The Devils too often like to do the latter.

Also, 1) playing dump and chase instead of carrying the puck into the zone and 2) carrying the puck through the neutral zone and hitting the blue line without enough support with you won't draw anything either.

It's the style the Devils play.

Edited by SJP20

No moving of the puck. The puck is passed, but everybody is static. We need someone at the point that can move with the puck to create opening. When you pass it and stay static the passing lanes and shooting lanes are always the same and you play right into the opposite PK units hand since they can easily block the same passing lanes during the 2 mins and the shots are easily blocked by the goalie if defense didn't already block it.

Did you even read the initial post? It's not about power play goals, it's about power plays in general - the Devils are typically last or near last in penalty drawing.

I think it's a combination of things - NJ doesn't dive, typically - they don't take penalties (this year so far has been an exception but I don't think it will continue), and refs are hesitant to call an uneven game. I also think the team is typically conservative offensively, but it's hard to say what the real cause is. Diving isn't going to draw that many penalties.

Did you even read the initial post? It's not about power play goals, it's about power plays in general - the Devils are typically last or near last in penalty drawing.I think it's a combination of things - NJ doesn't dive, typically - they don't take penalties (this year so far has been an exception but I don't think it will continue), and refs are hesitant to call an uneven game. I also think the team is typically conservative offensively, but it's hard to say what the real cause is. Diving isn't going to draw that many penalties.

oops :doh1: My fault... I tend to go crazy every time I hear/read power play because we score every 25 PP.

Yea we also don't draw enough penalties like you said.

I think another thing that has to be considered is the officiating in this league overall. The Devils seem to be a team that hurts themselves by not helping their cause, but that's a small issue compared to the overall picture.

I find myself not even watching hockey on most nights the Devils aren't playing. I just don't enjoy the game seeing bad calls, penalty parades, even ups and blatent missed calls and having good games decided by any of the above.

I think another thing that has to be considered is the officiating in this league overall. The Devils seem to be a team that hurts themselves by not helping their cause, but that's a small issue compared to the overall picture. I find myself not even watching hockey on most nights the Devils aren't playing. I just don't enjoy the game seeing bad calls, penalty parades, even ups and blatent missed calls and having good games decided by any of the above.

Agreed. The officiating in general in the league is not very good and inconsistent. Small compared to the overall picture, but still a big issue in the league in general.

I've always noticed this. It also seems like this team hasn't gotten a first period power play all season. I'll have to check.. it may have happened once or twice.

After research, obviously I was wrong.

14 penalties (non-fighting) were taken by the opposing team in the first period this season in 12 games.

What makes that a more interesting number is that FIVE penalties were taken by Nashville in the first period of that game. There may have been some overlapping penalties with ones that Devils players took because I don't think we had five powerplays in the first period of that game.

Something I like to pair with this statistic is first period goals....

5 first period goals all season.

I attribute this to the team getting off to slow starts. They always start games somewhat on the defensive and feel out the other team. If they would get going faster, move their legs more, and try to get an early goal and have a strong first period, the other team would be forced to take more penalties and the goal number would climb too.

Edited by njdevil26

Hell, Anton V got hooked off the puck against the Jets in everyone's sight and there was no call. How could we expect to get the little ones. I think hockey should be officiated from above. They suck at ground level.

Edited by peteyvegas

I don't like our set up. 2 at the point, 1 at the boards, 2 at the net. We never control the puck behind the opponents net and never try for crossice one-timers. Almost always obvious shots from the point, specially with kovalchuk, or defllection attempts.

My biggest problem is that everyone gets in their position and stands there. There's no reason for the opposition's penalty kill to get out of position. The Devils again and again try to get Kovalchuk to attract attention by setting up a one timer so he can pass to someone who has a more clear lane to shoot. The Devils need a Brian Gionta type player in front of the net (should be Parise or Clarkson) with a player like Zubrus down low where he can operate along the board and crash the net. Kovy should be mobile as well.There's never any movement.

I don't like our set up. 2 at the point, 1 at the boards, 2 at the net. We never control the puck behind the opponents net and never try for crossice one-timers. Almost always obvious shots from the point, specially with kovalchuk, or defllection attempts.

again this topic isnt about our PP scoring its about our powerplay opportunities

New jersey doesn't dive, plain and simple. Lou is old school and that sort of behavior is frowned upon.

This. And this is pretty sad that officials cant call it like they are supposed to.

Although i would go further to add that some refs do indeed have it in for us. That Jets' second goal off the hook had me breaking stuff in my house.

I also want to add since we are on the topic of referees that interference calls arent made like theyre supposed to. Im talking about the defenseman shifting lanes to prevent a forechecker to chase after the puck he just dumped in.

Where have they been ranked in taking penalties in comparison? Maybe teams know to play a disciplined game vs the Devils.

Strangely we're at the bottom in that category too lol or that the ref just doesnt notice ANYTHING Devils related? lol

'06 - 30th

'07 - 30th

'08 - 25th

'09 - 22th

'10 - 30th

'11 - 30th

'12 - 19th (so far)

Devils don't dive, they don't whine, and they don't (or haven't previously) play(ed) a very aggressive offensive game.

I feel like a lot of interference, hooking/holding etc. penalties are drawn on the forecheck which the Devils have never really emphasized

Edited by Devilsfan118

Devils don't dive, they don't whine, and they don't (or haven't previously) play(ed) a very aggressive offensive game.

I feel like a lot of interfere, hooking/holding etc. penalties are drawn on the forecheck which the Devils have never really emphasized

Your avatar sums it up, frustratingly. :angry:

its clear that we have a ton of talent on the PP unit.. its not that we aren't seeing opportunities, its that we're not creating them!! we all see them get setup nicely, then hold the puck. when the point dishes it down to the boards he just stands there with it, and passes the puck back up top.

when you look at other teams on that unit, the more they get the puck in front of that net the more they score. we have to cause havoc and make the opponents' PK move and get out of position. there should be a strong look for a one-timer from the guy at the boards to a guy near the net. that pass should be made at least once every powerplay

I would guess it's mostly that the Devils don't take many penalties and they tend to play tight/low scoring games. In both cases the refs are looking to call less penalties overall so as not to affect the game. Of course, we know their lack of calling penalties can affect the game but the refs won't be as noticed through not calling a penalty as they will by calling a penalty that leads to a PP goal, in most cases.